xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  

A Free Rts?

I have tried out one called Glest that is alright. I don't particularly like it as much as something like Age of Mythology, but it is decent. You might like it. You can find it on Sourceforge.

A simple google/yahoo search provides some good results. I have no idea about these - but it's a good place to start.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Free RTS games are rare, because unlike a lot of other genres of games, RTS is very difficult to develop for. First - you've got (a lot) of different effects, different rules for different units, different ways of doing things - sea, land, air, and getting all these elements to mix, for example. You've got to make an AI that has to be advanced otherwise you might as well just skip it, hence is very difficult to do.

I won't even go into stable networking or epically balancing issues. You need quite a few players who play different styles and a lot of time to invest. Most games aren't this hard. For comparison - the platformer - you just have some blocks/land, some basic enemies, some items, and put them everywhere. FPS - code one "bot", do some landscaping and models and your done.