xisto Community
bittu

Build A Website

I use open office, it has a HTML website building feature and it's free! Or use dream weaver, it's very advanced but easy to use, I don't have it at home because wine (windows emulator) doesn't run it and i doesn't run on Linux but we have it at school and its OK! In my opinion though, nothing beats a little bit of knowledge, notepad and if you need it Google.

Hey and welcome. I know your new here since you've been posting a lot of content that is either in the wrong forum or contribute little to what is already present at these forums. I just want to say that your only going to get credits deducted because they will have to be moved or deleted later by the moderators. Make sure you understand how this forum works if you are serious about getting hosting here and eventually a domain. So my advice is make sure you understand the rules by reading the read-me page for new members and refrain from posting just for the sake of gaining credits.

read-me
http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?actE=01&HID=18

As said for a beginner a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor like dreamweaver is a good start. Google "FREE WYSIWYG Editor" and see what you can find, but also as said nothing beats coding a site from scratch so try learning HTML :D

i can highly recommend http://www.htmlgoodies.com/ I have learnt pretty much all i know from that site. It has an excellent tutorial and after a couple hours each day you will be a pro at html programming using just notepad within a week.It really helps do sketch the layout of your site on paper and then divide it all into tables.I have never properly used Dreamweaver but friends of mine have asked to fix code of theirs cause dreamweaver wouldn't always set up the tables like you want them..But i agree, dreamweaver is a good simple program that does not require much know how of programming.Maybe get dreamweaver and just follow the table tutorial on htmgoodies. Once you have fully understood how tables work you will be able to make any webpage layout look good. Look at this page, basically just lots of boxes all set up aligned with each other.All of them are tables and it gets a bit tricky sometimes figuring out how to make them all fit how you have drawn in on paper but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it.

Well I agree with all above about dreamweaver, but one thing. Price. If your new to making a site, I would have to say to look around on the net for freeware, or even trial software such a coffeecup. This is what I did when I 1st started to learn the in and out of thing. Good Luck and have fun.

For HTML I recommend Microsoft Front Page, It is my favorite HTML editor I think it is by far the easiest to use and gets the job done. I have used dreamweaver and its not to bad i think Front Page is much easier to use.

I assume that you just want to create a simple site and that you're not looking to become an html and CSS guru, so I'd recommend downloading a free program called NVU. You can download it from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to create your page in a table. Otherwise, your page elements will move around on a visitors browser depending on their screen resolution and screen size. In other words, if you create your site on a computer with a 15 inch monitor and you write a 5 sentence paragraph on your site, and somebody views your site with a 20 inch monitor, your 5 sentence paragraph will now be a 1 or 2 sentence paragraph stretching across the screen! And if you're typing text around graphics or pictures, the formatting will be a mess. So use a table, and place each unique element in its own cell.Technically, CSS with Divs, absolute positioning, is the simplest way to create a web page. I just think it's more difficult to code CSS if you've never used it. A table is easier. This assumes that you've used tables before, or Excel. If you'd like to do it right, though, I think NVU will code in CSS, but remember to use Divs (dividers) with absolute positioning.

Don't get caught in the trap of needing tables for anything but tabular data, because it doesn't follow standards, and clients tend to want standards-compliance.

Well actually you can't use a single software to develop all your needs. I would suggest you do your man structural work on Adobe Dreamweaver. It was previously with Macromedia but Adobe bought it recently. Thery are marketing it with their CS3 Pack

A short intro...

