xisto Community
catslic

Best Php And Mysql Editor For Noobs anyone any php or mysql editor that is good for noob

hi there guys,from my previous posting, i am a noob in php and mysql programming. I want to know if there are any php and mysql editors which are best for me as a noob.i appreciate your kindness

Use Notepad. You'll learn best and quickest that way because you won't have some program filling in function names and with cut-and-paste PHP code, doing half the work for you. It will force you to do it all yourself.

Use Notepad. You'll learn best and quickest that way because you won't have some program filling in function names and with cut-and-paste PHP code, doing half the work for you. It will force you to do it all yourself.

Although I do agree with you, I do think new programmers can benefit from an IDE that color-codes their code for them. I use one that color codes and completes my code but I turned off the auto function complete feature so it only color codes the page, and it is so much easier to read through the code.
Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

I've always recommended Geany as an editor.

By "MySQL editor," do you mean one that edits the database or do you mean a subset of PHP (i.e. PHP MySQL functions)? If the former, then try the MySQL Query Browser. If the latter, then Geany. :lol:

Use Notepad. You'll learn best and quickest that way because you won't have some program filling in function names and with cut-and-paste PHP code ...

Actually, auto complete doesn't degrade the learning process, for if you don't know what the function does or how to use it, what would be the point in selecting that function except to pause and look it up? Also, the auto complete feature is a good learning tool, as it introduces other functions that the person may have not even known existed.
But i agree on the copy and paste part.

I'd recommend the Eclipse PHP editor also known as Eclipse PDT (PHP Development Tools) It is based on the Eclipse IDE and the official PHP Editor with support from Zend, the company promoting PHP. Official Eclipse PDT (PHP Development Tools) download site Download the All-in-one package contianing all the required components to run Eclipse PHP Editor from Zend.

I used Notepad, its the only way to learn to start off with, if you use something like Frontpage or Dreamweaver its like having an interpreter, its saying to you; "why learn the language when you can get something to do it for you", once you've used Notepad and got with the concept of all the coding, move onto something like Notepad++, its easier if you have long scripts as it can check curly brace matching etc... (gets VERY annoying trying to do it on Notepad).Good luck anyway, like I said, the only way to learn a langauge is by practise, not getting something to do it for you.

Notepad is horrible for coding, but I would suggest Programmers Notepad 2.  It's what I use, and it recognizes all languages, so there is no need for any other.

Yes, you can turn off auto complete, color the line your working on, turn on or off line numbers, etc.  It also recognizes which language your coding in, by the opening tags.

-reply by jcbones

For a "pure" beginning, which have not touched any programming language, he may fnd a IDE (and of course a good tutorial) like Eclipse PHP (http://www.eclipse.org/pdt/) would be beneficial.For me, as I often handle PHP files in both ANSI and UTF-8 encoding, and like to modify code files directly, I use Notepad++.

What were using in the company i have worked with was Notepad++.It has syntax highlighting, one good thing about it can see words of the same spelling which is very good for checking of misspelled php variables.