xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Here is the question, Which is better Apple logic or digidesign protools? That is the question.

***Just to clarify, as bluechip noted I didn't explain what they both do****
Logic and Protools are pro-level recording software, if you thought that Audacity was good, you aint seen nothing yet.
Logic Screenshot 1600x1200 http://archive.tweakheadz.com/images/Logic-studio.jpg
Protools screenshot 1024 x 768 (an old one, but its still protools) http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Both enable you to multitrack record, put effects on each (such as compression, reverb, delay etc), its pro level recording software, both are big companies, Apple make computers, digidesign make digital audio hardware (audio interfaces for computers, digital mixing consoles) So they're both pretty big companies.
***Hopefully that clarified that for you bluechip and anyone else who was confused***

Logic Pros:
Cheap
Doesn't require any additional hardware to use (a decent audio interface is reccomended)
No Dongle
Bucketloads of free plug-ins and effects (none of which require activation or registration)
such awesome EXS (sampler) instruments
Can handle midi better than protools
Anything pro tools can do, it can do.

Protools Pros:
Everyone uses it (industry standard)
LE comes with some audio interfaces (which ironically it needs to run)
Both Win & Mac compatible
can use control surfaces

Logic Cons
metering freezes when going into a menu (add plugins etc)
Logic 8 (full install) Requires 50+ gig for all samples and libraries but can be installed on an external HD

Pro tools cons
Needs digidesign hardware to run (cannot mix on the go)
plugins require activation, and when running a volume license is a pain to manage
The Metering is pre-fader.
more steps to set up a 'reverb bus'
Not as simple and easy to use as logic

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, They're more than welcome to. Especially cons for logic, i cant think of any more

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

Just what are you talking about. Which tools are these what do they do. Is everyone supossed to know things like this coz I'm totally lost. Why are you looking for cons for Logic? U think it is a great product and I'm sure eeryone will agree with u especially if Logic is made by the smaller company of the two. Just like Microsoft and anything else

Well you already mentioned all of the pros and cons I was going to bring up. It's really up to you and up to the system you are hoping to run it on. As you mentioned pro tools is the industry standard and if you want to do this for your future career I would recommend that just so you have the experience with it. The only con I can think of that you left out for pro tools would be its support on mac. Most of the time when apple releases a new OS, pro tools doesn't run too well on it, and digidesign rushes to try and fix it. So if you always want to be up to the newest version of apple's operating systems I would recommend Logic, otherwise they are both great software. It is just up to you and which one you feel more comfortable with.

Starter

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I'm looking to start making some tunes, and I'm lost with all of the programmes out ther, which one is the best for beginners??

-reply by Iain Watson

i really think logic is better than protools

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Ok,I must say that Pro Tools is a great DAW enviornment when working with multi-tracks,however I have outputed stuff str8 outa P.T. And its just not the same as Logic 8.Logic has a superior sound quality;it's cleaner and it reproduces what you put in and with the right amount of tweaking can sound very BIG.It gives you tools which you would have to register and ilok the **** out of just 2 get the sound you want.Not to mention the thousands of dollars you would have 2 spend 2 get them.Logic gives 50 gigs of that good ****.Protools is just 2 ****ing expensive.There are certain tools which have the edge over Logic 8 like vocalign.Hearing what T-pain did with his mixes in Logic made me wanna **** with Logic like right away.

-reply by Big Beast

beginners luck

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Replying to iGuest

What kind of tunes do you want to make?

Are you using a mac or pc?

If your using a mac garageband is really easy to use and super fun.

If you like your dance and want some good quick results you could try FL - also really easy to use so I am told and some sweet vocal effects on it too.

Hope this helps

:-)

-reply by twangy mermaid

pro tools conPro Tools Or Logic 8?

Another Con for Pro-tools unfortunately:

bounces to disk in real time converts in real time. 

other programs, for example, garageband, or logic or sonar etc.. They do not.

this can save you so much time when you're trying to work on a project or transport it or whatever. I have found that to be rather annoying. But it's alright I guess because I like pro-tools.