Adobe Dreamweaver is a web development application originally created by Macromedia and now owned by Adobe Systems, which acquired Macromedia in 2005.Dreamweaver is available for both Mac and Windows operating systems. Recent versions have incorporated support for web technologies such as CSS, JavaScript, and various server-side scripting languages and frameworks including ASP.NET, ColdFusion, JavaServer Pages, and PHP.FeaturesAs a WYSIWYG Presto-based editor, Dreamweaver can hide the details of pages' HTML code from the user, making it possible for non-coders to create web pages and sites. A professional criticism of this approach is that it produces HTML pages whose file size and amount of HTML code is much larger than they should be, which can cause web browsers to perform poorly. This can be particularly true because the application makes it very easy to create table-based layouts. In addition, some web site developers have criticized Dreamweaver in the past for producing code that often does not comply with W3C standards, though recent versions have been more compliant. Dreamweaver 8.0 performed poorly on the Acid2 Test, developed by the Web Standards Project. However, Macromedia has increased the support for CSS and other ways to lay out a page without tables in later versions of the application, with the ability to convert tables to layers and vice versa.Dreamweaver allows users to preview websites in many browsers, provided that they are installed on their computer. It also has some site management tools, such as the ability to find and replace lines of text or code by whatever parameters specified across the entire site, and a templatization feature for creating multiple pages with similar structures. The behaviors panel also enables use of basic JavaScript without any coding knowledge.Dreamweaver can use "Extensions" - small programs, which any web developer can write (usually in HTML and JavaScript). Extensions provide added functionality to the software for whoever wants to download and install them. Dreamweaver is supported by a large community of extension developers who make extensions available (both commercial and free) for most web development tasks from simple rollover effects to full-featured shopping carts.Like other HTML editors, Dreamweaver edits files locally, then uploads all edited files to the remote web server using FTP, SFTP, or WebDAV.Syntax highlightingAs of version 6, Dreamweaver supports syntax highlighting for the following languages out of the box:	* ActionScript	* Active Server Pages (ASP)	* ASP.NET	* C#	* Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)	* ColdFusion	* EDML	* Extensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML)	* Extensible Markup Language (XML)	* Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT)	* Java	* JavaScript	* JavaServer Pages (JSP)	* PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor (PHP)	* Visual Basic (VB)	* Visual Basic Script Edition (VBScript)	* Wireless Markup Language (WML)It is also possible to add your own language syntax highlighting to its repertoire.In addition, code completion is available for many of these languages.Version history	* Dreamweaver 1.0 (Released December 1997)	o Dreamweaver 1.2 (Followed in March 1998)	* Dreamweaver 2.0 (Released December 1998)	* Dreamweaver 3.0 (Released December 1999)	o Dreamweaver UltraDev 1.0 (Released June 2000)	* Dreamweaver 4.0 (Released December 2000)	o Dreamweaver UltraDev 4.0 (Released December 2000)	* Dreamweaver MX (Released May 29, 2002. Version 6.0)	* Dreamweaver MX 2004 (Released September 10, 2003. Version 7.0)	* Dreamweaver 8 (Released September 13, 2005)	* Dreamweaver CS3 (Released April 16, 2007. Version 9.0)Internationalization and localizationLanguage AvailabilityAdobe Dreamweaver CS3 is available in the following languages: Arabic (Middle Eastern version), Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew (Middle Eastern version), Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish.Adobe Dreamweaver Middle Eastern language versions available from WinSoft[1].Specific Features for Arabic and Hebrew languagesDreamweaver Middle Eastern versions allow typing Arabic or Hebrew text (written from right to left) within the code view. Whether the text is fully Middle Eastern (written from right to left) or includes both English and Middle Eastern text (written left to right and right to left), it will be displayed properly in the browser.The Middle Eastern versions are also available for Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe InCopy and for Adobe Creative Suite (Design Standard, Design Premium, Web Premium).

Why do people keep insisting that notepad is good for web page development? WHY? I mean, yes, notepad can read plain text files perfectly, but does it have any syntax highlighting? Of course not. Try making BIG scripts or html files without syntax highlighting, it's a real pain in the butt.

If you want to become a good webdeveloper, know your limits: Nvu is good if you have no coding knowledge, but if you do, please just download a decent HTML code editor! (Bluefish, for example... VIM, Emacs, Notepad++, even Notepad2 will do right).

Also, make sure you have Firefox and Opera installed (to check how your site works on both), especially Firefox. Then install the Webdeveloper Toolbar extension. Also install Firebug and possibly YSlow. These will help debug your site more easily.

As for graphics and such, just download and install Inkscape and The GIMP. And don't even bother saying that The GIMP is hard to use. No it's not. It just has too many windows. Other than that, you can get pretty much everything done with it and Inkscape. If you have pixel-art needs, just go ahead and use mtPaint.

And to top it all, make sure you run a local webserver to speedup the creating-testing-correcting process. You can install Apache, PHP and MySQL separately, or you can download a pack with all three of them, such as XAMPP. If you're new to this, I'd recommend using XAMPP. Also, don't forget to grab an FTP client, such as Filezilla.

A piece of advice: don't EVER use Word's or OpenOffice's "HTML capabilites"; they're just plain wrong. Always try to make sites that validate with the current standards (you can validate them easily on different validators using the Webdeveloper Toolbar I mentioned before). Another thing, too. Most of the programs I mentioned are open-source, and can be run in any operating system (except Notepad++ and Notepad2). Also, try to NOT use flash animations and javascript. If you do have to use them, make sure the page graciously degrades for people that don't have flash/javascript. Build your Webpages with structure in mind, and not the looks! Worry about the looks later, when you get to CSS. Make sure you properly set these two domains (structure, presentation) clearly appart! It will save you time and frustration ;)

Documentation on HTML markup is abundant in the web. So is PHP and MySQL documentation (you can check out their sites; they're pretty good for that).

Remember that webdevelopment can be made for free. Don't resort to dreamweaver unless you really really have to. Also, follow the standards... They were made for some reason ;)

For websites, I like my code raw. I usually compose it in something like Notepad++. However, for people new to the web coding scene, I suggest you use a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor like Dreamweaver. Personally, I started coding raw from the very beginning, but I guess I'm not normal :lol:

The best software according to me?Well the only one that i have used is frontpage.IF you are a beginner then this is the best way to learn html programming. You can do changes in the WYSYWIG editor see the preview and then see the html codes. Well for professional website designing i don't prefer frontpage as it is too basic. Well notepad for me is okay for my level of programming. You should try publisher available is office or dreamweaver by macromedia