xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dark

Google Searches Becoming Annoying

HiGoogle searches are really starting to get on my nerves. I mean you search for keywords like "Tsunami coverage" or "Lop ear rabbitt" or whatever and you get returns in the top 10 like Ebay.Buy tsunami coverage on Ebay!!!I mean come on Google, I understand these companies pay for high rankings but there is no Tsunami coverage on Ebay or lop eared rabbits on sale either which violate their terms of services.My 2 centsPatrick

i dunno... but i searched for the keywords you used as example in google ("tsunami coverage" and "lop ear rabbit"), and i got the most relevant search results in both searches, and not even one ebay link in the top 10, not even the word "ebay" in the whole results of the first page. what browser are you using? if you are using IE, it could be that your browser has been hijacked by some adware if you keep getting search results with mostly ads in the top 10. it's just a possibility.

I don't know what you are talking about too!I did search just to check... bur NOT A SINGLE E-bay result in the first 20 results.When you are on top, like Google, you have to take this *BLEEP* from people, I presume. :rolleyes:

Uh.. yeah I suppose being at the top has its hazards. However, I have to agree that the overall search result quality seems to have gone down over the last few months. Maybe its just that people have figured out how to use SEO to their advantage.. or maybe the Google spider got a lil dumber.

Yeah, it certainly is a shame that to find results that I want I often have to browse to the next page or two, but no search engine can be perfect all the time. dark, are you sure it wasn't some sort of advertisement on the side, or perhaps a sponsored link? Show us a screenshot or something next time, because for the tsunami, there certainly shouldn't be any Ebay stuff up top.

HiWell someone mentionned that my browser could have been hijacked and I think it was even though I run ad-aware, spybot and hijack this.But these were not updated and I just did that and ran them all several times and now my searches results are normal.No Ebay selling "Tsunami coverage" or anything else that can't be sold there.So anybody getting weird results in google searches should really clean their system free of spyware.Patrick

I don't know what you are talking about too!

When you are on top, like Google, you have to take this *BLEEP* from people, I presume. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

I guess since you seem far from that top tourself, you won't have to worry about getting any *BLEEP* from anybody :)

Patrick

Just use metacrawler. It searches the best search engines out there.And yeah, i once got the annoying google thing then i scanned my pc for spyware and cleaned them out. Next time i searched google, ebay was gone...You probably just need to clear out your pc of adware.

To be fair, a random tsunami related query COULD throw up an ebay page as one of the top searches.. primarily because eBay has been advertising a tsunami disaster fund on its homepage.. and it isnt really hard to figure out why a small banner on ebay would show up as a top search. Ebay is probably one of the most frequently crawled websites.Although totally unrelated search results obviously point to the presence of spyware on your system

I think Google is fine as it is. It really created a big hoo haa with its Gmail. Now I keep a close eye on Google. I can start to find common ground with dark. I was searching for the term 'yamato' recently. IJN Yamato is a Japanese Battleship. Anyway, the search results did point to something about Yamato, but most of them were commerical sites. Some examples are sites selling 'Yamato Modelling Kits' and other merchandise related to the ship. My point is, if I'm going to buy these stuff, I would have searched something like 'Yamato modeling kit' or 'Yamato merchandise'. All I wanted was to find out more aobut that warship but was given a slew of commerical sites instead...-Shackman

I think Google is fine as it is. It really created a big hoo haa with its Gmail. Now I keep a close eye on Google. I can start to find common ground with dark. I was searching for the term 'yamato' recently. IJN Yamato is a Japanese Battleship. Anyway, the search results did point to something about Yamato, but most of them were commerical sites. Some examples are sites selling 'Yamato Modelling Kits' and other merchandise related to the ship.

My point is, if I'm going to buy these stuff, I would have searched something like 'Yamato modeling kit' or 'Yamato merchandise'.

All I wanted was to find out more aobut that warship but was given a slew of commerical sites instead...

-Shackman

42893[/snapback]

google, useful as it may be, is simply a tool. :P and as a search tool, it's the most efficient i've seen. yahoo even acknowledges that (remember when yahoo used to partner with google in churning out their search results?).

but as a tool, how efficient the results google gives us would largely depend on how we use it. B) in shackman's example, 'yamato', as obscure as it may seem, will have pages related to it in google results. but one-word searches like that would certainly yield most accessed pages as google sees that as the relevant results.

adding some more keywords would narrow down the search. and the more keywords there are to a specific topic search you want to investigate, the narrower the search would go, and you would get the most relevant results. :D i usually do my searches in google with their advanced search features (using refinement techniques). here's a link for some tips: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/35890

:D