xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

What Is Personality Typing?

Personality typing is a method to classify people based on how they function, derived mostly from Carl Jung's theories. There are eight different temperaments and sixteen types in total. Each type consists of four temperaments. The most popular methods for personality typing are MBTI and Socionics. Socionics is similar to MBTI but includes a process called "Visual Identification," where one attempts to idenfity a person based on their appearance (facial structure, body movement, etc), and may differ slightly when typing people.

Introverts and Extraverts

Extraverts (E) are described as those who feel more "energized" around people. They're known to speak their mind, be more outgoing—they're people people, if you will. Introverts (I) are basically the opposite, spending most (or a lot) of their time inside their mind; that is, they feel at their best within their own world. Introverts are usually labeled as the "quiet types" by others. They aren't naturally outgoing and may be seen as distant or reserved by others.

Sensing and Intuition

Sensing (S) types are those who receive information via their senses. These types tend to be in the "present," reacting to or dealing with things as they happen or arrive. They are interested in things that are pleasing to the senses and can be quite realistic; they're generally not interested in abstract things (like theory) but concrete things; they're are generally interested in the practice of things. Intuitive (N) types take in information via their intuition, often trying to deal with things before they happen; they tend to be in the "past" or "future" (mostly future). They are into new and abstract things.

Thinking and Feeling

Thinking (T) is the process of handling or dealing with the information received (whether through their senses or intuition) through logical analysis. Thinking types are often seen as cold people, not naturally considering the feelings of others. They are into things logic (e.g. systems, structures and patterns). Feeling (F) is the process of handling or dealing with information through emotion; this does not mean that they aren't capable of using logic. Feeling types tend to be more into (care for) the people in a business over the business itself. They're known to easily pass their emotions onto others.

Perceiving and Judging

Perceiving (P) and Judging (J) is how one is motivated into situations. They basically control how the previous four temperaments work. Perceiving types tend to not fully confront things, they tend to flow with the situation. They can start a lot of projects, but finishing them isn't necessarily their main concern. Perceiving types tend to deal with constantly changing situations without much difficulty. Judging types do not like to leave things unfinished; they prefer to come to conclusions. Following rules come easy to them. Judging types work well in stable situations.

What Type Am I?

By many MBTI standards, i am considered to be an INTP; very few, INTJ. By Socionics, i am an INTj. I personally prefer Socionics method, as i have found it to be more accurate. I've found Socionics Visual Identification to be quite interesting, and helps me identify a person easier. Some say that if you want to convert from MBTI to Socionics, you just change the last temperament to the other. Though this may be true (like it was for me), it is mostly not always the case.

What Type Are You?

Psychological Type profiles.

cool i love assessment tests. i took one earlier this year and it said i was INTP also. i keep track of these things in my personal blog, so back in september 2007 i was ENFP - Extraverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving. i used to have a lot of friends, and now im living in another city that is scary and i cant relate to anybody here, thats why my results changed.

My type and Socionics VIWhat Is Personality Typing?

Hi,

Great to know you're interested in Socionics. I've been studying it and human mind/society for the last 4 years. I'm INFJ. My Socionics teachers are INTJ (Rod Novichkov authore of How to Find Yourself and Your Best Match Socionics) and INFJ (Antonina Volkova -  Russian PhD in Sociology) types.

Socionics is mostly very rewarding and can help in many areas of society especially in education.  

-reply by Maritsa Darmandzhyan

I'm definitely a Introverts and Extraverts type, I'm outgoing and when I'm around others I seem to be more energetic. But people seem to love me for these qualities as it lightens up the mood for everyone. Well this is very interesting to say at least it seems somewhat logical way of defining someone. : D Yay me I learned something new today, thanks.

I'm definitely a Introverts and Extraverts type, I'm outgoing and when I'm around others I seem to be more energetic. But people seem to love me for these qualities as it lightens up the mood for everyone. Well this is very interesting to say at least it seems somewhat logical way of defining someone. : D Yay me I learned something new today, thanks.

Many extraverts appear introverted when alone or quite thoughtful and other reasons. By your description, you're not an introvert. In social gatherings, an introvert is most likely to stick close to and interact with those they know, though possibly not taking any initiatives with their friends; they are unlikely to stand out or take any initiatives with those they don't know. An extravert would interact with even those they don't know. But this is not to say that, when motivated, an introvert won't start extraverting. But with an introvert you are most likely competing with their inner world when motivating them to extravert. So the best way to get their attention is to bring up topics that they're interested in. Normally the extravert is the one that asks those kinds of questions, like "What do you like to do?" or "What kind of things are you interested in?" This is, of course, due to the fact that an extravert often likes to compare their thoughts with the thoughts of others—even if they don't agree with the other person's thoughts.

I've taken these tests a few times and have gotten both and INFP and ENFP. They keep switching back and forth. I wonder if it's because I'm close to the border between the two types.

I've taken these tests a few times and have gotten both and INFP and ENFP. They keep switching back and forth. I wonder if it's because I'm close to the border between the two types.

ENFp can often be seen as introverts, because sometimes when they take the time to reflect on their lives, they start introverting a bit. However, tests depend on how well you answer them. For example, whenever i take an MBTI test, if i don't give a complete answer, that is, i am given for each question an answer where i have to pick 1 through 5, if i don't pick either 1 or 5 for the answers and go with 2 or 4, there's a 90% chance of the test concluding that i'm an ISTJ. But if i answer either 1 or 5, i get INTJ. However, for the Socionics test i took, i came out INTj—their test was different, though.