xisto Community
ckcomputerstallahassee

Mime Type Trouble

I have been trying to validate my site with xhtml 1.1 and I am supposed to serve it as an application vs. text/html...1. It recommends changing to .xml or .xhtml extension but when I do this in my home folder it doesn't recognize the extension and calls is text/generic.2. Yes, i have added the mime type in apache, but I don't know why it doesn't recognize it?? It recognized a pearl script I made. 3. I also tried adding a perl script to the top of my pages to declare mime type but it doesn't seem to be working.How can I get cpanel to recognize these files and serve them properly. Im a newb, thanks!

Edited by ckcomputerstallahassee (see edit history)

"It"—you have a lot of "it"s in your post. Most seem to be referencing the validator. If so, what validator are you using to try and validate your file(s) with?

The information from the validator says the following:

The validator can process documents either as XML (for document types such as XHTML, SVG, etc.) or SGML (for HTML 4.01 and prior versions). For this document, the information available was not sufficient to determine the parsing mode unambiguously, because:
* the MIME Media Type (text/html) can be used for XML or SGML document types
* No known Document Type could be detected
* No XML declaration (e.g <?xml version="1.0"?>) could be found at the beginning of the document.

As a default, the validator is falling back to SGML mode.

It states that the text/html MIME type can be used for XML (XHTML) documents, as long as you put the XML declaration shown on the third bullet point at the top of your document.