xisto Community
Mermaid711

How Do I Convert A Non Christian?

Well I have a pretty good friend who does not believe in God, Christ, or any of that. I'm really worried about his eternal salvation.I want to bring him to Christ, but there are a few problems.He is very egotistical. He will NOT change himself to anyone else's ways. Believe me, I've tried.He hasn't had the greatest past. His father left him and his mother when he was a little boy. His mother then for some reason became a lesbian. She doesn't really ever have anything to do with him, except for when she says horrible things to him. As a matter of fact, my mom has really had to be his mom for the past year or two. He's been pretty screwed over in life. I can't really explain everything.He's a really great person, a really sweet and funny and smart boy. I just want to be sure that he won't spend the rest of eternity in Hell. But I don't know where to start.So could you please give me a few ideas?And for the Atheists, I don't want any smart *bottom* remarks. I don't want to hear "Well, he's right and you're a delusional retard." If you can't say anything germain to the point, don't say anything at all.

It is good you are worried the best thing is you can pray for him to start with then as you get to know him better ask the Lord to open spaces in your conversation where you can witness to him. I understand your need to bring him to Christ, but God has to work in His own time. He did with you and he has done with everyone of us that knows Jesus. He has to learn and accept that he is a sinner, but Jesus loves him still. Jesus can break the hardest of hearts and I believe if you pray into his life God will move. Remember God said He can move mountains and He will. He is not a God to break promises. He has worked in my life when I was a witch and into spiritualism and know I have faith in Jesus. He has healed me from mental illness and from being in a wheelchair. He is working in my mum and dads life even if they do not acknowledge Him. For some it takes longer than others. Have patience and believe that God will bring him to Him. I believe it is not by chance I came across this post. Keep praying hun God will move.

You don't. (Or at least not actively.) If he thinks your trying to convert him, it'll annoy him and weaken your relationship with each other. Just imagine he kept pestering you to "ditch the whole God thing" and how you'd feel about that...

Trying to convert someone is like the worse thing you can do, in my opinion, I hate all those door to door converters and junk and so if you want to really be a friend let him walk his own path and support him the best way you can. You have no right to force people to conform to your religion and so I wouldn't press the issue with him, just be a friend and not one of those religious nuts.

In my opinion; you shouldn't directly try to convert. Live your religion well, at last if you are doing something successful and if he is not, perhaps he will be interested in why you are successful like this. And than maybe he can try to analyze your religion.

By the way, I think Islam is the right religion.

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

Ok well I have to agree with the others who said that you shouldn't force religion into him. Even God says that religion is not imposed. God is convincing enough to be believed in, and thus once your friend sees what serenity your beliefs bring to your life, then he might actually start searching for God instead of forcing the idea of God into his head. But if you're pretty much close to him, try telling him to read in the Bible and some other religious references... just tell him to read it as it won't harm him, there isn't anything to lose anyway! Well, I don't know that's all I can say, it's very hard to convince someone to believe unless he is ready to read and listen for a start... so good luck with him :D

Personally I don't have any experience with religion. However, instead of trying to convert, you can try to help him by teaching some neutral but benevolent teachings of Christianity. It doesn't have to seem like you're trying to convert him, but at least you are enlightening him with a new perspective. It is up to him to decide if he is going to walk that path.

I've found that we are incapable of changing someone's heart and no matter what we do or how hard we try, we can never soften someone's heart to see God; however, prayer moves the hand of God and if you ask Him to soften your friends heart and you live your life for Christ and be an example then your friend may see that it is at least looking into. I've seen God work in my own family, right now I am the only one who is saved in my family, but my mom and brother have begun to come to church, and it has absolutely nothing to do with me and I know it. Mark 9:23 says that if you have faith in God anything is possible. I can gaurentee that it won't come at the time you expect it, but it will happen in God's time which is the perfect time. I definitely wouldn't suggest pushing the bible on him, Jesus would meet the physical needs of people before meeting their spiritual needs as well, so you can't expect someone to feel God's love if you don't show it to them. I think the biggest part is to love them the way Christ does and your friend will see that there is someone who cares about him, and if he thanks you for always being there, let him know that it isn't you, but rather the one whom you serve that loves him when you love with Christ's love. I hope that made sense, I kind of jumbled a bunch of ideas in one. I'd be happy to clarify if you want.

Am I allowed to be sad when someone constantly says that those who do not believe in Christ will spend their eternity in hell? You could always try to say things like that, because it really scares me out... But at the same time I get annoyed of people that always tries to convince me that "God is the way to go." I am actually surprised about how many religious people there are here. Very few here I live care about such things.I have actually been to some "Christian clubs" (when all my other friends were somewhere else. :D ) and prayer seems to work... Sorry, but I have seen it with my own eyes. I have heard people talking about it. Somehow it is a really great atmosphere in the room when they are praying and singing.

It is completely unfair to call your friend egotistical for not following your beliefs. By the same logic, you are egotistical for not following his beliefs.On how to change his mind, you don't. It is not up to you to decide what he should believe. If there is a reason for him to change his beliefs chances are it will be a reason he finds for himself not just because you tell him he is wrong.

