xisto Community
amirborna

I'm In A Difficult Situation Here Buying a car and gas prices

I'm turning 17 in 2 months, and I have to get a car soon.Bad thing is , is gas prices. It will keep getting xpensive and more expensive.As a teen in highschool, I can earn about 8 dollars an hour working a job! But bad thing is the gas prices. I cannot afford all that, and I am totally dependant on my self except staying at my moms house. Food, clothes, school, gas, and car payment is all up to me.So I have a question...If I buy a car now, it will keep getting more more expensive...If I don't have a car, my life would be a total failure and I can't do anything...In 2010, hydrogen, wind, and all those cars will be coming out but that sucks because I don't want to spend 10-20 grand on a car and have to buy another one soon in the future.I was thinking buying a cheap car, 5k6k,7k,8k around there, and then around 2010ish I will buy one of those new carsWhat do you guys think? This is a terrible time to be a teen driver lol! but I guess it sucks worse for the people who start driving when gas prices will be 8$ LOLBTW I feel for you europe people with 6 dollar gas! WTF!!

I turned 17 a while ago, and have passed my driving test :D Over the summer I was hoping to get a job to earn some money for University, but the costs at the moment mean that what I would be earning would just cover the cost of the car, fuel and insurance to get to work - making the whole thing pointless!

The best that I can recommend is to get a small, cheap car that is as economical as possible. Who cares if it doesn't look cool or anything? If it is more economical on fuel and cheaper to repair then you will have more money to spend/save.

BTW I feel for you europe people with 6 dollar gas! WTF!!

9.51 USD per gallon actually over here in the UK:P

Hahaha 9 dollars rediculous.I swear if literally it was 9 dollars I would bike to work no lieI would just get up and hour early and start peddlingDang oil exutives! Can't wait till obama gets president and then he makes US better

Oh gad im feeling you! i turn 17 in two months too! and my parents are begging me to drive, saying that they will buy me a car, but okay first of all i find it to be a waste of money, with the gas prices being so high, i mean, im not paying for the gas, gimme money for gas, and ill take the bus to the nearest mall! ahhaa and secondly im scared to drive, what if i bump into a pole or kill an old lady while driving or something.. haha(:you should just get a car because your a guy in school.. gotta be PIMPING you know.. get some females.. if you know what i mean haha! just dont use it as much, unless you want to work for gas.

Yeah I already drive what happened was my parents signed me up for drivers edWhat happened in drivers ed is we spent 1 month going over bookwork and laws, it was terribleThen next month time to drive! I was so scared it was rediculousme and a partner got in car with teacher and teacher drove us to a parking lot. he said it was my turn to drive. So I started driving and he tought me how to turn and next second he said go over there and get on the street. I was like O-M-F-G what???He said ya you must go on street so I went and I got hang of it. I was reaaaalllyy stiff because I thought I was going to crash but then you get used to itI have my driver licence already and I drive in my moms car but shice It sucks to be getting a car right now but the next year kids and next year after that sucks even worse so I'm not going to complainMy bday is august21 and u?

First thing I bet anyone did when they were told to put their foot on the accelerator was rev it up, right? :D Secondly, go for a second hand but cheap to run car. You don't need your car tomorrow, so spend your time looking. Driving gets more natural as you go along. And you tend to get careless because of it, trust me as I'm 18 on August 6th. Just practice on not-so-busy roads until you get the hang of it,a nd feel more confident.

Oh yeah I already drive my mom's car everywhere that's not problem, the problem is that what am I suppose to do that gas will be like 10-20 dollars in upcoming years and I just wait to buy hydrogen and air ect car??

A lot of people that complain about gas prices are those that "floor it."

You can always trade in the car you purchased for a newer one.

You don't need a car to succeed in life. Also, many people take public transportation to work.

You say you're turning 17 soon and that you're planning on buying a car. I don't think you currently need to be worrying about gas prices or getting a car for that matter.

9.51 USD per gallon actually over here in the UK:P

Eh, it only looks big if you convert the money. :D

Eh, it only looks big if you convert the money. :D

$9.51 USD per US gallon becomes about ?5.70 per imperial gallon, which is still a lot. Even in the US it's still $4.25/gallon.

It's a good thing I don't need to worry about this yet... I'm 14 and can't get a driving license (licence in British?) for another four years! (In Ontario, the legal limit for a G license is 18, and 16 for a G1 license, the first license you can get.)

DIT: Elsewhere in Canada, it's still 16, I think... I got that wrong.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

Oh yeah I already drive my mom's car everywhere that's not problem, the problem is that what am I suppose to do that gas will be like 10-20 dollars in upcoming years and I just wait to buy hydrogen and air ect car??

When they do it will be somewhat expensive at first. Always is. So just go for something with high mpg, and when you can switch, well, you'll love it even more for not taking expensive fuel :D

$9.51 USD per US gallon becomes about ?5.70 per imperial gallon, which is still a lot. Even in the US it's still $4.25/gallon.

See? Not so big anymore. :D Anyway, what's this with the use of the word "imperial"? Does it denote size or quality?

Imperial is a measurement system, so size. The main other alternative is Metric

Imperial - The US measurement system (foot, inches, etc). This used to be more popular then the metric system, mostly because it came out long before metric. Mainly, it's difficult to convert from one to another, as it's not "exact". For example, there are 12 inches in 1 foot. Minus having to reteach everyone, I do *not* see the point of the US keeping this system.

Metric - Practically what everyone else uses (cm, metres, kilo, etc). A lot more accurate and easier. 100cm in 1 metre.

Edited by Live-Dimension (see edit history)

Ah, but a US gallon isn't equal to an imperial gallon:

1 US gallon = 0.83267384 Imperial gallons

Then of course there are two US gallons (liquid and dry) and even then, there are sometimes different definitions of a gallon for different substances.

Gas is super expensive... haha mines on september 18 ;P might not be two months or whatever i said, im a slow one who cant add! but yea... i think i might be on a better train than you... my parents are buying me an "09 car when i learn how to drive [which will be.. HAHA never, yea right giselle driving] haha..and all of the sudden the "war for oil" makes sence and i completely support it haha....ill ride my bike until the prices go back to a dollard or two dollards haha..do you have myspace.. & are you hot? ;p

BTW I feel for you europe people with 6 dollar gas! WTF!!

AHAHAHAA!!! EIGHT DOLLERS FOR GAS??! YOUR HAVING A LAUGH GOVERNER!

Today I was on my bonny way down to't white rose. *That's a mall for you over the pond* and I hopped on the bus and lo and behold what did I see? Petrol was up to one pound twenty two point two pence! Diesel was one pound thirty point nine for a litre!

That makes "gas" prices here a good eleven and a half bucks to the gallon! Eight dollars for gas is literally nothing.

If you think about all the work that goes in to getting oil out of the ground shipping it to the shore shipping that to a refinery turning that into petrol or whatever and then some other stuff happens then it comes all the way to us. We are actually getting it pretty cheap considering that it's worth so much and they do so much work for it.