xisto Community
AbdurahmanL

How To Make Your Own Counter Strike Source Dedicated Server!

Ok, so you want to host your own CSS Server on your computer eh? Well you will not need a lot of things, and it is very simple. All you will need is time. ;)

I did this tutorial myself, from my experience when I made my own CSS Server.

This is just a simple tutorial! It ONLY covers the basics of making a CSS server!

Lets Get Started! :lol:

1. Download the HLDS Update Tool from here.

2. Once it is downloaded to your desktop, run it and go through it like you would any installer.

3. When you reach the part where it says which directory, we use c:\HLserver

3.1 Complete the installer, the go to step 4

4. Go to run, then type cmd, then when the command prompt is open we type cd C:\HLServer

5. Once it is updated, put this .bat file in the folder C:\HLServer

6. Run the .bat file. You might want to go somewhere or have lunch because the server files are >1gb.

7. When it is done, run the .bat file again, too see if it missed something.

8. When that is done, you will have all the files necessary to run your server! We have a few more steps though.

9. Go to the hlserver directory, and right click srcds.exe and click create shortcut.

10. Right click that new shortcut and delete everything in the target field.

10b. In the target field type this: "C:\HLServer\srcds.exe" -console -game cstrike -port 27015 -autoupdate +maxplayers 12 +map de_dust

10c. This is just an example, you can change this how you wish.

11.You will need a server.cfg to configure your server name, and options. There is a wonderful automated server.cfg maker here.

12. Now to fully customize it you will need the Mani Admin Plugin, you will also need custom maps to put into your server. A nice place is fpsbanana.com. Don't forget to add the maps you put in the server directory in your maplist.txt and mapcycle.txt!

13.Congratulations! You have now made your own Counter Strike Source Server! Just run it with the srcds.com shortcut. It will pull up a console that you can use to change the map, and talk to the people in the server from your desktop!

Also you don't click srcds.exe. You click the shortcut. This dedicated server is better than the regular steam dedicated server because It's easier to configure, and it takes up less resources!

I hope you liked this simple tutorial! :)

Edited by AbdurahmanL (see edit history)

You must have done something wrong then. I did it the same way as in the tutorial and it worked.strange eh?

How many slots will you be able to run? And will your PC suffer alot of lagg because of it? Will the server be lagg-free? Hope to hear from u soon :)

Well Accure It depends on your upload speed. Basically 384kbps would give u 6-8 people ok. 512kbps would give you 10-12 And as you go higher with your upload speed th more slots you can have! Yeah, if you don't go over the limit of your upload speed, you should have no lag.

Hi, i am using linux as desktop and server operating system.I would like to install a server on it. My distro is Debian aand i am running Kernel 2.6.24.So if there is any package or link you can give me to download the CSS for linux please make me know.Thanks, Seba.

Ermm, I don't have any experience in linux, so I can't help you, but I'll look for any tutorials in linux.

Ermm no it's not. It's for Source. Read the program names if you want. It's SOURCE dedicated server. Not regular half life dedicated server. So cstrike makes a counter strike SOURCE server. Read you stuff IceAge next time k? :) I love you guys.