xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PCessna

Java Or C++

Many having tell me to make my MMORPG in java leads me to agree, But I'm not sure truly is it not yet easier, but yet the outcome of programming an MMORPG in java will make it fail or succeed more then one in C+=I've learned a lot of variables in javascript, and I don't think that java would be too bad either. My true question is, is those who use these languages, which seems to give better outcome, and which seems to be more in ease. Regards-PCessna

C++ is generally agreed upon as being harder than Java. If you want to make an mmorpg, then you need to pick what type. If you want a stand alone game, then you probably want to use C++. If you want a web-based game (like RuneScape) then make a Java applet. Either way, it's easier to make a game in Java, especially with the huge standard library and available documentation and great support for things like sockets.

If you're thinking to build mobile phones games..java is No.1 ;) if not...i guess C++ is better.. but depends on the type of application, so for some applications dealing with C++ will be much harder than with Java.

At my school, they teach us Java first, then C++. And it makes sense...I've yet to find a significant project that was much easier to do in C++ than in Java. C++ has its perks in that it often produces faster programs and can be more powerful, but Java has the advantage of a huge standard library which helps immensely in your coding. Often you'll find that what you want to do has already been done for you, so you can concentrate on other aspects of your code. It's also easier to make your program web-accessible with applets in Java.

C++ increases speed, while Java gives you more productivity. But c++ is more complex, then to create a Web application, for example, it is recommended that you use Java.

Hi, i dont know why are you chosing between this two object oriented languages.In my opinion a game should be done in C or C++, i would not have in mind java because it is some slow for 3D graphics and it is executed on a jvirtual machines, so the server will be slow and will need a faster machine than a server done in C/C++.My other point is that C or C++ can be compiled in Linux, Mac or Windows if you are planning to use OpenGL Apii. This way your client will have compatibility in all these famous platforms.Also if you are making the server in C with Unix sockets, it will also be compatible with all the massive operating systems.Well, to finish my recomendation is that you do the game in C++ language as it is not very complicated. If you know how to program you will find it very easy but some tedious to write the graphics engine.I expect you got millions for the project and share it with us :) .Good luck, Seba.

For me it really depends on you. Java and C++ as its own pros and cons, it really depends on you which language you would prefer. provided that you are willing to sacrifice based on the language you choose. for example if your going to develop the game using java, you will have to sacrifice its speed and hardware requirements. In the other hand if your going to develop it in C++ then be prepared to do complex programming. The choice really would be yours to make.

its all depending on your knowledge but java look at this mmorpg that i play its called runescape i dont know if some of you heard of it buts its been upgraded alot and now its has better graphics and more hours of plays. it can be found here http://www.runescape.com/ the game entire game is coded of java and you don't have to downloaded which is a browser game

IMHO, you should really go for Java... Why?1. Multiplatform: it will just really easy to port your game to Windows, Linux, etc.2, 3 and 4. Easy for programming network, threads and graphics.5. Garbage Collector: it will facilitate your life. If you go witgh C/C++ you will *probably* take long nights trying to follow some dangling pointer, etc. :-)6. There are some examples of good games made with Java in net. Someone pointed out Runescape. There are others. Don't get caught in the "Java is slow" myth.Well... That's it... :) Of course you should weight yourself your constraints to see if Java is a good choice. But probably you will take more time focus in the game if you choose Java.[]s

I personally recommend Java because that is what I use and it is very easy to learn. Although I have never tried C++ I would like to as I have heard that it is more powerful and versatile so long as you are using a Microsoft operating system. Java's major advantage is that it is entirely compatible with all operating systems.

I agree with the previous reply - java is platform independent and provides a huge amount of features which are more secure(you might disagree) and i absolutely love the memory management system and C++ definitely provides more speed - that is its best feature compared to java. Java is a high level language where as c++ is low levelThose being the general features you have to decide on the following questionsHow much easier would one be than the other? Both are very similar and it is a personal preference of the programmer. Try both and see which one you like best.How long would they take to make? How long would it take to learn everything necessary to make a mmorpg?How many more people would play the game writing in Java? This is purely based on how good your game is. Language itself isn't going to be a huge factor in determining if someone plays your game. Being online may expose the game to more people, so you could see a quicker response to the game... but the goal will be to get them to stay with the game and like it. That is all left up to your game design.I would recommed you to go first with C++ and use any library like SDL (Simple Direct Media Layer) which is freeand it's a good way to start with games, start by creating some easy and realistic, what i mean is create something that you can achieve. and finished it! then start developing mroe complex Applications and games..-C++-OpenGL-Win32

I agree with the previous reply - java is platform independent and provides a huge amount of features which are more secure(you might disagree) and i absolutely love the memory management system and C++ definitely provides more speed - that is its best feature compared to java.

Yes, the main advantage of Java is its platform independence. And there is nothing to disagree in security of Java. Java is definitley secure than C++. Unfortunately, sometimes this security is its weakness. Yes, memory management is really good in Java because you don't need to explicitly manage the memory.

C++ is faster than java in some cases, but not always. There are some cases that java is faster than C++. So it depends. Most people believe that java is slow because java need to unzip all its libraries and some compiled classes to run. So, java startup is slow.

Java is a high level language where as c++ is low level

No...Both Java and C++ are high level languages. Low level languages are very very hard to program. They are machine dependent(Yes not just platform, but particular hardware). Example for low level language is Assembly language. :)

Occasionally java gives better results with respcet to speed but i still feel based on JIT implementations and structure that JVM performs with, there is a reduction in speed to a certain extent.

People are tempted to believe that because of high organization java will give them more speed, i agree but java is slow not bacause of design but the JIT implementations. So as long as you use a single class computation java will be on par with c++ wrt speed.

I will provide you with an excellent article on this topic:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

No...Both Java and C++ are high level languages. Low level languages are very very hard to program. They are machine dependent(Yes not just platform, but particular hardware). Example for low level language is Assembly language.

I would still say C++ is more of a mid level language.bah!! it is not really important:P
I have worked quite a lot with COBOL as well in mainframes, compared to that anything is low level:D
Edited by niklophiliac (see edit history)