xisto Community
EricsSite

I Found Out What Lorem Ipsum Was Yesterday.

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

- Quoted from http://www.lipsum.com/.
Basically, Lorem Ipsum is a sort of gibberish used for (as far as I've seen) fill up empty spaces in website examples. A smple of this would be:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Suspendisse venenatis. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nullam hendrerit semper arcu. Quisque ornare malesuada diam. Curabitur scelerisque porttitor diam. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Maecenas tincidunt turpis vel turpis. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Sed tempus. Ut porttitor auctor risus. Aenean nibh lorem, ornare sit amet, auctor nec, vehicula vel, pede.

That's just random generated language. It doesn't translate to anything.

I used to see that stuff, and just think it was Greek or something, thinking, "Why on Earth are these people using Greek in their examples?"

Notice from jlhaslip:
added bbcode tags

Actually, it does translate to something. It's in Latin. It's not the complete version of the original but bits and pieces of it, which makes it a bit hard to translate. Lorem Ipsum.

Thanks for the wikipedia link... When I was in college, a teacher briefly explained about 'Lorem Ipsum', and I knew the general idea behind it, but it was nice to read something a little more substantial about it. Plus, it's also good to know about how some have been altered to include some other things in the text. I didn't realize that that had been done. Now I'll be sure to search for a 'clean' version of the text if at all possible before using it in any designs, because I don't want something really unexpected to pop up at the most inopportune time lolI can see myself giving a presentation with some Lorem Ipsum text, and one of the people I'm presenting to starts to snicker... I wouldn't know why until afterwards when he pulls me to the side to tell me what was actually written in there. I'd be so embarrassed lol...

yea. it's very interesting! If you use dreamweaver, i know you can go to their dreamweaver exchange site and there is a free extension that will automatically generate random Lorem Ipsum words for your site! It's great for webpage designers to fill in empty space so that they don't just type random letters (jklfdskljfdskljfsd)! I'm sure there are some online that will just do that for you also :D

I found that out just a few months ago in my Information Processes and Technology class when my friend was reserving space to type additional things later on. The first thing I saw was

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Suspendisse venenatis. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nullam hendrerit semper arcu. Quisque ornare malesuada diam. Curabitur scelerisque porttitor diam.

and I was like "Woah... how do you remember all of that?

I think I found out about Lorem Ipsum was when I started getting into making websites and borrowing templates from the web. What I like about it is that it does its job - it fills up its space. Unlike ';alksjvajnoiruhg78905gy98hsrpsh49ghkjgls' or whatever, it's actually constructed in a way that it resembles real sentence patterns.

I first encountered Lorem Ipsum when I started doing Desktop Publishing, (about 20 years ago now), using a program called Aldus Pagemaker, which has since been bought out, as most good design programs have, by Adobe. We used to practice with the Lorem Ipsum text, doing things like hyphenation, wrapping and flowing text around images, text columns, and other fun DTP skills. Eventually I had begun to memorize much of the standard Lorem Ipsum text, as I used it so often.

These days I use a great little Firefox add-on called Dummy Lipsum 2.3.0 which can produce an automatic random Lorem Ipsum text right in your web browser. Here is an example from it...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Suspendisse aliquet accumsan lacus. Cras hendrerit aliquet libero! Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Quisque sit amet urna at massa accumsan tempus? Fusce ac arcu ut dui semper feugiat. Pellentesque id sapien eget libero bibendum ullamcorper. Maecenas fermentum imperdiet sapien? Duis sed lectus. Sed turpis lacus, lacinia mollis, tempor a, feugiat et, tortor. Etiam lectus nisi, eleifend ut; tempus eu, hendrerit id, purus. Nunc condimentum egestas lacus? Nunc adipiscing elementum ante. Nulla mi pede, varius at, interdum ut, aliquet sit amet, odio. Fusce eleifend. Integer ut turpis eget leo pharetra interdum. Donec nec tortor? Vestibulum vulputate tincidunt nisi. Suspendisse potenti.

Etiam gravida tempor sapien. Mauris id justo. Vivamus at tellus quis purus imperdiet posuere. Nullam lacinia. In sed metus. In facilisis arcu ac nisl. Nunc at leo. Donec eget diam. Nunc tempor tincidunt neque. Maecenas ligula felis, ullamcorper molestie, pulvinar ac; vehicula ut, massa. Suspendisse potenti. Praesent dolor mi, malesuada at, vulputate ut, rutrum non, lorem! Praesent pede arcu, lacinia nec, vulputate vitae; convallis et, elit.

Now, I'm not writing this to increase my post count, or earn extra Hosting Credits. I'm actually interested in this stuff! Yeah, I'm a nerd, it's true. My first step from having computers as my hobby to working with computers for real was through DTP, and playing with Lorem Ipsum text. Upon completing an advanced DTP course, I began designing screen-printed t-shirts, wedding stationery, community newsletters, and advertising flyers. I did this at a computer retail store, which was the beginning of my computer career. So, yeah, knowing your Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet from your Maecenas fermentum imperdiet sapien can really lead to something big!

Its is one of the most commonly used random content gerators around, but I find the Latin text really "disgusting". But being one of the easiest to use, I really leaves e wirth no option sometimes, like when filling a free template as a demo.

Tha'ts cool! I used to host a website from a different webhost and the layout said the lorem ipsum gibberish. I thought it was latin and i was like wtf? Now i know, thanks for that! Interesting piece of Information! =]

Found this on Yahoo! Answers.

Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance. The first line of Lorem Ipsum, "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet..", comes from a line in section 1.10.32...
There are many variations of passages of Lorem Ipsum available, but the majority have suffered alteration in some form, by injected humour, or randomised words which don't look even slightly believable. If you are going to use a passage of Lorem Ipsum, you need to be sure there isn't anything embarrassing hidden in the middle of text. All the Lorem Ipsum generators on the Internet tend to repeat predefined chunks as necessary, making this the first true generator on the Internet...

And the Wikipedia article expands on the history of the Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

I noticed that a lot of companies and stuff use it to fill in space but I just thought it was random and never noticed it was the same everywhere. Learn something new at Xisto every day. I think from now on when ever someone says something and I can't understand them I'll say "Lorem Ipsum" to see what there reaction is.

ohh Now I finally know what it is. I just kept seeing it everywhere and never could be bothered looking up what it meant. I assumed it was gibberish to fill up spaces on layouts. Interesting link. Thanks!

You know, believe it or not, but I never have seen this used anywhere. In fact, I believe I was confused more by reading this topic to find out what Lorem Ipsum is than to not know. :)So people just use it to fill in space where they don't have anything else to put, right? If that's the case, I can't believe I've never seen it used before, I've seen a lot of space on websites go with nothing in them. Maybe I just don't get around enough or something. Good to know, either way.