xisto Community
master_ninja

Cpu Overheat

I might be wrong (it has happened before), but it seems my CPU is overheating. When running Speedfan the CPU temp rises to appox 59 degrees celcius. At this stage my PC locks up and there is a loud continous noise.

I have removed alot of the dust from around the CPU fan, this did seem to bring the temps down a bit, but it recently crashed again.

Firstly am i right about this being the problem??

Secondly what can I do about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My PC is a little on the old side now....

Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-GIntel Pentium 4 @ 3000 MHz
2048 MB (4 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Radeon X1950 Pro

Pentium 4's are very prone to overheating from my experience. I would suggest that you check up on how the thermal compound is doing under the CPU. Replace it, and if it still does the same thing, then I would suspect the northbridge chipset of overheating. Write back with your results.

I would buy some artic silver and pull the heatsink off the cpu clean it real good with some rubbing alcohol and then apply the thermal compound put heatsink and fan back on top the cpu and everything should be working fine as long as the fan is still spinning at normal speeds. Another suggestion you could try before you remove the heatsink is if your fan screws into the heatsink then you could try getting a q tip or something to try cleaning in between the fins on the heatsink. Also check your bios for settings adjustment to shut down your system when cpu reaches a certain temperature not all bios have those options though.

I would suggest what has been mentioned above as well. Cleaning the chip and reapplying thermal compound can't hurt and upgrading to an aftermarket cpu fan can make all the difference. Sometimes the retail stock heatsinks are just horrible. It isn't uncommon to see a 10 deg cel. drop with a new cpu heatsink/fan. Don't forget to check your case fans...make sure they flow correctly (front to back and bottom to top) and are working. Good Luck

check your hard drive - is the loud noise happen when you fresh start your comp meaning like overnight rest then turn it on again-- try defraging, chkdskif its randomly locks up try checking your ram sticks your fan and powersupply.do you hear beeping sounds? they are clues on what your problem is.you can check if overheating is the problem by cooling the cpu then turn it on and if it stuck on the same duration then maybe this is it.try removing the case of the cpu

I might be wrong (it has happened before), but it seems my CPU is overheating. When running Speedfan the CPU temp rises to appox 59 degrees celcius. At this stage my PC locks up and there is a loud continous noise.
I have removed alot of the dust from around the CPU fan, this did seem to bring the temps down a bit, but it recently crashed again.

Firstly am i right about this being the problem??

Secondly what can I do about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My PC is a little on the old side now....

the Problem is the design,

When the Intel invented its 4th generation processer, they thought that speed is better, so people bought the new cpu because of its speed, but its heat was a problem and was written on its spec, but never addressed untill they invented the pentium dual-core processer, That processer was better at speed and at heat because of what it was made out of and the heating and colling fratures. You should either upgrade your processer or buy the new thermal water cooling system using water to cool the cpu down and fans. Going at 6000 rpm thats some cost but it would prevent a over heat. and thats in turn will help you out a lot, better than what your can get by cleaning dust and others things, also depending on who clap the inside of your hard drive you should get a lot of fans on the inside as well as some more ram if its slow. But in turn the colling system you have on your computer is bad or not working, i have a computer like that and i fixed it up with a 5 fan system for the most heat generating items and more fans blowing air into the hard drive as well as a better cooling system, water heats up the slowest so its the ideal thing to use for a cooling system and some more fans arcound the computer will also help to despence the heat.

the Problem is the design,
When the Intel invented its 4th generation processer, they thought that speed is better, so people bought the new cpu because of its speed, but its heat was a problem and was written on its spec, but never addressed untill they invented the pentium dual-core processer, That processer was better at speed and at heat because of what it was made out of and the heating and colling fratures. You should either upgrade your processer or buy the new thermal water cooling system using water to cool the cpu down and fans. Going at 6000 rpm thats some cost but it would prevent a over heat. and thats in turn will help you out a lot, better than what your can get by cleaning dust and others things, also depending on who clap the inside of your hard drive you should get a lot of fans on the inside as well as some more ram if its slow. But in turn the colling system you have on your computer is bad or not working, i have a computer like that and i fixed it up with a 5 fan system for the most heat generating items and more fans blowing air into the hard drive as well as a better cooling system, water heats up the slowest so its the ideal thing to use for a cooling system and some more fans arcound the computer will also help to despence the heat.

Personaly i don't care for Intel, I'm an AMD fan. i have never had any over heating problems with AMD, if i were you i would think about getting a new motherboard, then get a dual core amd, you will be much happier trust me, i just recently upgraded my AMD Athalon 64 to a AMD Athalon 64 x2 i am much happier with the performance that i get out of the computer, plus you can over clock the computer more and play faster games.

Ya... the history tells me that these systems are like that. The best thing to do is to chuck it and get a new system (I still have few more things in my mind... So that would be a bad recommendation...)

what will i do if i were you?

Keep my cabinet open and let the air flow through it. I will also go forward and have a small table fan next to it.

Even if this does not help and it still gets enough heat... I would really really recommend the first option given by me.

FOR FUN -- Keep it next to a fountain... That might help :).

I put arctic silver on my p4 3.4ghz laptop and kissed the heating problems goodbye. You really have to clean the fan ducts though, get some compressed air and blow the dust out of them. 59 C really isnt that bad, I think the p4 shuts down at 65C, it really depends on what you have it set to in the bios I think..

I've got a 4th Generation Pentium, that is Celeron... It's main speed is 2.0GHz, but I overclocked it to 2.6GHz... I increased Vcore voltage from 1.55V to 1.70V... In these circumstances, in hot summer temperatures (which are now, and are about 35 degrees Celsius), my CPU never exceeds 60 degrees Celsius, under 100% load... And, I use the stock fan I got with the CPU... Soooo, there must be something wrong with your system, probably the fan has reached the end of it's life...I put two 40mm fans in the front, to extract hot air from 2 HDDs that are located right there, I have 1 80mm fan extracting hot air from my GFX card, I put a 40mm fan on GPU, since it originaly came only with a heatsink, and I have 1 80mm fan extracting hot air from my CPU... No fans are blowing air inside, just extracting hot air from the inside... Case is of course open at all times, but not for heat, bu because I just like it open... To be able to mess with anything right off...I'd check a fan, probably it's ball bearings are shot...

@majklisko

i would throw the pentium 4 away and buy another one...for example one of the core 2 duo...nowadays they are quite cheap and the performance is uncomparable

Core 2 Duo aren't very expensive , with a fast search on google you can see that his motherboard has a 478 socket that means that it doesn't support core 2 duo .

@master_ninja

There's no point to ask you whether your CPU is overclocked or not . If the answer is no , than you should change the cooler .