xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get G.e.d. Justice run amuck or fair sentance?

Ok. Here's the skinny: While she was 16, a man's daughter was getting into all kinds of trouble such as truancy and wound up in Juvenile Court where a judge ordered the father to ensure she passed the General Equivilancy Diploma that is a substitute for a High School diploma in the States. Well, here's a little snippit:

A Fairfield man is in jail because his daughter hasn't gotten her General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
A judge ordered the father to stay on top of his daughter's education months ago and when that order wasn't followed, Brian Gegner was sentenced to 180-days in the Butler County jail.

The daughter, Brittany Gegner, says her father shouldn't be punished for her problems.

Especially, she says because she's now 18, an adult.

So, go read the whole thing HERE.

Was the sentence just? Personally, I think not. The daughter was in the custody of her mother at the time of her delinquency, first of all. Second, it appears the judge handed down his court order after she turned 18, which makes her an adult. I think that judge has a God-complex and God gets quite irate when his orders aren't obeyed, even when they are totally irrational. What say you?

The sentence might have been unjust. And any court case followers can see that this sentencing was to make an example for future cases (hopefully not but you never know these days...).But I cannot help but to express--thank god! Finally a message that someone should take a responsibility for teens of America! And I believe it starts with parents. And when our so called judicial system orders a parent to follow certain procedure, disobeying them is not an option. As a court case perspective this judge had every right to sentence the defendant however the court pleases. If you're on probation for driving without a license the next time you get caught you end up in jail, for example. But does the punishment fit the crime for this father? Should the father pay for his daughter's laziness--if I may call it that? It's hard to say. But the judge "ordered" father "to stay on top of his daughter's education." And by "stay on top" should that mean achieving a result in passing GED? The real question for all CourtTV watchers is this: is the judge up for re-election soon? :lol:

Was the sentence just?

"Stay on top of his daughter's education" doesn't say much. The sentence, i'd say, is unjust, as no one should be responsible for the actions of another. A test cannot be an absolute determining factor of one's education. If the judge mentioned the punishment that the defendant would suffer during the court case before the test, then that could have increased stress on the student's side. However, due to the way the family members responded, it implies that the judge did not mention any punishment before the test. No matter how much effort the parent(s) take(s) to see that their child gets a proper education, there is still the possibility of the child failing. For example, the father could have been someone who had trouble with their education and could have also forgotten a lot of what he learned in school, therefore where the teachers are unable to help the student, the father can only do so much. Also, for example, the father, due to a busy schedule, could only keep tabs on his daughter for a short amount of time. Another example: the daughter could have chosen to continue in her old path, and even with punishment from the parent's side, the daughter could have retaliated by continuing in her old path.
Another thing, the article says, "months ago." How many months is it? Is that really enough time for someone to cover everything found in an average G.E.D. test? Apparently there was a pre-scheduled date for her to take the G.E.D. test.

Even if this was a message to parents all over the country, how many will bear knowledge of this event, how many will actually see it as that and how many will actually care?

I think that judge has a God-complex and God gets quite irate when his orders aren't obeyed, even when they are totally irrational. What say you?

Consider getting to know God.

Consider getting to know God.

Oh, I know God. You might consider getting familiar with the concept of satire. That quote was taken, totally stolen, from an old Monty Python movie called "The Meaning of Life" and the song, "Every Sperm is Sacred." In which they sing, "...if a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate..."

I wish I didn't have to explain satire to people... Focus on the topic and I suppose we could avoid discussions like this in the future...

Just exactly what is it that ANYBODY can do with a 16 yr old?????By that age they have decided that they allready know everything in the world there is to know, that they are the smartest person in the world, and they can do anything they dang well please. Attempting to start parenting at that age is pointless and futile. Any judge with half a brain should know that. Unless of course he had never had children.