xisto Community
ivantoar

Windows Update Is it really needed for me?

I am now running on Windows XP. I'm confused whether to use and install Windows Updates or not. My friends and some local IT support said that I do not need them. But many tech site suggests them to be installed.Here is my situation :I only use this PC to browse internet, download files, using P2P software, play games and other activity that doesn't require internet. I never use wireless internet, my PC is not linked to another PC (workgroup). Do I really need Windows Update at all? Untill now, I never experienced any crash or something without those updates.Please, I need your comments, thank you.

Heck the P2P software alone makes you want to install those updates, personally I don't see what the big deal is about these updates for home users. At the business level I could understand with software compatibility and what not, but if your a home user then just install the stupid things and get it over with. The whole Genuine Advantage being spyware is a poor excuse to not install these updates, heck you should have nothing to worry about if your windows is a legit copy. Of course in the world of illegal software, movie, music downloading people are afraid Microsoft is going to report them and stuff, especially when they are hacking and junk. If you don't like the way Micrsoft provides patching your computer Apple and linux have operating systems, use one of them.

Well if the computer isn't connected to the internet or networked in any way AT ALL, you probably don't. However, most people who use automatic updates are connected, are they not?Personally I'd avoid the WGA stuff. It's no where near accurate, there's plenty of people who've been wrongly accused as using pirated software when they are 100% legal (Sound like anyone else you know? Maybe the RIAA? :D). There's no need for Microsoft to run 20 checks to see if my serial isn't pirated, this is exactly what activation is for in the first place!

Manually install them just make sure you don't install "Windows Genuine somin, somin..." Thats the big problem that one update, it all comes down to legal windows feel free, illegal windows don't touch the stuff!

Manually install them just make sure you don't install "Windows Genuine somin, somin..." Thats the big problem that one update, it all comes down to legal windows feel free, illegal windows don't touch the stuff!

As I said, WGA is bad for everyone.
There's been people who's got thier pc assembled, installed a legal Vista, tried to activate. Next thing they know, they have a black screen, with an IE page open so that people can 'buy' Vista again.

And then, WGA has a poor detection rate of pirated copies anyway.

Oh, so after reading these opinions from you guys, I don't think I need those updates. I got a good free antivirus and firewall anyway.Yes, WGA sucks just like Bill Gates does. Once, they claim my cousin's WXP as pirated, then my cousin takes that underground way, cracking WGA. He says "WTF, I own original XP and I need to crack it???"Um, some of my friend, experienced many programs don't run after updating WXP, do any of you guys ever experienced that kind of problem?

I thought the computer in question wasn't networked? You shouldn't need a firewall, might not even need an anti-virus in this case. However - it'd still be possible to be infected (USB sticks for instance).

Not only USB sticks, some safe website still have possibility to have viruses on it (hacked). But as far I'm using free AV and firewall, I never got anything like that. It's still better to use free one better than nothing or pirated software.