xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
trialsite

Budding Java Game Developers? Ever wanted to make your own java web-based game, but not had the time

Right, this is the first post of hopefully many in this thread. Basically the idea is to get many developers together to share ideas and knowledge to create our very own game. First we'll be asking for is any ideas of what kind of game everybody would like to make, and then we'll set about assigning tasks depending on everybodies skills.We will need programmers, artists, web-designers, even admin and marketing. This will be freeware, but the experience will be great.So, ideas anyone?

Right, this is the first post of hopefully many in this thread. Basically the idea is to get many developers together to share ideas and knowledge to create our very own game. First we'll be asking for is any ideas of what kind of game everybody would like to make, and then we'll set about assigning tasks depending on everybodies skills.
We will need programmers, artists, web-designers, even admin and marketing. This will be freeware, but the experience will be great.

So, ideas anyone?

Count me in. I've got a lot of other projects to be done as well, but I might be able to help out a bit if you actually plan on going through with this. I am a second year computer science major and all we've been doing is java. Once you've got the idea down and the UI planned out i'll wright the basic structure of the game engine for you.

Sounds like a cool project. They teach us java in OOP at my university as well so I know most of the basic concepts of OOP and java. I wouldn't consider myself advanced by any means but I'm willing to learn more and take on any new challenges this project will bring. Count me in if you need a noob :lol:

Great, I think we have all we need :lol: Right, first thing's first, what kind of game do we want to create? I think we have two choices, we either make a simple(ish) safe game, that's pretty much guaranteed to work, but will be limited in what it can do, or we take the more risky option and try to create something a little more creative and detailed. Personally I'd go for the second option, but this is a diplomacy after all.

creating a game in java with just having core knowledge of java.java is basically divided into two core and advanced java. you need to also know advanced java if at all you want to create game. in universities they teach just basics as in OOPs. if you really want to create a game go to Guru.com and get yourself a professional java coder.

After more thought I'm not sure what kind of commitment I will be able to put in because of study and other real life duties. I still think this is a great opportunity for anyone to take on and I disagree about having a guru work on it as they would probably do most of the work and you will end up not learning as much. If you have time I don't see why you can read and learn off example code and do it your self having said that I'm sure it will be very complex and some guidance from an expert will no doubt be helpful but I think its good if you can try and do as much work as you can so you will learn more. With a lot of commitment and hard work you can get anything done.

In. How could this be done over a forum though. Come kind of CVS would need to be setup. Best idea would be to start out small like some poker, blackjack games. Maybe add MySql for member accounts. Kinda just like the apps everyone uses on facebook and bebo

Would like to help

Budding Java Game Developers?

Hi,

My name is Barak Avraham I currently chif architect.

I have 10 years experience in the software market and 9 years java.

I was senior engineer in IBM for 4 years.

I'm currently implementing some web game as a private project just for fun.

So count me in dude.

-barak

-reply by Barak Avraham

Making of PC Game

Budding Java Game Developers?

How about making a Farm Tycoon Game. Have no experience in any kind of pc programming skills and this makes me totally frustrated with the idea I have for this game.

-feedback by Mark Wilson

Nice InitiativeBudding Java Game Developers?

Well this is a great idea I think because somewhere a distinct approach is needed as most of the game developments using standard UP cycle lets try something different. I would suggest a J2me based game can be more fun as it will be handy the penetration for this game will be to more audiences in various continents, social status and thinking as not everybody is a PC junkie or can afford a system but can afford a cheaper substitute in the form of mobile device.