-reply by Elliot

Naw I'm just kidding, unless you got a tape machine then ill buy it from you. Anyways, Logic is the **** for production/ in-the-box mixing. Pro tools is the **** for tracking. They should **** and have a baby. Cons of logic- when you punch in it freezes for a sec. Cons of pro tools, is that its pro-tools (madd $$$ or cheap converters, take your pick).

Apple offers 1 year memberships for $99. You go in once a week for an hour and learn logic face to face with an expert.

Pro tools offers certifications. They have different rankings. Usually the classes start out at roughly $1000 but to completely learn pro tools (and the icon board) go get up to $10,000

Of course you could learn it all your self for free, over a longer period of time.  

-reply by Lensekraft 8

What PC recording program would best suit my needs?Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I've used logic recording software in the past, but now that apple bought out the program, it is no longer available on PC.  I really likes the user friendly MIDI portion of the program, because it had very high zooming capabilities.  I just bought a new PC, and would like to purchase a similar program that is as user friendly as Garage Band or Logic Express, the old version of logic. Which programs would most likely suit my needs?

-reply by melissa

What PC recording program would best suit my needs?Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

I've used logic recording software in the past, but now that apple bought out the program, it is no longer available on PC.  I really likes the user friendly MIDI portion of the program, because it had very high zooming capabilities.  I just bought a new PC, and I'm looking for a program with similar capabilities that is as user friendly as Garage Band or Logic Express, the older version of logic.  What programs are available that would most likely suit my needs?

-question by Melissa

Logic for music, Pro tools for trackingPro Tools Or Logic 8?

Get logic for music, if you realy track allot of vocals which will need critical editing then you will need pro tools, they realy fixed both programs so that you pay for the features you need, 

for example logic has tons of plugs, built into osx, and all the features like PDC, mp3 export and dithering which are sold as 3rd party features when you buy pro tools are there in logic, 

But pro tools has better editing features logic lacks when you realy need to edit close, and maintain levels,  your better having both really, but if you only work with loops, simple recordings then stick with logic.

All best

-reply by Man from mars

Pro Tools or Logic 8?Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Melissa-

Shoot for Pro Tools 8. I have been working with Logic Pro and Garageband for about 8 years now and LOVE them (I know them both inside and out), BUT in the work environment just about everyone is using Pro Tools. I GUARANTEE Sonar would be useless (mainly because no one uses it, and if you decide to use it it takes up A LOT of memory with the whole "64-bit" quality thing). If you know Logic well all you will have to do in Pro Tools is get acquainted with where all the tools and plug-ins are located. Cubase could be another option, if you want to be advanced, because they partnered up with Celemony to give you a Melodyne-type pitch correction. But I suggest Pro Tools 100% if you want to make a career out of recording

-reply by Tim Homan

Pro Tools or Logic 8?Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Hi!

LP or PT... 

My opinion: LP it's a GREAT app, no doubt. It's really PRO, the quality of the recordings is fantastic and YOU DON'T NEED AN EXTERNAL SOUNDCARD!

(Not like PT...)

PT is the best, we all know it, but first think: why PT it's standard in all the studios around the world??? 

Simple: They strike first, they build the hard (like Apple and they OS's & computers) and the soft.

Now the both level is awesome, I work with PT8 and LP8 and the new design of  PT it's so LP8... That's make me laugh!

Somethings of LP8 are great, others of PT too, but they got the real weapons to rule.

Gretings!

PS: My english sucks, I knew... Sorry!

-reply by Blackmac

LOGIC STUDIO AND LOGIC PROPro Tools Or Logic 8?

Hi I'm new to all this Logic studio stuff but I was wondering , Do you have to have logic studio 8 to run logic pro8? Or can you just go out and buy Logic pro With no problem?.

thanks.

LOGIC STUDIO AND LOGIC PRO

Pro Tools Or Logic 8?

Hi

I'm new to all this Logic studio stuff but I was wondering , Do you have to have logic studio 8 to run logic pro8? Or can you just go out and buy Logic pro With no problem?.

thanks.

Logic Pro 8, is part of Logic Studio... It's a package that retails for $500, which is pretty cool, since Logic Pro 7 alone, used to retail for $1000...