Well, you might want to start off by not trying to convert him. When Christians try to convert people, bad things happen. Just leave it, trust me. If anyone' 'eternal salvation' is in trouble, it's you. Telling someone what to believe is an evil thing. Just let him be.Sam.

haha i love it! i love how people think they need to convert people in to their own ways of thinking and belief.first off, this person is a good friend of yours and you are a christian. tells me that this person isn't robbing cheating or stealing and pretty much has good morals or values. also, this person isn't converted yet still consideres you a good friend as well? wow. you both don't seem so bad. does this person try to convert YOU???so my advice is to leave this person alone and just be a friend without any pressures of converting.now on to your question more directly. lead by example. that's all you can do. repsect your friends belief as this person should respect yours as well. we all have something to learn til the day we die. keep that in mind when you are trying to convert him knowing you don't know everything there is to learn in this lifetimeif you really don't want to take my opinion in leaving this person alone in the converting process, then make a game out of it. tell this person they you two will trade favors. you will do something this person wants, and this person will do something you want. make a game out of it or something. less stressfull. when it's your turn to ask him to do something, invite him to your church.i'm not a christian per se but was raised that way. i'm more spiritual and incorporate many religions and beliefs and faiths. after being in the world for a while, i noticed that a lot of people are very busy within their own selves to see the more deeper sides of life. one good indirect way to help your friend add to their own belief is meditation and relaxation. help your friend close out the rest of the world and their busy life to encorporate more self realization and deeper meaning. this is helpfull for the believers AND the non believers and the ones in the middle.most importably though i say is lead by example, be yourself and if your friend needs guidance, do it in a way that is less forcefull and less pressure. if he's leading a life that is of unmoral character at times with litte or no values, then try to guide this person without the word "god" in your speach. you will know you are speaking gods word, but does he really have to know it? personally, i believe that if one is living a life with good morals and values and not intentionally hurting others along the way, that is good enough for god and all the other higher powers out there. if you live your life the best way you know how, how can one be punished for that by a higher power? they aren't. there is no heaven or hell except that we create our own selvesif nothing else, just wish for your friends happiness. i hope your friend is happy. can't ask for much more from people, can you?

Just as you think that your Christian beliefs are "correct," so does your friend believe that his non-Christians ones are "correct." Your attmpts to convert your friend would be equal to any attmpts he made to convert you to non-Christian beliefs. Would you change your mind in this situation? Most likely neither will he.Everyone believes that their beliefs are the right ones, otherwise they would change them. It's pointless to try to change people's minds by telling them they're wrong. The most you can do is present your case objectively and logically, and let them choose what they want to believe for themselves. I believe the Christian thing to do in this situation would be to accept your friend's differences and forget about them, rather than using them as a basis for judgement.

trying to convert someone is not really useful. you must show him what it means to be one. Don't do any preaching and it will get worse.bringing him to a christian group can be useful.But it will always be the person's choice even if you forced him to.

Well, I basically agree with everything that everyone else has told you.

Well I have a pretty good friend who does not believe in God, Christ, or any of that. I'm really worried about his eternal salvation.

Let's start with your friendship here first. He is a pretty good friend of yours, so I assume that he is a nice person. 'cause that's the only way you would've been his friend to start with. Next, if you can comprehend his goodness, so will God. You don't want to change who he is, right? So it doesn't matter what tag he has on his name.

He is very egotistical. He will NOT change himself to anyone else's ways. Believe me, I've tried.

No one does and no one should. Changing yourself to anyone else's ways is just coming under impression or here, peer pressure. If he needs to believe, he needs to believe himself. It's unjust of you to call him egoistic just because he isn't in blind conformity, he needs to analyze and reach conclusions on his own. 'cause blind conformity is not what God would want. You'd probably get yourself a ticket to hell if you do this.

He hasn't had the greatest past. His father left him and his mother when he was a little boy. His mother then for some reason became a lesbian. She doesn't really ever have anything to do with him, except for when she says horrible things to him. As a matter of fact, my mom has really had to be his mom for the past year or two. He's been pretty screwed over in life. I can't really explain everything.

It's irrespective, really. People seek help in faith because of the same reasons that you're pointing out. How many people do you know take shelters in Churches due to family problems? It really doesn't have anything to do with his past.

He's a really great person, a really sweet and funny and smart boy. I just want to be sure that he won't spend the rest of eternity in Hell. But I don't know where to start.

He is a good person, that's the main point here. You don't need to worry about his eternity. :)

And for the Atheists, I don't want any smart *bottom* remarks. I don't want to hear "Well, he's right and you're a delusional retard."

I just hope my post counts and I get the credits. XD

Last, what you should do is be a good friend to him. Let him be the great person he already is. If he makes a wrong choice in life, correct him through examples and evaluation. Not by faith. God needs to love you 'cause you are a good person, not because you call yourself a Christian.