xisto Community
kelvinc2

Creating A Good Website, How?!

Creating a good website, How?!I looked at many forums, searching on now to create a good website, by good I meant good website interface. For example, Xisto have this amazing flash header, and nice design?I searched and searched, I found that many people started with a photoshop picture, then they make it come true by requesting a website coder (A.K.A. Programmer) to code the whole website for it.If, I said if, I were good a art, I can design a good nice picture off photoshop, and I know how to code, does that means I can make a good website?Please post any comments, agree, or disagree =)

why do u think design is the most important component of good website?At first u have to have a good idea, what should the website be about , if u just can create nice look u will never be succesful, I think, to do something in photoshop and program can any looza u can pay, but to have an original idea is the base of succes

Creating a good website, How?!
I looked at many forums, searching on now to create a good website, by good I meant good website interface. For example, Xisto have this amazing flash header, and nice design

I searched and searched, I found that many people started with a photoshop picture, then they make it come true by requesting a website coder (A.K.A. Programmer) to code the whole website for it.

If, I said if, I were good a art, I can design a good nice picture off photoshop, and I know how to code, does that means I can make a good website?

Please post any comments, agree, or disagree =)

For a good website, you need it to have a purpose. That said, it must have something people want, or need. Honestly, I'm probably going to change alot of my website sometime soon because it really doesn't offer anybody anything...

After you have a website that people are actually going to want to visit, then you need to think about the features you are going to have on it. This includes what pages, content, etc. that you are going to have.

Once you figure that out, you create a layout/template etc.
Then you code it.
Then you create all your content, etc.

Well here is a tip:You should think when it comes to webdesign, all people who are gonna visit your website are dumb (ofcourse this isn't true).So you should make it easy to navigate true the website, make understandable links, not to much links.Also don't make it to graphical, people need to see the content.Your design is for making the content to pop out so it is easy to read etc.Also NO POP UP'S people hate them and also not to much add's.

"Don't Make Me Think!" by Steve Krug is an excellent book about creating well-designed user interfaces. It doesn't cover pretty design so much as functionality, but you really should be considering the latter before you make it fancy. Once you know how you want things laid out, organized, etc., it becomes easier to focus on the design. Plus, the book is heavy on illustrations, so you can get some inspiration looking at how other pages are set up.When I first started learning web design, I studied other pages and noted what things looked good (simplicity, cleanness, etc.) and what things didn't. Then I made a bunch of design templates in photoshop and set them to code. I am not an artist, and I don't have any formal training in photoshop or digital art. But there are several tricks you can learn which allow even someone like me to create a decent looking site that clearly wasn't built from someone else's template.

Creating a website that actually looks Impressive, like the hompages you see on very popular websites, requires a lot o skill, practice, and lots of good graphics. Allthough a good way to start making an impressive looking page, is to use CSS to control the postioning of <div> tags in the source code. And then use graphics as headers, footers, and navigation, make sure you use a good colour sceme. And mae sure it doesnt look messy (elements all over the page, with no regard for what they are or where they would look good ect.)

first of all you need to know: HTML (at least basic level) and also CSS.after that you have to know photoshop, guess more than basic level ;) or at least the tips for creating what you need.you also need to find a HOST !!! that's the part where you need to put all you stuff... you could use localhost but I don't really think you would keep your computer pluged in for so long...for a good website I like web 2.0 ..everything that goes with it...a simple fresh clean website where the content is easily read by any guest.. this is the secret for an Impressive website...the style..but not only if you don't have something to offer there's nothing that will keep a guest on your site or for a later come back.The PHP, AJAX, Javascript,Flash an so on for dynamic stuff is alway a plus ...and never add more than is needed or less ;).

Edited by Sica-GURU (see edit history)

Well afcourse you need to learn html first, and css too if you want to keep ur site nice ;)I also suggest you to learn photoshop, browse tutorial sites liketutorialized.com, good-tutorials.com, pixel2life.com, there are lots of online. After that learn howto slice your layout,and howto css it. That should be fine to make a nice contentfull webpage.And maybe if you got good at it, you could start PHP and Mysql, maybe ajax, that will keep ur site dynamic ;)and for those you also have allot of tutorials online.have fun, and good luck!

