xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zazen

Buliding A Basic Community Site Building Community With Joomla

HiI am currently running a Joomla CMS webpage, and Google Adsense on my page has generated a reasonable sum. I have used Joomla to build this webpage at the grounding and now with all the extension, it has become a money making webpage. I encourage all to try out this great CMS system. Here are some extentions I would reccomend. CB Bulider. Expose 4, Jambook, Ako Comment.Cheers.

I generally hate CMS, mainly because it limits what you can do and to me theres nothing more user friendly than notepad or dreamweaver! There "user friendly menus" are not explainedand I can't be asked to go through each one, it's the same with forum software, unfortunately I cannot create a forum or CMS for myself but I can just make more web pages the old fashioned way!

Well I believe that using a CMS is the easiest way to build a website. It makes your work very simple, you just need to fill out some forms and you're done. It's true that it limits what you can do with your website and stuff like that but it's still efficient, and when you use a CMS like Joomla with great features and lots of options and extensions to expand your CMS's potential then you can hardly feel that you are being limited. Concerning the forums, well there are some great forum software out on the net. phpBB is probably the best free forum software especially with the mods and add-ons you can use. vBulletin and IPB are also great, they cost alot but they're worth every penny you may pay.

Comment to Kobra500Buliding A Basic Community Site

You say that Notepad and Dreamweaver are user friendly, but you apparently know the ins and outs of web development on a technical level.  The fact is that Joomla, or most any CMS is going to allow for:

• Better Consistency between pages

• Faster Development

• Ease of additional pages

• Easy site change implementations

And they do all that for those with little HTML/PHP knowledge. Some may even need to hire a person to build their site for them, and even show them around in it a little.  But the same can be said of hiring a book keeper to set you up on Quickbooks, and then showing you how to enter your invoices and make payments.  It's a business system.  CMS can also be useful for a hobby site, or personal blog too.  The main reason people use their own is to embed their own adsense and other affiliate links into their site instead of making the big blogger companies money.

On top of all that, you can still use Notepad (though I recommend Notepad++ instead) to code special scripts on individual pages (or articles in the CMS), and paste that code into the HTML editor of the CMS which ultimately creates even more flexibility in a CMS. You can even build your own javascript modules to do whatever you want to do in a module.  All simple to add on to any pages, or sections, or menu links you want to add them to.  Plugins allow for articles to be populated with advertising from your affiliate programs in a couple of clicks.

Using a CMS means you are creating a dynamic and consistent site from the first step of installing it.  If you don't understand how to use it, read the manual, or search on pointed questions right in Google to get the solution you need.

I also used to use a WYSIWYG editor (like Dreamweaver) and text editors to create my sites, but content management systems lend themselves to larger, more professional design, layout, and growth capacity than ANY "hand-coded"site.  Unless, of course, you wrote your own CMS...

-reply by BE Enterprises

Is there any screencast available for joomla based site building ? I am looking for those. As i can't explain it to my friend on instant messenger. So watching video will definitely help her. Anyone have any idea about good videos related to joomla site and community building ?

Just to let you know, Your Community site you are trying to build may not be very popular as most of the illegal sites otherwise known as Warez Sites have the most members & they have a community section. Well Good luck though.

And how long warez site stays alive ? And warez sites receive advertisements from ad-networks or get kicked once they found out ? Also are warez sites good enough for long term web development plan ? What's your experience ? ever tried building warez site or that was your observation. ?