xisto Community
Nutty

Career Advice For Recent Grad (programmer)

I recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in MIS and I'm desperately looking for a new job. I have no real world tech experience and I need to get some. I would like to build a portfolio of programming projects, but I don't know what to create that would be of value. Any suggestions? I have java, VB.net, and Python. I have been working through some of the exercises at the end of chapters in my textbooks, but they aren't very hefty projects (like a small slot machine program). Any areas I should concentrate on that are really hot right now? Also, how important is volunteer work? I'm afraid to sign up for a volunteer project that I would probably not be able to stick to if I am able to find paid employment. But, I'm worried I won't find paid employment if I don't sign up for some volunteer work. Nutty

I recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in MIS and I'm desperately looking for a new job. I have no real world tech experience and I need to get some.
I would like to build a portfolio of programming projects, but I don't know what to create that would be of value. Any suggestions? I have java, VB.net, and Python. I have been working through some of the exercises at the end of chapters in my textbooks, but they aren't very hefty projects (like a small slot machine program). Any areas I should concentrate on that are really hot right now?

Also, how important is volunteer work? I'm afraid to sign up for a volunteer project that I would probably not be able to stick to if I am able to find paid employment. But, I'm worried I won't find paid employment if I don't sign up for some volunteer work.

Nutty

ok well I do not know what country do you live at but let me tell you something. Big companies do not look for college graduates, your degree doesn't mean anything to them if you do not have some experience and some creative projects. So in my opinion, it's best to join a volunteer work rather than hope for a paid job right now. This will give you some experience and will introduce you to what's going on in your field right now and this way you'll know what you need for your portfolio. Also, try grabbing some professional e-books concerned with your domain and read them, these should be very helpful. Good luck buddy :D

Hi NuttyI am working on a project for educational materials where we are using an applet to draw chemical structures, JChemPaint. This is an open source software and it is not working as we need. I need someone that can work with Java code to see and fix the limitations we are having.I have no money to offer as this is all non-profit, but would love to have some programmer like you lending a hand. The JChemPaint includes an app and an applet. We are using the applet. It is a sizable application with well structured code and all we would need is a couple of fixes on already existing code, but someone has to understand the code.If you are interested, please send me a message.Angel