xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keegan99k9

Help On What The Best Course Of Action Is

I'm a college student and back home making money right now. I've got an AMEX Blue with 2000 on it (8000 limit) and Chase Freedom with 1200 on it (7500 limit). Both are out of their introductory 0% for a year time limits and I'm now paying interest. I've got an old Citi MTVu Card with no balance and 5000 dollar limit.I'm thinking of looking for another card that I can transfer these two balances to and hopefully phase out the Chase Freedom. I will keep my MTVu, because I've had it open for 3 years and I love Amex's customer service, so that leaves the Chase either in the sock drawer or closed (any opinions?). My credit score from equifax (freecreditreport.com) tonight was 747. I figure that's good for a college student with not a lot of history. Any thoughts, suggestions. I'm charging about 1000 a month on each and paying 1200-1300 (2000 spent - 2400-2600 paid).

747 is a pretty good credit score - so obviously carrying 3 credit cards has helped you establish a decent credit history. Even though it could be higher, you have a good chance of getting approved for most standard credit card offers. The fact that you've already been approved for 2 non-student credit cards is a good sign that most issuers would approve you for an additional card. At this point, it's probably not necessary to cancel any of your existing credit cards since you only have three. Unless you're uncomfortable with having 4 credit cards, I would leave the other ones open and find a new 0% APR offer. If you still want to cancel one, choose the highest interest rate offer (probably the Chase Freedom).

Ya know, It's possible that you could just wait for the offers for credit cards to come rolling in the mail, many people seem to be offered a new credit card at least once a week. It's possible that you might also get better rates, or have an incentive to join that credit company..