xisto Community
A200

I Need Help With Exams! They're Next Week! My exams are next week and I am freaked out.

Hi all,We have exam block next week and the week after (so we have Sat 7 June > Tues 17 June in exam block) so we only have to go to school for exams and the rest is at home studying.I had an RE Exam today, it was pretty easy as RE is non-OP and is only a subject the school makes you do. Tomorrow I have a Modern History in class Knowledge Exam... and also an inclass French listening exam!!!So my exams next week:MON (9 June): Queen's Birthday Holiday, no examsTUES (10 June): 8:30am - 9:30am ECONOMICS written response exam on PopulationWED (11 June): NO EXAMS :DTHURS (12 June): French reading exam then french writing exam. 50mins each, 110mins overall.FRI (13 June): Maths B exam (8:30am - 10:30am)SAT (14 June), SUN (15 June): Weekend, studyMON (16 June): English exam, 8:30am - 10:30am, writing a letter to the editor about a news article then Geography 11am - 11:50am, knowledge testTUES (17 June): Modern History exam essay, 600 words. 8:30am to 10:10am.WED (18 June): Normal school day, last day of school for Term 2.Then 3 weeks holiday :(I am pretty stressed out at the moment, HOW CAN I STUDY?? I find the computer so distracting... its such a temptation to chat on MSN or post on here. I need to study because there is a lot in these exams that I have forgotten and need to revise. What is the most effective way of studying? Doing it in blocks of 2 hour study, or smaller blocks alternating between subjects? HELP!!!!!!!!!This is the second time I have had an exam block, last year in term 4 we had one that went for a week but I only had 4 exams not 6 and most were short and easy!!Please help anyone.A200

Hi all,
We have exam block next week and the week after (so we have Sat 7 June > Tues 17 June in exam block) so we only have to go to school for exams and the rest is at home studying.

I had an RE Exam today, it was pretty easy as RE is non-OP and is only a subject the school makes you do. Tomorrow I have a Modern History in class Knowledge Exam... and also an inclass French listening exam!!!

So my exams next week:

MON (9 June): Queen's Birthday Holiday, no exams
TUES (10 June): 8:30am - 9:30am ECONOMICS written response exam on Population
WED (11 June): NO EXAMS :D
THURS (12 June): French reading exam then french writing exam. 50mins each, 110mins overall.
FRI (13 June): Maths B exam (8:30am - 10:30am)
SAT (14 June), SUN (15 June): Weekend, study
MON (16 June): English exam, 8:30am - 10:30am, writing a letter to the editor about a news article then Geography 11am - 11:50am, knowledge test
TUES (17 June): Modern History exam essay, 600 words. 8:30am to 10:10am.
WED (18 June): Normal school day, last day of school for Term 2.

Then 3 weeks holiday :(

I am pretty stressed out at the moment, HOW CAN I STUDY?? I find the computer so distracting... its such a temptation to chat on MSN or post on here. I need to study because there is a lot in these exams that I have forgotten and need to revise. What is the most effective way of studying? Doing it in blocks of 2 hour study, or smaller blocks alternating between subjects? HELP!!!!!!!!!

This is the second time I have had an exam block, last year in term 4 we had one that went for a week but I only had 4 exams not 6 and most were short and easy!!

Please help anyone.

A200

- It is not clear what help you asking for?

- For now my help is to advice you to forget the msn. You can do that in the next 2 week vacation after exam. Be strong in that.

- You are lucky have many days without exam so you have two or more evening to prepare yourself to the next exam.

- Also I have question anout the meaning of "block exam". I am first time hear this term even though I am in Australia as you.

Good luck

I am just unsure how other people find it best to study- do one subject for a long period of time or alternate... i'm unsure :S

You can only keep your concentration for around 40 minutes on one subject. After that, you lose concentration and don't take in what you are trying to learn/revise. The best method I have found is to work in half-hour chunks, with half-hour to one hour breaks between (depending on how much studying you need to to). Try to alternate subjects for each half-hour, but obviously put your focus on whatever exam you have next, and revise that subject more than the others.Keep some sort of schedule. Write down what you are going to revise when, and stick to it. Having it written down like that should stop you forgetting, or saying "just 10 more minutes on the PC, then I'll revise..." :( Plan ahead, and stick to your revision plan.Remember to take another look at what you revised the previous day. For example, if you revise some Economics on the Monday night, take another look at what you revised on the Tuesday morning. That will help it stay in your mind. You only need to read over it for a couple of minutes, but it will help it stick in. Do the same for revision you do in the morning - take another look in the evening.As for the best methods for revising, that depends mainly on you and how you learn. Personally, I find working through past exam papers the best way to revise. That way I know exactly the sort of questions I'm going to be asked, the spaces I'll have to answer them, etc. Also, looking at the mark schemes gives you an idea of exactly what is expected on each answer. I'm not sure how easy it is to get hold of past exam papers is Australia (the UK exam boards put them on the Internet for us :( ) but if you ask your teachers then they should be able to help you out.Good luck for your exams :D

Study many days before the exams start. It's the most effective study way I'm using. And review again your exam subject 2 days or 1 days before exam. It should be more easier.Yea, personally I found computer sometimes distracting. Just ask someone to password your computer, so you can't use it (useful), or any way better to avoid you from the computer.

5 out of my 6 exams are over. Just Modern History next :( we have to write 600-800 word essay about Nazi Germany etc. takes 100mins. I had my english exam today and I am scared. the word count was 500-600 words but I wrote 830 and after counting I had insufficient time to cut it down (i made sure I had 20mins at the end for editing, and did 15mins of editing before counting the words)... but smeh I didn't waffle on so it should be all ok :(I am confident I will get an A+ for Geography. I knew absolutely everything on the exam and I am pretty sure I got full marks or close to. By far the easiest exam i've ever done :(Last Friday I had Maths B and I worked quickly so I had enough time for the problem solving at the end- I did. I got them all done and checked my answers :DFrench went OK, seeing as the school does not enforce a time limit as such (because the aim of french exams is to determine the amount you know, not how quickly you can work) but you can't spend like 3 hours on one part tho. It was 2 parts- reading then writing. I spent about 1 hour on each, as I wanted to make sure I wasn't making careless mistakes. After we finished we could leave, I was the last to leave :( but the teacher didn't mind, there were a few people who left a few mins before me. :(Economics went alright, we had to write an Executive Summary. I am confident I did all that was required at a good standard :DI will let you know how I went on the modern history exam tomorrow... its almost 10pm so I am going to bed :(A200

The methods of studying varies from person to person. The best way for me is this.1) First read the chapter you are about to study lightly. Just scim over the pages and see what this chapter is about.2) Then read paragraph by paragraph one at a time. Understand the meaning of them clearly.3) Now close the book and take a piece of pen and a paper. Then in point form write everything you can memorize in the paper as a short note.That is it! You are done studying. The next time you are studying just read that short note and you will be able to remember it for a long time. At least this system works great for me.