xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dawid

Total Content Managers whats the best?

Hi, I've been using PHP nuke 7.5 for the last couple of months and so far it's been pretty good. I was wondering though, for those of you who use total content managers, if you could perhaps recommend any others and specific features that make them interesting. I find that with php nuke that I'm not giving absolute 100% control and find myself having to search through pages of PHP to fully customise it.

Well you have Phpnuke which is a start. I recommend using Phpnuke Platinum (http://www.techgfx.com/). It has many scripts preinstalled such as security and many other things. Its really awesome and comes with a cool theme and downloadables from their site.Ill post the full list later.

Yes! MAMBO!!!

Mambo is THE BEST content management software. I was actually planning to start a topic on this, but saw your thread and am chipping in. If you want me to rank CMS, here I go:

1. Mambo

2. Drupal

3. PHP-nuke

4. Postnuke

These are the four that I have actually tested and have finally opted for Mambo. It has great features and very easy to setup and use. If you know little html, even without much knowledge of PHP, you can still edit it to your needs.

Drupal is another that I have tested, it is very lightweight, has neat coding, but you need good knowledge in PHP to customize it, so I have backed off :P

PHP-nuke is the oldest and most widely used, large community and many modules and blocks to choose from... while the first two are still in the developing stage.

I would recommend Mambo. You can see it in some rudimentary action here in my site: medspan.info

Googlue

I'm just starting to use mambo myself and am very impressed with just how easy it is to get everything working. it is a bit of a pain to have to upload everything manually via ftp to get the current version up there, but once that's done there are no great headaches left to deal with. It doesn't seem to have quite the same number of components and themes as php nuke yet, but it is definitely starting to catch up. I've also found it is a lot easier to make a theme yourself (it must be, even I have managed it!) which makes it easy to give your site the right look and feel. If anyone knows of any good sites listing templates (preferably with demos) apart from mambohut which I have come across already, I would like to have a look and see what sort of ideas people are going for.

i'm going to test other CMS later on. :D there's this nifty little CMS out there, but it's in GERMAN. lolz. :P can barely understand it, but i am waiting for an english version. that is if they are ever going to release one in the near future. ever heard of KooBI CMS? that's the one. try checking out their website (http://dream4.de/) if you speak/understand german. :D if it's not too much, and you are pretty good in german, can you make an english pack for this? then send me a copy for testing. :Danyone tried this? post your comments here please. thanks. B)

I have been using Mambo 4.5 for over three months now and I have really like it. It was the first cms that I started using. I have tried drupal, phpnuke,postnuke after that but felt mambo was the best. The interface, the plugin modules are easy to add and administrate. Moreover it takes up less space than phpnuke or postnuke. I need to get into tweaking the files now.. will do so when I have time. Mambo beats them all...... but one little problem - decent forum for it is not available. It wud be unbeatable if invision board cud be integrated with it.......... waiting for it....

Have you tried the simpleboard forum? I have just been playing with it on my site and it seems to work quite well. It does all the usual forum things and can be integrated with a community builder and private message compnent as well. It is also possible to use phpbb with mambo, there is a component for doing so that can be found on mamboforge. I am going to use simpleboard myself as it is apparently easier to get it working nicely with the rest of mambo, but I have seen phpbb working perfectly well in a mambo site too.

I'm trying out Exponent CMS right now. It seems good. I was considering Mambo, but I decided I liked Exponent's WYSIWYG and 'style' better. And Mambo and the 'Nukes seem to be what just about everyone's using now. (Personally, I dislike the Nukes.)

Anyway, if you want to look at some different systems, there's opensourceCMS.com. I found it last month and it has demos of dozens of them, including some blogs, wikis, and forums. And someone mentioned the comparison database on CMS Matrix in another thread.

I'm just starting to use mambo myself and  it is a bit of a pain to have to upload everything manually via ftp to get the current version up there

42964[/snapback]

Well, the latest version of Mambo - 4.5.1a is available in Fantastico, so you really need not upload it through ftp and unpack. It is just there waiting for you :D

The older version only was available in the add-on scripts page, but once Fantastico has been installed, you have the latest version.

Check in your control panel now - Mambo 4.5.1a is available there.

Googlue!