xisto Community
DeM0nFiRe

Will There Be Any Sort Of Credit Return?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there would be any sort of credit return for the days the websites were down. I lost about six or seven days worth of hosting without being able to view my site, so if possible I'd liek at least some of that back.Thanks for listening! :lol:

Seeing as it is free hosting in the first place I don't think there will be any return but admins are usually understanding in situations like this.

they might but most likely they wont. anyways your logic makes no sence why should there be any gredit returns because site view does not effect your credit in anyways what so ever. the gredit effects your site view if there was something wrong with the forum or the gredit system i could understand but there's realy no need of gredit returns.P.S. with so many topics poping out about the downtime you could have milked that for those seven days, if you know what i mean.:lol:

Edited by etycto (see edit history)

I highly doubt it since everyone made up those lost credits during the down time, and could easily make that up in like 2-3 posts to begin with. However, I think the primary concern for everyone, especially with high search rankings and visitors, is trying to get back up there as fast as possible. Or you could be starting over again trying to build up for that lost, and so I wouldn't be worrying about credits since that is easy to make up.

I suppose, but I just assume that the we post to have a website hosted, and since for that period we, for all intents and purposes, had no websites. I'm obviously not going to cry if I don't get anything, I just think it would be nice.

Edited by DeM0nFiRe (see edit history)

Let's not call it a 'Credit Return'. Maybe more like a Credit Bonus to pacify us for our loss. I know that our hosting is free and I really appreciate that a lot, including all the admin's hard work. However, to some people, their websites are very important to them, so a few days of disruption in their webhosting would cause a lot of inconvenience to them and their audience. It may not be in terms of money, but also in terms of things like exchange of news and information. If you'd like a more concrete reason for granting us extra credits, we can think about this. When our websites are working again, we will have to spend extra time updating and explaining things to our website visitors as a result of those few days that the website was down. Furthermore, we didn't have advance notice about our websites going offline, so we couldn't inform our site visitors and that makes things worst. Hence, we would end up having to spend more time rectifying these issues, and less time trying to build up on our credit count. So some bonus credits would come in handy.Obviously, I'm not going to kick up a fuss if I don't get anything, but DemonFire has made a good point and I'd just like to show support for it.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

I would like to have around 4 extra credits say? I don't mind if this idea is rejected, but for me, its a waste of my time this last week posting for the credits if all I get is an account that I cannot access nor anyone else can access. As well as I was going to reopen my site on May 1 (it closed in march but we decided to relaunch it) and I had everything ready on localhost but couldn't upload, so its an inconvenience to me as the opening has now been delayed 4 days and won't open anytime soon either as my domain still isn't working (its an addon domain to my account which is a subdomain) and I cannot access phpmyadmin to upload the database. I won't winge and whine for credits, but considering I had no warning and my opening was delayed (and potential visitors thus going to our competitors and not us) but it would make people feel better about the situation if it was done.

Seeing as it is free hosting in the first place I don't think there will be any return but admins are usually understanding in situations like this.

See Velma? Don't tell me people don't think of this as "free"! There's nothing free about this hosting service! You all are providing a service to the Xisto corporation by making substantive posts and adding to the intellectual depth of the overall collective internet, which they, in return, get real money from via search engines and such to pay for the operation and ownership of computer hardware and salaries to support staff. In return you're allowed a small amount of time to host your site. It's not FREE!!! The sooner you'll all see it for what it is, the sooner you'll have the power to demand some compensation for down time.

Well, the way I see it, the hosting is not free, because we do some sort of work for it. Since we did the work, but did not get the website I would think it would make sense if we got that work back. I mean, it isn't possible for us to have a website without giving the work, and it doesn't seem fair that the fact that we can work without a website is being taken advantage of. When it comes down to it, it is supposed to be a level exchange and things like this make it slanted a little bit away from us. It's not a huge deal, and I don't care much about the credits themselves. I just think it would be a testament of faith in internet dealings if things were leveled out a bit.

That's right. But Shree's going to need to catch up on about a weeks worth of sleep before you would want to ask him for a refund. I'm thinking a 5 credit refund (bonus) per hosted member would be about right. Anyway, let him catch up on some sleep then I think he'll do the right thing to make it square for everyone. It's little comfort for those who lost ad revenue, but it's still the appropriate response.

