xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

Unable To Replace .png File In Directory Cant even delete it using Cpanel

I can't delete a little file using file manager in Cpanel. I'm trying to delete a .png image, actually, I'm trying to replace it. The response comes back as a success, but when I reload my site it's still there. Then I go back to the file manager and go up a level, then back and WOOP! There it is! I'm beyond frustrated here. What is going on?

Well, if cPanel Filemanager doesn't work, then you can try to delete it using Filemanager Legacy, or if that fails aswell, you can try to delete using your FTP client (which I'm pretty sure that you have)...Anyway, are you sure that the file isn't currently being used? But, if it isn't, then you can try uploading the new .png file directly and select the "overwrite existing files" checkbox, if that fails maybe then, it could be a not so big, but possibly very annoying bug to do with Filemanager, or even cPanel itself...But maybe soon Opaque or BuffaloHELP can assist you in a more "professional" way... :)Good luck by the way :lol:

How was this PNG file created? Was it uploaded through a (custom-made) script (not cPanel) or FTP? If through a script, then it may have different permissions, and the only way to delete it would be through a script.

The file is part of a Joomla template I uploaded. Apparently I don't have permission. Don't know how that's possible. I can't delete it or replace it via ftp transfer utility, Transit, or on the file manager. I'll give that other file manager a try. I don't know how it could be "in use"...

I don't think the FileManager Legacy will work. If Joomla has the ability to delete files, use it. Otherwise, make a quick, small PHP file for the purpose of deleting that file and after doing so, delete that PHP file.

Well, I don't know what an "uninstall.png" file is or how to build one, and since admin never came on to offer their suggestions, I guess I'll just have to replace the file on my computer, re-zip it, and upload the modified package with the new file intact. What a waste of effort for one little file...

Well, that didn't work either... Surely I'm not the only person who's downloaded a free Joomlashack template, modified the header to display the name of my website, replaced that file, zipped it all up again and tried to upload it to the server here... What am I doing wrong????Edit to add: Am I playing around on two different hard drives in the server when I'm in file manager on one screen and in the Joomla Admin web site on the internet on the other screen? If so, and I think I am, how long does it usually take for file changes in file manager or from my FTP client to update to the drive that I'm looking at in the Admin screen? Hours? Minutes? Seconds? I'm not seeing any kind of real response time. What I've ended up doing is uploading a new file, not a .zip package, but the uncompressed files to the templates folder in the public_html folder. That worked, but the new files are not showing up in the Admin site yet... Perhaps they will by tomorrow...

Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)