xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GrinningKittie

How To Tie A Sarong So many looks for just one item

What is a Sarong?
Think of all those Greeks/Romans you read about in mythology and imagine their robes. Toga is what they called it. Or imagine someone from a hot climate ( say Africa or Sri Lanka) wearing those multi-colored wraps and robes. In the U.S. you are most likely to see a sarong tied about the hips of a sun going beach bunny and she probably refers to it as a swimsuit wrap. The word itself apparently is Malaysian for "sheath" or " cover".
All in all no matter what you call it, it is a large rectangular piece of cloth.
I own a few actually and have never figured out how to wear them in any other style than make shift skirt. A friend of mine is from Grenada and was going on about her gorgeous collection. I told her my dilemma and she asked me "are you kidding?!" so I kindly pointed her towards the window which showed a grey overcast day ( normal weather here in WA state ) and asked her "can you see WHY I don't wear sarongs that often?" LOL! We both laughed and she said she would help me figure it out.
Well things have been busy so we have na been able to connect up lately and I got bored so I went online to see if I could self educate on this mysterious piece of material.
I never realized how many different ways you could wear a sarong ( as I write this I tied mine up into a "butterfly jacket" and boy is it COZY)!

So here are a few examples. I'll give you a shoddy diagram of a sarong ( big rectangular piece of cloth).

A -----------B--------------C I							I I							ID I----------E--------------F

The corners and middle are labeled so you know where to fold.

Lovely Butterfly Jacket ( oh so comfy!)

1 - So sarong is in back ( open in front) take corners A and C and place them at shoulders.
2 - Now tie A & D together forming a knot
3 - Now tie C & F together forming a knot.
Your arms will be through these really loose sleeves. You do na have to tighten the knots so that the "jacket " is form fitting or anything. This is a loose style that will also sort of drape over your rear like a sling. VERY comfy ( and looks cute too).

I also learned how to tie my sarong as a turban as well as a few dressy ideas too. I canna WAIT until payday! I even found this site where you can get sarongs for as low as 6.99 ( u.s. currency).

If you are interested in learning more about how to tie them ( and /or purchase for cheap) lemme know and I will glady show you the sites. The diagrams and instructions are VERY easy!

Notice from truefusion:
Code bbcode helps with alignment.

My bad. Disregard the I's. My diagram didna come out how I thought it would.Basically you wear the sarong over your shoulders ( length wise) so that corners A and C are on your shoulders. Then you tie corner A to corner D. Tie corner C to corner F. Your arms should go through ( or already be through) the two "sleeve" like holes that are produced from tying up the corners.In essence you are wearing a loose jacket ( that also slings a bit around your behind too kinda like a sitting hammock).I absolutely love this style as it keeps me warm and is loose as well as comfy.Heck I'm wearing it right now in fact. LOL!I hope this helped some.