xisto Community
Janissary

Building A Forum Under Another Web Site?

Hello,

Im going to set up a simple website to use with my buddies.

A main page where I can update from time to time and a forum are all I need.

I know WYSIWYG builders, ftp uploaders and forum moderating.

Im thinking of using phpBB since it's free and seems simple and reliable, right?

My question is can I build the forum on my local computer then upload to hosting service? The readme.txt recomends to install online in host machine.

And this is what I need to do, right?

-build an index.html with WYSIWYG, upload it to main folder of host.

-create a folder in the host and upload forum files under that.

-give a link on main page to index.html file that's in the forum folder.

And Im going to apply for Xisto hosting service. I know Xisto control panel has may usefull tools. Should I use something from there, rather than phpBB, WebPageMarker and CoreFTP softwares.

Oh, oh... By the way, can I upload regular files to Xisto and let people download it?

Im off to phpBB's official site to learn more...

I would suggest that you check out the Tutorial section and look for a Tutorial written by me showing how to combine an AEF Forum with a web-site.AEF Forums are also free, easy to install and has many popular features including a shoutbox by default.

And this is what I need to do, right?-build an index.html with WYSIWYG, upload it to main folder of host.
-create a folder in the host and upload forum files under that.
-give a link on main page to index.html file that's in the forum folder.

Well, you also need to know how to install the forum script after uploading it to be able to use it. You might want to run a local server for testing purposes.

Should I use something from there, rather than phpBB, WebPageMarker and CoreFTP softwares.

WYSIWYG and FTP software is up to you. But for stuff found in Fantastico! you may be better off getting the scripts from their relative websites if there's a newer version out there of the script than the one in Fantastico! But check the developer logs for these scripts to see if the newer version, if any, offers any security fixes.

Oh, oh... By the way, can I upload regular files to Xisto and let people download it?

Terms of Service (TOS) and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) should answer your question.

Web sites deemed offensive or racially degrading, by Xisto.com, will be removed from our servers without notice. Web sites promoting, making available or otherwise contributing to software piracy, hacking, spamming, storage of large files or using account for file storage, storing MP3's of other large files in any electronic format, denial of service attacks and/or damage to commercial networks or servers will be removed from our servers without notice and illegal acts will be reported and prosecuted. Abusive behavior of any type will not be tolerated.

Okey, how about technically? Uploading the file to root and giving http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is enough?

Uploading the file to root and giving http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ is enough?

By "enough?" do you mean "enough to get my site deleted?"? If so, then it would depend on what the contents of the .doc file is, i suppose.

You are free to upload large files and any legal stuff only till package 2. You cannot store large Files or provide large downloads in package 3 or 4. Large files consume a large part of our shared resources. We want to serve as many people as we can and we expect the members to utilize the shared resources peacefully.

Okey, how about technically? I guess that's how it's done. No need to give permission or anything. Edited by Janissary (see edit history)

Well setting up PHPBB forum is really easy and you will probably want have nay problems with it if you have some however people wioll be very helpful around these forums. Also the point is that you should checkout tutorial section for further encouragement.And one other important thing is that you should think about setting up subdomain from your main page this is somewhat useful thing to do when you are working with forums. I usually split such important section of the site in several different forums.Best Regards

Wow, the new Xisto Cpanel is great. Full user friendly. (Yup, Im hosted now)

/home/abc/public_ftp/ - This is the directory used for anonymous FTP access. Any files in this directory can be downloaded by anyone if anonymous FTP access is enabled.

Thx for the tip, HitmanBlood.

edit:
Ops, I made a mistake. Instalion guide automaticly created a folder. Now mysubdomain is just a file tree :) But it's no biggy, my main page directs them to right adress.
Edited by Janissary (see edit history)

AEF ForumsBuilding A Forum Under Another Web Site?

Hi  jlhaslip.Thanks for suggest me to enter into AEF Forums.This site is really interesting and has some additional features.I gonna suggest this site to my friends as well.