xisto Community
jjaenagle

What Is The Best Free Html Editor?

im looking for any kind that is free really.... i use windows but if you have one for a different platfor, go ahead and add it for reference for other users.If you have one for normal text editor and wysiwyg, add them both.i have been using notepad as my normal html editor but im looking for something different... at least so i can see the different colors of the codes.Right now i am downloading moxilla's seamonkey suite but im not sure how good it is... i will post a review if i ever use one.If you have used the html editor you suggest or you just heard about it, please say so cause that does make a huge difference in making a decision.I have used dreamweaver and thought that was amazing, but i dont want to spend hundreds of dollars for that if i can find something else that can do the samething.

i have been using notepad as my normal html editor but im looking for something different... at least so i can see the different colors of the codes.

Notepad++.

I don't know if it is the best free html editor, but Notepad++ is a free editor which can syntax highlight C, C++, Java, C#, XML, HTML, PHP, Javascript, RC resource file, makefile, ASCII art file (extension .nfo), doxygen, ini file, batch file, ASP, VB/VBS source files, SQL, Objective-C, CSS, Pascal, Perl, Python, Lua, TCL, Assembler, Ruby, Lisp, Scheme, Properties, Diff, Smalltalk, Postscript and VHDL.

Notepad++ is an open source program.

You can download from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Check the last version. The last version now is npp.5.0.beta.Installer.exe.

Edited by Erdemir (see edit history)

You can get dreamweaver for free :Dfrom me though

I can message you download link, ask whenever you want :( through pM

Dreamweaver is not a freeware software. jjaenagle is asking for a freeware html editor.

the best free HTML editor i ever used was microsoft visual studios express edition it's great, fast, and has some great features like FTP auto conplete and more. it does HTML, CSS, javasript, and ASP, i dont remember the others. when i had it it worked great posibly the best. but its a pretty big download with the .NET framework.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-express/

also another good one, that i'm using right now, is eclipse with the Web Tool Platform plug-in it works good you can also get the PHP development tool its good too. this one does about everything visual studeos does, but it's pretty slow (maybe because it runs on java) and you have to be really patiant with it. if you're not patient with it will get on your bad side.

http://www.eclipse.org/

Crescent Eve is a very light editor for html and css. you can use google to find out. but it in japanese! and the best one I think is eclipse, a powerful editor, can be use for html, java,php... but to use it you should have a best computer.

I use GlobeScapes Cute HTML. It was free when I downloaded it. I cannot seem to find a free download any longer, but I could zip you a copy of mine. I find it very easy to use. PM me if you want it. Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Well in my opinion, notepad is just as good as any other HTML specific programme. The limitations are in the browser.But you could try Textpad - you are encouraged to register, but you can use it for free, just search it, and you will find the website for it.It will colour your code depending on what function it has ect. It also has a list of lots of symbols - the code to enter them (like © is the copyright sign) It works for many languages, like C++ as well. And has tabs so you can have multiple files open at once.

EditPlus is a really good free text editor; it colors the code as you write it so you can easily see if you've made a mistake. Same with my favorite text editor, Vim. It's a UNIX program but I think it's available for Windows and Mac also. It has a steep learning curve but once you get used to it, it's quite powerful and fast.

I made one HTML (WYSIWYG) What-you-see-is-what-you-get creator almost a year ago (initially it's only for my friends).I attach it here so you can download the freebie.freepack1.zipNo malware, no spyware, and definitely no trojans.It may only try to get one or 2 pages from my now non-existent blog where I keep all my bookmarks!P.S. NVU.com is better in my opinions - they've linked their software to stylish templates.

I remember Eclipse being a free html editor. Its really good apparently. very basic and your able to see your code colors. at least thats what i heard. However I'd just continue using notepad anyways.

For your needs ..I think the best option is "Alleycode"

this gives different colors to different codes accordingly and thats what u wanted....

Secondly u can insert any tag and its different styles and attributes just by

choosing "insert option " available...u don't need to write the whole code itself.

secondly it has some tutorials also in its help file...

u can see a preview of ur page any time the editor itself...

I have been using it for a month and found it quite useful.....and its absolutely free..

hope u will find it...useful

U can get it from....https://alleycode.com/

I would most certainly recommend Nvu for beginners. However, Nvu's got a "but": its code editor is horrible. The syntax coloring doesn't update as it should... Nevertheless, the WYSIWYG mode is pretty neat and is also standards compliant, which is a big plus.

If you want to code things by hand (which you should, especially if you want to make php scripts and stuff like that) I'd recommend something like Notepad++. For the ones who don't mind to learn a new editing concept, I'd recommend VIM (Vi Improved). You can get it from http://www.vim.org/
VIM is an opensource editor for almost every filetype you may think of (plain text, of course). It highlights dozens of programming/markup/config languages and is very powerful (and scriptable). If you happen to have the time, do learn to use it. It will prove useful in the near future :)

Also, as I don't plan to start a flame war, there's also Emacs, a text-editor as powerful as VIM (just not my personal choice :))

If your just learning? I would get the coffeecup editor http://www.coffeecup.com/ kinda cheezy and is a trail but its free, isnt a big file such as dreamwever. and works just as good.

Good Luck