xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dontknowwhyibother

Are Leeds Rhinos The Greatest Rugby League Side Ever?

Now, I'm one of Leeds' biggest critics when it comes to Rugby League. I despise Hetherington for the Hunslet saga, and the recent wanting of ?3.2m ordeal with Iestyn Harris. Apart from that though Leeds Rhinos have blown me away this season. They are just a class above anyone else. I'm a big fan of Rugby League and watch the sport as much as I can and have to take my hat off to the Rhinos as they are just something else this season. They were the nearly boys for 32 years and until 2004 hadn't won the top flight since 1972, since that though they have just gone from strength to strength. The demolition of Bradford and Harlequins. The amazing defensive display against the Melbourne Storm and of course those last 20 minutes tonight to keep one of the most dangerous sides St.Helens out at bay to win the two points. Everyone goes on about Leeds' wonderful array of attacking options but what has really hit me this season is their defence. Their record speaks for itself. Anyone that can limit the likes of St.Helens to 10 points deserves a medal. McClennan has really added that extra edge to the Rhinos this year and they just seem like a machine. Little Rob Burrow, only 5 foot 5, pulling the strings and getting stuck in. Anyone remember that tackle he did against Jamie Thackray in 2005 at Headingley? Then Danny McGuire who's defence has really stepped up to the mark this season. Brent Webb, this fella is just something else. The best full back in Super League and which Leeds have had during the Super League era for me. His defence is okay, a bit give and take but his attack and support play is something else. He's just everywhere. And Jamie Jones Buchannan, so injury ridden a few seasons ago and he had so many injuries it could of so easily of ended his career but he's come out the other side a world beater, your real workhorse, just watch his workrate and how many tackles he gets through per game. Infact, the whole squad is superb. The youth system at Leeds Rhinos is next to nothing, the likes of McGuire, Burrow, Sinfield, Jamie Jones, Diskin and Bailey who all seemed to come through at the same time, then later on the likes of Scruton and Ablett, and more recently the likes of Gibson, Smith, Hall, Tansey and Burgess coming through the ranks. The future is very bright for Leeds indeed. Go Rhinos, do the city proud.

I don't watch the super league, but I would say the Rhinos are the form team at the moment. However they did beat a Melbourne Storm team that was missing some of its key players. I think a rematch against of the two teams would be interesting. McClennan is obviously a good coach, leading the kiwis to victory in 2005 and beating Australia in the final 26-0 in the tri-nations. After he left Great Britain and Australia smashed the kiwis all three times last year, what an embarrassment. The Kiwi side really misses McClennan.