xisto Community
mrdee

Install And Uninstall Problems Mozilla Thunderbird will not allow one or the other.

Hi,
I tried to update Mozilla Thunderbird (email client) from version 2.0.04 to 2.0.012, especially because the older version was not functioning 100 % anymore.
However, when trying to install 2.0.0.12, a few seconds after the install start screen I get the following window that pops up:

"---------------------------Mozilla Thunderbird Setup
---------------------------
Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32.dll

Click Retry to try again, or

Cancel to stop the installation.
---------------------------
Retry Cancel
---------------------------"

After getting this I first renamed the .ddl in question to "mozMapi32.dll1", I got just the same. I then just deleted the .dll, but the message keeps coming back.

The other thing I tried was to just remove the old version of Thunderbird, but when I go into Control Panel=> Add or remove programs and then click on "Remove" unde Thunderbird, the Add/Remove screen just flashes and that is all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And, more importantly, does anyone know of a solution?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Hi,I tried to update Mozilla Thunderbird (email client) from version 2.0.04 to 2.0.012, especially because the older version was not functioning 100 % anymore.

According to the version numbers you posted, you're trying to install an old version of Thunderbird over a more recent version. Are you sure you're upgrading, or did you accidently reverse the version numbers in your post?

No his numbers are correct, I would try this, install glary utilities, go to the modules tab, then go to Clean up and Repair, then click Uninstall manager to do a more effective install. After that do a registry and disk cleaner, and then try installing hte latest version of thunderbird, which is 2.0.0.14 and see what happens.

dear the problem is in the directory in which you are trying to install thunderbird.

try installing it at a different location and hopefully you will successfully install it.[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

-reply by vaibhav

Answer to the FF problemInstall And Uninstall ProblemsI too had the Firefox Gag Uninstall/Reinstall problem. Error Message indicating that Firefox was running in the background, therefore unable to Uninstall or Reinstall- I finally got rid of the Bugger and don?t expect to reinstall an invasive apparatus that grows root behind your back and doesn?t leave when it's no longer welcome.So the steps that I took were to look to see where this drone was hiding. First I deleted FF off of my Desktop2nd I Deleted MFF from Start menu-3rd tried to delete MMF off my C: drive of course you must dig down into the i86 folder / this 3rd move didn?t work- I once again got error messageSo I went to the start window and typed in the (RUN) interface- msconfigThis command brings up your system configuration -in the tabs at the top I wanted to look in the Startup tab as well as the services and Tool tabI did this because the error message says FF still running and yet when I right clicked on the systems tray which is at the bottom of your browser window so that I could look in my Task Manager to see if there were any noticeable Mozilla FF running there were no obvious signsWell this also might mean that MFF has a drone plugged into another application and isn?t visible to the average JoeSo back to the System configuration and its Tabs I went and double clicked to see if MFF was nested in Services or Startup- the answer was noThen I checked in the Tools of the System Configuration and looked in the system registry there were 2 MFFOX .Exe files running yet not showing up anywhere else- I waved the mouse over the registry and saw that these files were located in the i86 on the C:Drive- yet I had already been there I returned and right clicked to explore the file once I was in there I deleted crash reporter and two updater folders-plus the extensions file and a Mozilla safe mode folder-AND BLAMO I then hit the Mozilla Fire Fox program and OFF it WENTI then also found a URL for Fire FoxWhich I got rid of tooNo more poor etiquette from programmers-reply by Patrick Portor