xisto Community
mm22

A Good File Explorer For Windows Xp? whats a better alternative to explorer

Hi,although it has some useful features and it's (i'd hope so...) well integrated with the shell, the file explorer that comes with windows xp is not the best we can ask for... so I've always tried to use various other pieces of softwares randomly found on the net whenever I've had to intensively work on my file directory...still I haven't found a very good one, all those I tried have some kind of bug or they are not really user friendly in some occasions... would anyone suggest a good FREEWARE file explorer?thanks :Dps I just recalled how much i liked the File Manager on Windows 3.11!! maybe this is just a nostalgic thought and if I looked at it right now it'd look pretty poor but still i remember running it for a while when i switched to Win 98, wonder if it runs on XP....

Although it's far from finnished, Cario Shell looks interesting. As for what you've asked, I have seen occasional ones. Usually they are so over bloated with crap and addons it's not good for day-to-day stuff.

I did come across this one Ultra Explorer. (Note: Page is part of a frame from http://mustangpeak.net/) and it doesn't seem that bad. If you try it, tell me how it goes!

edit:Fixed Link

Edited by Live-Dimension (see edit history)

I've always wanted an Explorer with tabs. Can anyone point me to the one with tabs from the one which u have used. I need the one that will intergrate into the shell and become the default explorer on my rig. I want something that installs like Teracopy. I also need the cab files so that I can slipstreamit into my XP installation CD. Pliz help on this one.

(Note: Page is part of a frame from http://mustangpeak.net/) and it doesn't seem that bad. If you try it, tell me how it goes!

Why is it that 2 in every 10 links in the posts dont work?

Thanks Live-Dimension for your advice.... that Cairo project seems interesting, something to keep an eye on!as for the other one you mentioned I had a go and it's not bad, only minor graphical bugs but overall it's quite efficient and easy to use... it has double view pane so you can easily drag&drop files from one folder to another within the same window and also tabs... I wouldn't know about the cab files though :D

Here are some good shell replacement softwares for Windows XP they also come with custom file browsers.

very comprehensive listing.... must bookmark it! :D

Been using powerdesk for years. I have TC (I like the command bar on powerdesk which I can't figure out if TC does, that is you can add programs to run on a toolbar), but I don't like it as well. Upgraded to xp and the version of PD I have wasn't behaving out, so I took a look at the programs on the list above, and dl accelman it is is quite nice. Haven't figured out if you can add the commands like poerdesk, but it does do tabs, which is one of the things I like about TC. And it is free! Works great with no problem.Goat-reply by Goat

Some good file explorers are : Director Opus, XYplorer, Freecommander and From this XYplorer is available as PRO and Free edition. You can do fine work with the free edition. if you want to go for more power features then you can choose PRO edition. Freecommander, is also good file manager replacement. But the interface is bit sqwaky and dated. you can try it as well and tell us what you think is better between xyplorer and freecommander.Other alternatives are Cubic explorer and Universal explorer, AB commander.And if you can spend some money say 59$ then you can opt-in for the directory opus.

Alternative to Windows File ExplorerA Good File Explorer For Windows Xp?

Hi,

You can try the FileQuest 7 File Explorer.  FileQuest 7 does everything that windows explorer does, only better.  We also have many features that the windows file explorer lacks, like document preview and an excellent print preview and print feature.

With our free 50 day trial, you can try it before you buy, and if you do decide to buy we are very reasonable priced.

You can read more about FileQuest 7 here http://www.piquest.com/

Mike

-reply by Michael Williams