xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
exemption

Help With C++

Of course, first you need a c++ compiler, borland has a good one, and the best is that it is free, you also have gnu c compiler(gcc and g++) but it is some poor under windows.Then you need to know about data structures, most of the information of objects and players are stored in them. You alsoneed information about sockets(winsock2 for windows) in order to comunicate between servers and clients.After that you will be thinling about graphics, there you have 2 choices, the easy one is use a "graphic engine"(3d engine maybe), and the other one is write your own engine, there you can use OpenGL(portable, you can compile the program under unix and windows) and DirectX(only windows).The just start coding.RegardsPD: Write if you need more information.

That'll depend, if you're willing to make a client (.exe) then no, .NET will be a lot better, but for web-based text-based games (like, stargatewars), um... still no... Yoou'll need server scripting to do that (for example php, mysql, perl, oracle) etc... If you're starting your own text-based MMORPG (like Stargatewars), then I would recommend you start off with a Kings of Chaos Clone, they are almost everywhere on the net now, and even though they have so many SQL injection holes, and bugs, its a great way to start your own MMORPG that is text-based, and browser-based...Moving on to executable MMORPGs (like, I don't know... World of Warcraft?), you'll need a game engine for that, depends what you need the engine to do, engines like FPS creator or Game Maker aren't really good as they are somewhat "too basic" and you won't learn anything... But I would recommend something like the OGRE3D engine for you as it is free and has a very large community that can back you up...And last thing... Most of us have dreams of making a game ourselves that can rival commercial games and be rich, some of us will succeed (like Linus Torvalds (the creator of Linux operating system)), but you've got to remember that unless you and your team has lots of experience and time devoted to this, the game will never be completed, and it might never even be started!So going on to good news now... With C++, it is only for applications and cannot be web-based, to make something like Runescape, you'll need to learn JAVA or .NET, but for something like StargateWars, just PHP and SQL would be fine, though if you're extra security conscience, I would recommend you learn PERL and SQL... So good luck making your game (not a bit sarcastic), and remember that the Xisto community are always here and willing to help! :D

In my opinion C++ is the best language for game development, then you can develop a text based game, and if you like to port it to a graphic mode you will be able to do it without many problems.

One of the best examples is http://www.nethack.org/, it is text based and open source so you can check it.

If you want to do it game just for fun and to enjoy the development, the best would be to start from the ground. If you want to make it in order to sell it, then you should go from scracth.

Regards

PD: If you want to post a project(only open source), you can use https://sourceforge.net/.

Yes, c++ is very good text game development(i used it for that), but i am not so sure that it is good choice for 2D or 3D game development. Reason is that it be can very complicated in solveing some simple problems. So for that i recoment C#.C# can also be good for text game development to. But in game development the success is not in tool it's in programmer. :)

stojke, please list some popular commercial 3D games coded in C#.

C++ is most used programming language perfect for almost every occasion. It doesn't require no framework and it's operating system independent which means the code is transferable and reusable on different operating systems. If you want to make your own RPG, consider learning C++ first and then move on to graphical libraries such as DirectX, OpenGL. After you play with those for a while you can move on to 3D engines such as OGRE, Crystal Space...

So if you don't have problems adjusting and you learn new stuff with a speed of light I think it shouldn't take more than few years before you get the concept of programming 3D games. Until then, work hard and please try to ask for help on your problem specific community forums because you just might get pointed in the wrong direction. In this case, this would be GameDev.

Oh, by the way, if you have few extra hundred bucks you could also consider GameInstitute. Good luck on your RPG creating adventure!

I was trying to install my pro 100VM drivers in Ubuntu Studio8.04(Hardy heron). I was trying to follow the Readme supplied by intel on how to install but I got stuck where it said I have to compile the "make install" I have attached the read me so thst you can see the instructions and give me a dummies guide to installing this thing. Tell me what you wouldn't tell someone who is computer litterate because I think this readme assumes I have some Linux knowledge.README_linux_pro100.txtPliz help!

I was trying to install my pro 100VM drivers in Ubuntu Studio8.04(Hardy heron). I was trying to follow the Readme supplied by intel on how to install but I got stuck where it said I have to compile the "make install" I have attached the read me so thst you can see the instructions and give me a dummies guide to installing this thing. Tell me what you wouldn't tell someone who is computer litterate because I think this readme assumes I have some Linux knowledge.
README_linux_pro100.txt

Pliz help!

run a console program (I think ubuntu has gterm, I don't remember.)
cd over to the directory with the file called make which has your drivers (e.g. cd /directory/which/has/my/files)
type make install.
enjoy.

That being said, this is something which belongs in the operating systems sub-forum.