xisto Community
electriic ink

Where Do You Stand? religiously speaking

Where Do You Stand?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Theologian Richard Dawkins has developed a scale to measure strength of religious belief on a seven-point scale. They range from 1 (strong theist) to 7 (strong atheist). Dawkins himself claims to lie at 6.8 and has remarked that he would be surprised to meet anyone in point 7.

Where do you stand?

1) Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2) Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'

3) Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4) Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5) Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'

6) Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7) Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

Impressive how it's 4, 5, 6, 7 right now with 4 votes.I'm a bit skeptical, but I tend to respect other cultures, and sometimes believe in them.

My parents are Buddhist, so I take on their religion too. But I'm not very religious. I do not go to the temples regularly and I don't go vegetarian on certain days unlike some staunch Buddhists. I also have no qualms doing some things that are against my religion. However, I do respect mine and other people's religions and I believe in the existence of God and deities. So probably 3 for me.

I would place myself at somewhere 6+I have a Naturalistic point of view. I love to know about different cultures and communities and even religions. I examine them and I adopt things I can defend and think are beneficial for me and any human in general. I though have no respect for the hypotheses of God or any deities/myths/inherited ignorance.God is very improbable from what we know about the workings of Nature, but then there's so little that we know.

I grew up in a christian family always rejecting their fate and the idea of a god, the word alone makes me realize of its none existences. Come its dog backwards. But thats just a lame joke. I don't see why some have the need to believe in a god.

Same 6+ probably about 6.3, I was brought up as a christian but if anything that made my belief in god less because its so damn boring in places like church... plus I think for myself and have decided I don't beleive it! of course we must respect others beliefs though I might think its a pile of rubbish.as of the time of this post the forums are35.72% Athiest35.71% Agnostic28.57% ThiestWith 50% leaning towards or actually thiest35.71 leaning towards or actually AthiestThe Remainder made is AgnosticYou can draw your own conclusions from that info

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

1) Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

Why? Go outside, and look at the trees. Look at the birds. You can't tell me God didn't do that.

I am a 6. I am not 100%sure, but I am pretty sure there are no supernatural beings. I man, what evidence is there? I have found none!!! Of course if anyone has any, just send them to me. I am open minded and would believe if presented with sufficient evidence.

Why? Go outside, and look at the trees. Look at the birds. You can't tell me God didn't do that.

I can, and if asked, I will. I believe everything in existence has a naturalistic explanation to it. I mean, just because we don't under stand something doesn't mean we have to use the myth, "god did it".

Anyways, just my two cents. Have a good day!!!

Notice from jlhaslip:
merged

Edited by byronarnold (see edit history)

Kansuke: God Didn't do that... easy, didn't have to blink. While i'm there I might look at the poverty and pain and the earthquake destruction in china. It works both ways, did god do that?, anyway birds are overated all they do is poo on your head. God represents hope... I think of him as a metaphor of humanities need to escape death. Of course I do not fear death therefore, do not need god as a confort blanket.(BTW that wasn't aimed as being offencive)

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

7! Absolutely no doubt. Gods don't make sense. I also don't believe in ghosts, or demons, or any other nonsense. I do accept that some people may be gifted with telepathy, but I also believe it's explainable through science. We all have electrochemical thoughts that are floating around out there. Some people being sensitive to it wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't require a nonscientific supernatural explanation.

i stand at 3..being in the Philippines, religion especially Christianity is a strong influence in our lives..i personally believe that our life on earth is not at all "accidental" or natural because no one can achieve or create humans and other living things with great complexity except God himself

Theologian Richard Dawkins has developed a scale to measure strength of religious belief on a seven-point scale. They range from 1 (strong theist) to 7 (strong atheist). Dawkins himself claims to lie at 6.8 and has remarked that he would be surprised to meet anyone in point 7.
Where do you stand?

Thanks for such a good quotes dear friend. I think I am not the one to grade myself. My beloved ones and my friends and the people around me who interact in one way or other to me are actually the one who will be grading me in perfect and in the true manner. By the way its only my personal opinion. 

I'm definitely 6 i think, i tend to look at the proof/evidence side of things. On one hand 'nothing' within the boundaries of my natural experiences has convinced me there is a god. Although on the other, nothing logically explains the initial creative force behind all that we know (the universe). Sometimes i think i could live easier if i were a 2 rather than 6.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

i too would sit at the 6+ mark... i think to declare one's self a 7 would essentially equate to being a liar or a "god" in and of yourself for the simple fact that such a concrete response would require absolute truth, meaning that you apparently existed when all of this was created and as of yet, i've not met a man that has lived since the beginning of time.that said... i certainly have my leanings. i suppose you could say i'm a follower of the church of carl sagan. i grew up in a very christian home but was lucky enough to have parents that were very open and understanding. i was to attend church until the age of 12, at which time it was up to me to choose what path i wished to follow. to this day, my mum and i will still have faith based discussions and she is completely supportive of my choices regardless of whether or not they match her own. there is a respect based relationship there and in that, honest discussion can take place. i might not be willing to bend to her views, but i'm always (well... usually) willing to hear the opinions of another.

My step-father would be an absolute 7, beyond a shadow of a doubt. He and Dawkins would probably have a lot in common... I often tell my mother that it's a shame he never sired a child of his own, since he is a brilliant artist and musician with the most amazing memory capacity (literally photographic).

My mother and I, however, are odd birds in the proverbial flock. I don't think I am able to rate myself to a single number; I am somewhere between 4 and 7, on a sliding scale. I have a very complicated view of balance and energy, and the capability to manipulate both.

My hypotheses delve into the realm of quantum physics, although I would haste to say I've only dusted the surface. I never have (nor will ever) disallow for the presence of a form of energy which would be interpreted as God (or something else of a theistic nature), but I view it as merely such: a form of energy... able to manipulate itself and its (potentially universal) environment as it may see fit, whether intentionally or no.

Animals (all animals, humans included) are too complex and intelligent, with specifically unique personalities (even though we are barely using our brain capacity) to say there is not something else "stirring the pot." But I view religion (ALL religion, not just Christianity), as a currently-very-successful attempt to manipulate, control, and instill a particular quiescence in the general majority. After all of these centuries, and all of the translations, and all of the exaggerations and embellishments that inevitably decorate the generational retelling of any story... who can truly say what is the "word" of any deity, let alone God?

The bible, in my opinion, is a horribly ungrammatical travesty of the English language, and then the English language is an immensely far cry from the ancient languages first used to interpret the deific inspirations of those mortals from a long-forgotten era.

Awareness & interpretation has evolved as much as our physical bodies and capabilities have. To claim that one is accurately representing a "truth" from many ages past is to lie to both oneself and to those who have entrusted their faith in what one is proclaiming.

Anyhow, I think that's enough shock and potential offense for one dose. On a completely separate note, I am fascinated by this scale and appreciate the opportunity to learn about it.

Thanks!