xisto Community
comingsoon27

Engineering / Business Major Combination

Hi, I will be starting my college career at the University of Wisconsin at Madison this fall and still am undecided about my future plans. I have always been a math person and know that I want to go into one of engineering and business. My question is if anybody knows anything about some sort of way I could possibly combine the two majors? I assume double majoring in two completely different fields is a little bit unreasonable to do in four years. If I am wrong though, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The University of Alberta has a program which combines an Engineering Degree with a Masters of Business Administration. Excellent combination for those which to 'run' a Construction company, in my opinion. Although quite demanding on the students, those who complete the program are highly sought after employees.

Hi. Let's first assume you want to spend roughly the same amount of time studying and finish in 4 years. In that case, you can probably have a major in one of the engineering disciplines and a minor in one of the business areas. You could also choose to major in business and have a minor in engineering if you wish. Those are your options to combine 2 fields. Under the above assumption, there is no way you can have a combination of 2 majors simply because a bachelor's degree requires roughly 4 years of study. You are not allowed to obtain 2 bachelor's degrees in 4 years with regular amount of study.Two majors, to me, mean two degrees. To get there, you either have to spend more time studying within the four years or stay longer in school. You have a few options. One of them is to pursue a bachelor's degree and then a masters' degree in business. A lot of students would prefer to obtain the bachelor's degree first, work in the real world for 2 or more years, and then pursue a master's degree in business. Another option is to obtain 2 bachelor's degrees in about 5 years, one in engineering and the other in business.

In Colombia we also have universities that let you make both careers at the same time, and when you graduate you obtain the two degrees which is great because you have two different areas to work on and your opportunities doubles as well. Normally careers here long for 5 years if you decide to take the double degree you have to study an extra year, but 6 years instead of 10 is a great deal to me, in terms of time and money. So if you have the opportunity to make the double degree no matter which career path you take is going to be helpful in the long run, I believe everything you learn in your life is going to be useful at some point, to study something is an investment so you will get your effort back for sure.