xisto Community
FlameX

Security In Lan

HeY Trapsters .. i have a question here to ask .. > My friend has a LAN connection in his office .. its jus been 1 day n ther r viruses in his LAN .. he has Windows XP as his OS .. So his question was wat kind of security can he get into his LAN so that it is safe from Viruses n external threats .. ! Other than Firewall is ther any other security option for LAN >> ?And other suggestions r also open !!. ..

Get yourself a good hardware firewall (most decent routers have one built in). Then, as you're using Windows, get some good antivirus and firewall software on every PC, and make sure it is running constantly. Run an antivirus scan each week on every PC (overnight if you don't want it to disrupt your work). Then just be careful on the Internet, beware of downloading files from untrusted sources, etc. etc.

Get yourself a good hardware firewall (most decent routers have one built in). Then, as you're using Windows, get some good antivirus and firewall software on every PC, and make sure it is running constantly. Run an antivirus scan each week on every PC (overnight if you don't want it to disrupt your work). Then just be careful on the Internet, beware of downloading files from untrusted sources, etc. etc.

Do u mean tht i actually need to buy a Hardware router for the LAN network so prevent external threats ? ..

cud u suggest me some gud firewall softwares .. > ..

Do u mean tht i actually need to buy a Hardware router for the LAN network so prevent external threats ? ..

If you have a network, you must have some form of router anyway, unless it is just a network between two PCs? A good router with inbuilt firewall will stop a large number of attacks.

cud u suggest me some gud firewall softwares .. > ..

For anti-virus software, check out this topic.

For firewall software, try the following:

NetDefender (Download the Setup, not the Source)

Norton Internet Security

Norton 360

Comodo Firewall

rvalkass is right on. Your best bet would be a hardware firewall via a router. (standalone hardwire firewalls can be expensive). You also need to run scans of ad aware, spybot s&d and have an active setup like spyware blaster. You then need a solid antivirus. After those steps are taken, and you are fairly smart on the web, you will have good protection.