Creating a good website, How?!

I looked at many forums, searching on now to create a good website, by good I meant good website interface. For example, Xisto have this amazing flash header, and nice design…

I searched and searched, I found that many people started with a photoshop picture, then they make it come true by requesting a website coder (A.K.A. Programmer) to code the whole website for it.

If, I said if, I were good a art, I can design a good nice picture off photoshop, and I know how to code, does that means I can make a good website?

Please post any comments, agree, or disagree =)

You would be able to make a good looking website, but a website is much more than how it looks. Take Google for example - not flashy or full of graphics in any way; it is the service that is provided that is important. As long as the design and interface for your website are usable and not too painful for your eyes, it is the functionality and content that will draw people into your site.

So, just with design, could you make a good looking website? Yes. A good website? Probably not. A successful one? Nope.

A good website can be anything you enjoy or it can offer a needed public service. the cool thing is that you can earn money either way if you know the way to go (google adsense seems to be pretty good) really all you have to do is make you site appealing to the audience you want to reach.... take advantage of todays technology, there's HTML, XML, XHTML, Javascript, CSS, DHTML, PHP, SSI, CGI, Pearl, Ajax, gAjax, C++, and ALOT of other programming languages that can be used on the modern web.... also there's millions of sites that offer help or even courses for free to learn any or all of these programming languages. Its funny, alot of the time, if you want something online, if you search enough, you'll find that all you have to do is ask! and its possible to get alot for free! Google is a company who offers alot of webdesign help for free, as well as many helpful services and tools to help you succeed. along with these free tools comes free ware you can find on sites such as sourceforge.net, and others, who offer freeware such as FTP programs, HTML and XML validators and editors, and other useful programs like that personally the best text editor that can be used to write or edit almost all of the programming languages involved is Notepad++, which is also free ware and is AWESOME. really all you have to do to be successful in webdesign is to expiriment and learn!

i've got to say, all this about learning different languages such as PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML etc isn't any use unless you're making something really professional or you just want to show off - you can make a nice looking and simple to use website using just photoshop, macromedia fireworks and dreamweaver without knowing any code at all. If you want to know more about this method, or see some examples of that sort of work, PM me and ill explain it a bit further.And on a general note, although you want it usable and user-friendly etc.. dont ignore the design side (and of course dont ignore the usability) - i would say that the usability factor has a slightly higher value over the design but only slightly, because even if its easy to use, noone is going to stay on a site that doesnt look decent and is made up of 3 block colours. Its all about getting the right balance...Good luck!

i've got to say, all this about learning different languages such as PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML etc isn't any use unless you're making something really professional or you just want to show off

PHP, MySQL, CSS and HTML all do different things, and are used my a large percentage of sites. Even for a non-professional site you need HTML and CSS, and basic PHP and MySQL knowledge is always useful.

- you can make a nice looking and simple to use website using just photoshop, macromedia fireworks and dreamweaver without knowing any code at all. If you want to know more about this method, or see some examples of that sort of work, PM me and ill explain it a bit further.

At a cost of many hundreds or even thousands of pounds, I would consider the Adobe products very much for professionals only.

well if your awesome at photoshop and can design something thats attractive for the header/graphics and have some matching/colors that match for the contest/text etc. and its neat and organized, and high quality (: then yes your site would look amazing, and that makes people stay in it longer, browsing through your content...unless you have no content haha, a good site is a conbination of both presentation and content if you ask me.. (: they both make people come back for more/tell their friends about your site

I guess to make it look good you need to use templates. They are readily available for free and save all that time trying to make a good looking website. You can just use Kompozer to edit the template with your stuff, and upload it, and bam you have a cool website! Well i'm exaggerating, its not That easy, but you know what I mean. ;)