xisto Community
gaea

Feedback On Webdesign ( Political Art Video Gallery )

Hello everyone,

After a few months of work my new sitedesign is up. The page is mostly just a showcase for some Political Art I've been doing. I'm pretty excited about my new design.

Although it isn't as "professional" as some of the other work i've done in the past, I wanted something more personal and artistic. Any feedback/criticism/comments you have would be much appreciated.

-- Paolo Unger Dvorchik

P.S. The artwork itself is still being updated, so don't worry about discussing that quite yet (unless you can't hold yourself back ;P). I'll ask for critiques on it in a few months when things are more cohesive.

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

I like the design, especially the menu across the top of the page. I've never seen something like that done before and it looks great.

One issue I have with your site is that it doesn't validate. It's important to make sure your code validates so that most browsers display it correctly.

However, more fundamentally is that the code makes little sense. You have (or rather, it appears ImageReady has) used tables for the layout of your page. A table is meant for tabular data, not for laying out a page. Despite being totally wrong, it also means your site can display very differently in different browsers.

Thank you for your feed back rvalkass.The page now validates, and I've switched as many things over to divs as possible (Joomla still includes some tables...but that's beyond my control). The code should be *exceedingly* easy to follow now.Any further suggestions? Those two were most helpful.

Edited by gaea (see edit history)

Thank you for your feed back rvalkass.
The page now validates, and I've switched as many things over to divs as possible (Joomla still includes some tables...but that's beyond my control). The code should be *exceedingly* easy to follow now.

The code is a lot cleaner and simpler now, but I don't understand why Joomla uses tables for layout... As you say, that is out of your control, so I can't complain about that :) Excellent work getting the validation done. Your site should now display in all browsers correctly. However, the Flash videos still cause some validation errors. Again, that may be down to how Joomla puts Flash into pages, but it might be worth taking a look to see if you can fix them.

Any further suggestions? Those two were most helpful.

Get rid of the very small amount of side scrolling ;) On my screen (1280x800) there is a horizontal scrollbar displayed, but it only moves a few pixels. This could be down to something being slightly too wide (often to fix IE) pushing the page to be wider than the screen. It doesn't affect the content in any way, its just slightly annoying.

Overall, excellent work and good luck with your website :lol:

Get rid of the extra space below the text.Think about adding a footer to add professionalism to the site. Justsomething like copyright, last updated etc.If you can make yo0ur own favicon instead of Joomlas for the added touch. Otherwise its a pretty dark, clean website. goodwork and good use of cms

I like it - simple design and quick loading times!Perhaps you could change how the text is organised, I can't read text for a long time without getting bored, perhaps organise it into blocks or put it into a text box?I've added it to my favorates, i'll be checking back sometime to look at that art work :D