xisto Community
roooss

Game Dev Team Aim: to get a team together to develop an fps with scope to go mmo

Hey i'm new to these forums and i was just wandering if there are any guys or gals out there who wanna start making an fps in their spare time as part of a team.idealy i would love the project to get to the point of mmo but hey! and im easy on the dev language and any engines that may be used, getting a few people together to discuss would be great!

If you need help / advice let me know. I have written a Quake 3 clone in Java for a class last semester with a group of 7 people. It is a client server multiplayer game. The issue with what you want to do is that you are unable to actually meet with the people you are working with a plan out the structure of your progam since if you do not plan well, there will be a point you are unable to work on the game since nothing is able to communicate and work together. Good luck but plan first and then program even if it means you have to do it yourself.

cheers! id love to get in touch with you about how you went about designing your clone. for instance how did you work out the class structure and other things like that. a quake clone is exactly what i want to make to be honest! can you please get in touch with a few pointers on how to start the technical designing, i have already created a game design document its just putting that into concept that im finding hard

Well, unfortunately I have my own Game Team to worry about right now, so I'm unable to work with you directly. However, I can help you start thinking about what you may want to use. The simplest way would probably be to use FPS Creator, although I've not actually used it myself so I don't know how great it actually is. If you want to actually program it, you can start with an existing engine. You can use the Quake 2 and 3 engines for free from idSoftware so long as you comply to the GPL license. (It's about $10,000 otherwise, I believe). Then there is also the Cube and Cube2(Saurbraten) engines that are also available under GPL.