xisto Community
dunkjmcd

Java Vs Javascript

Darned good point, folks. I'll see what can be done about starting up another sub-forum.Thanks.

No need to create another section for JavaScript itself. This section doesn't have to deal with how they work or are used. If it has the word "Java" in it, let it be part of this forum.

yeah they are different, thats like comparing HTML and C, they dont do the same thing.

yeah i thought as much. football and handball both have 'ball' in the name but you wouldnt put them in the same subcat of sport

All very good points. But you must remember that this is Xisto, not Xisto. Xisto is more computer oriented and therefore have more specific subforums. The same reason why they have actionscript and we don't. We just don't have enough members into programming to make it so specific. If we had as many computer related subforums they wouldn't be very full.But I do suggest that we take javascript out of this subforum and rename the AJAX one to Javascript/AJAX. It fits better in that one.

football and handball both have 'ball' in the name but you wouldnt put them in the same subcat of sport

I would if the sub category was named "Any sport that ends with 'ball.'" :lol:

We should add Java coffee to this subforum. It would fit in just right. We could rename the subform to "Terrible things that nobody likes". Ah yes forget my original plan of putting javascript with ajax. This works much better.

What do I need to learn?

Java Vs Javascript

Do I need to learn JavaScript first, or can I go straight into Java? I have the "teach yourself java in 21 days" book.

-question by Miguel

Java and JavaScript are completely different. Java is used for writing applets, enterprise programs, and desktop utilities. JavaScript is used for adding more interactive functionality to websites. Java isn't hard, and JavaScript is almost a piece of cake. Learn Java first, and you'll know enough concepts to rapidly learn JS.

there's a big difference...very big I could sayJavaScript is mainly used for interactive stuff on the websites..I you know a bit of C, C++ it's very easy to learn javascript..Java is something different it's object oriented..and you build applications with this...you can use it everywhere that's why Java is so loved by some developers because of it's portability.. I guess if you know already the basics of C, C++ or Pascal any other programming language you learn after it's much simple to understand..but there is no need to know C ..just this I believe it's the best to start learning;

What do I need to learn?

Java Vs Javascript

Do I need to learn JavaScript first, or can I go straight into Java? I have the "teach yourself java in 21 days" book.

-question by Miguel

Well it depends on what u want to do. If u want to build interactive Java web applications both are required. JavaScript is a far easier subject to grasp. Java is like a whole universe. So i guess you should look into JavaScript a little and see what you can use it for to satisfy your couriosity and then start learning Java.