It would be inappropriate to demand some justice when the hosting service provider decided to upgrade for the performance. For all we know Xisto free web hosting accounts could have been left with the old server and somehow stuck with the old technology. And this is not Xisto forum member like conduct when pointing fingers and mentioning names when those who are mentioned have not been involved in this topic for any discussion. Membership to Xisto was clearly stated and agreed by all those who keep their hosting accounts in active status. There are other free web hosting providers but Xisto simply thanks you for being with Xisto. The choice is yours and you chose to stay with us. And we thank you for your support and loyalty.Furthermore, let's solve the critical issue at hand first and then talk about compensation. Let's solve every none reachable domain back to Xisto hosting server. Thank you for bringing up this subject and I'm sure OpaQue will not forget about the endurance we have shown. Otherwise it would not be the Xisto that I support and believe.It's frustrating. It's ridiculous. I know, I am with you going through the same. And with any problem the solution begins with one at a time. I know we can do this. :lol: Thanks guys.

In a way I agree with you BuffaloHELP, I understand it is hard for the Xisto staff when things like this happen, but I am more interested in having phpmyadmin back up as well as my domain- (adminhelpline.com is an addon domain to a200.trap17.com. my Xisto subdomain works and the site can be accessed by going a200.trap17.com/adminhelpline but its a waste to tell people that URL as it will confuse and a domain is easier to work out. plus the site isn't up as I need to do some database changes which I cannot do.) If the current cPanel skin is the one that is staying (not going back to the old look) then I would be happy :lol: anyway, I probably made up those credits from posting about the downtime anyway (and such discussions don't push the Xisto content base any further.).Thanks for your response BuffaloHELP :)RegardsA200

It would be inappropriate to demand some justice when the hosting service provider decided to upgrade for the performance. For all we know Xisto free web hosting accounts could have been left with the old server and somehow stuck with the old technology. And this is not Xisto forum member like conduct when pointing fingers and mentioning names when those who are mentioned have not been involved in this topic for any discussion.

Heh, what did I start? I'm certainly not trying to point fingers (I do not believe I have mentioned any names). Obviously no one is at fault with what has happened.

Membership to Xisto was clearly stated and agreed by all those who keep their hosting accounts in active status. There are other free web hosting providers but Xisto simply thanks you for being with Xisto. The choice is yours and you chose to stay with us. And we thank you for your support and loyalty.

Well, yeah. As I said there is no legal obligation for any sort of return. It is just, logically, fair for there to be one. Even if we don't get a return you must at least see that it is logical that we get one.

As I said, I'm not going to cry if I don't get one. It just makes sense that we get one. I mean, it's not like 5 days worth of hosting (which we have earned by posting) is going to leave Xisto a ghost town but those 5 credits could really help out some of the members here. there doesn't seem to be any substantial reason for us to not get one other than it's in the terms of service.

See Velma? Don't tell me people don't think of this as "free"! There's nothing free about this hosting service! You all are providing a service to the Xisto corporation by making substantive posts and adding to the intellectual depth of the overall collective internet, which they, in return, get real money from via search engines and such to pay for the operation and ownership of computer hardware and salaries to support staff. In return you're allowed a small amount of time to host your site. It's not FREE!!! The sooner you'll all see it for what it is, the sooner you'll have the power to demand some compensation for down time.

...well the way I see it Xisto is a free host. You do not need to pay real money for it, instead you need to "work" for credits. But let us be honest; it is easy to keep a website up and running. Xisto do not oversell, and that is great. I do not care if Xisto corporation earns money, why should they not? Who would someone keep a hosting site up and running if they did not have any benefits from it and if they did not earn money?

And then there is this other thing, the community. When joining Xisto you get to be a part of a really nice community. I barely work on my page, but still I come here as often as I can to post and chat with all the persons I have met here.

It is fair that we have to post. I do not need to pay anything for my hosting account, so I am happy. For me it does not matter if I have to post a little in the forums from time to time; it is worth it. :lol:

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

I suppose I came off as a tad angry in that post you quoted Bluebear, and I'm quite certain that Buffy's pointing to that post when he talks of pointing fingers. I was still annoyed with Velma for saying, on the thread she closed, that no one was calling this free hosting. Heck, the title of my browser tab open to this page is "Free Web Hosting, ..." . But I couldn't respond to her on that thread because she, apparently, wanted to end that discussion. It doesn't stop, just so you know Velma, it just spills over into other threads -like this one. Discussion is healthy. It lets everyone vent and talk it out. You shouldn't discourage it. So, sorry for being so harsh. This whole ordeal has been pretty traumatic for everyone, not the least of which are the Xisto staff working tirelessly to get everything back to where it belongs.