xisto Community

Ok I don't know C++ but I know it's very hard, harder than learning a speaking language, and you shouldn't start off with that.

I say you start of with maybe java or VB or something like that

there are many sites you can learn, and books to help you too. I recommend getting a book if you are serious about learning a computer language because when your not by the computer and not doing anything, you should read the book, it's still practice even if you are not on it.

But if you are wanting to learn C++, which is better than C, because it gets used a lot, I say you start here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
This is learn C++ in 21 days, and it helps a lot!! You should do it

Also you can just google for learn java sites, and start with the basics. But computer language really I think you should take a class for it, but I think you can do it yourself if your good

Anyways good luck I hope I helped. C YA

Ok I don't know C++ but I know it's very hard, harder than learning a speaking language, and you shouldn't start off with that.
I say you start of with maybe java or VB or something like that

there are many sites you can learn, and books to help you too. I recommend getting a book if you are serious about learning a computer language because when your not by the computer and not doing anything, you should read the book, it's still practice even if you are not on it.

But if you are wanting to learn C++, which is better than C, because it gets used a lot, I say you start here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
This is learn C++ in 21 days, and it helps a lot!! You should do it

Also you can just google for learn java sites, and start with the basics. But computer language really I think you should take a class for it, but I think you can do it yourself if your good

Anyways good luck I hope I helped. C YA

Actually, I found C++ extremely easy to learn, I taught myself C++ in the 7th grade and was making games with OpenGL by the end of 8th grade, I never had anyone teach me, so I would assume that would show that C++ is very easy to learn.

As for resources I learned from a book called "Problem Solving Using C++" by Yuksel Uckan, it has some very long explanations, but it's very thorough, so I would suggest that one, but it's also very old (copywright '95). As for java, I wouldn't know, I never really got into java, but I wish you luck on your endevour!

Ugh.. people, this topic's been rediscussed a thousand times. If you look in the past pages of this subforum, you'll find a million sites suggested.

That being said, http://www.cprogramming.com/ is a very good site. :D

And C++ is NOT better than C. I'd like to see anyone justify that.

Yes, there are several sites for learning C, C++ and several discussions on how to learn them. I have some simple suggestions:

Buy a book instead of following an online site. You may download a relevant pdf file. For C, The C Programming Language is the best book. For C++ the book by Bjarne Stroustrup is the best, though not Very good for beginners.

Follow a particular book long enough and your efforts will pay off- don't keep switching books.

You may join usenet groups like comp.lang.c.moberated and comp.lang.c++.moderated for interacting with good programmers.

You may use sites like http://programmersheaven.com/ for getting sample codes when you are a little experienced.

Most importantly- take pains to learn, make it a point to start off with good programming practice, never think you may do that in future.

C++ is Object Oriented. C is procedural. They cannot replace each other. They have their specific areas of application. Learn whichever best suits you. You should read some good article on net or the introductory pages of any C/C++ book to get a better understanding on this issue.

Edited by jyoti (see edit history)