xisto Community
ivantoar

Eraser - Erase Your Data Permanently! For Free A must have software

When you delete file and empty recycle bin (Windows), it doesn't actually gone permanently! Many software can be used to recover those deleted files. Now think and imagine, you've deleted your personal file or something then someone recover and steal it. Don't worry, Eraser will come in handy

What does it do?
It delete files permanently! Nothing and noone can recover it. You can make previously deleted files not recoverable too by using Erase unused disk space feature. (if you want to sell your harddisk, use this)

How can?
It uses the patterns used for overwriting are based on Peter Gutmann's paper "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory" and they are selected to effectively remove magnetic remnants from the hard drive.
INFO : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

OS Supported and filesystem supported?
It'll run with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP (32/64),Vista (32/64), Windows Server 2003 and DOS. It works with any drive including IDE, SCSI and RAID, and CD-RW's.

Requirement?
Not much, maybe diskspace 3-6 MB

Download
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Now you can erase your data permanently and safely. I've used this program for years and no problem!

P.S. : Double think if you want to erase with this program, it's NOT RECOVERABLE!

I've used this on both of my computers for at least three months and it's never let me down. It does it's job quickly and effectively, it's easy to use, and if you're of a technical mind, just tick a box and you can watch what it does as it does it.Word of advice though - don't use the "Right Click > Erase Unused Space" option on your Hard Drive if it is very large or has a lot of deleted files. Since it overwrites all unused space 35 times by default, the amount of work it would have in those cases could cause the Hard Drive to overheat, which could cause major damage to your computer. Instead, open Eraser, click "Edit > Preferences > Erasing", and choose a less thorough scan.

It is recommended to use Pseurandom data to wipe unused space. Thanks for reminding and don't forget to tick that 3 options (Free disk space, cluster tip, directory entries)

There is also another really good eraser that i use called BCWIPE. I have used it for years and it features the standard DOD standards. It also integrates into the shell menu on right-click.

Well, Eraser also provides shell menu on right click too. I never heard of BCWIPE. Anyway, I've seen Eraser as top freeware on CHIP Magazine.

hehe windows is a stupid OS.. I was able to recover data after the 2-nd install of the windows..the files must have been gone for long but no..with a good recovery program I was able to get stuff back. I only used such program only twice and only one time I need ;there's also a feature in the new Bit-defender antivirus for data erase

Based-on a security measure.It is really a good ideas and a need to wipe all bytes a file occupy on a disk.But I still worry that it will damage my hard drive.Would you mind give me some pointer about which options that must not selected. So I can test it out safey ?ThanksEric,