xisto Community
ezawa

Pc Doesn't Boot After Installing New Cpu

i have a old computer that i was messing around with, a windows ME, and the processor is a pentium 3 i had another pc that had a better cpu but when after i installed it the pc stays at the hp screen and the os doesn't boot. I even put the old cpu back in and the same thing happens. i think i may have bumped the graphics card more than i should have but i don't know does anybody know what the problem could be?? thanks

I'm assuming you have experience in installing a CPU, in that you had yourself adequetly grounded (best method is to tie a wire around your wrist and attach it to the case), and you placed it in carefully, not forcing it. I'm also assuming that you locked it in there too. I don't think bumping the video card would give you this problem as the video card has to be functioning to give you any type of screen. It may be possible the CPU broke or isn't installed correctly, or maybe something else went wrong. Are there any errors at all? Was the CPU you tried installing proven to be working before the installation? Are the CPU's the same type?

yeah i did all of the correct procedure the only thing i'm not for sure of is if the other cpu was working but should it matter if i reinstalled my original cpu?so if the pc boots to the hp logo that means that the video card is working?because all i see is the hp logo... i can't think of anything else that could have happened

Yea, the HP logo means the GPU is working, and I couldn't imagine that the CPU could really be bad if it boots anything at all, the CPU does all the thinking so if it does any processing the CPU should be good. Maybe you bumped a power wire to your harddrive or you might have pressed too hard on the motherboard and cracked it. Does it give any warnings at all? Can you give us a picture of what the screen looks like when it doesn't do anything at all? How long do you wait for it to boot before you give up on it?

maybe i bumped a power wire becuase there isn't much room in the case and the heatsink on the cpu was this clip type thing where you have to push down and push out on it to unhook so i could have cracked the motherboard but i dont thing i did. there aren't any warnings it sits at a hp logo for about 10 minutes then i give up

Posted Image

thats the picture

I'm afraid I can't think of anything else that could have gone wrong. You can try installing the CPU's in another PC to test if it's the CPU, but other than that, I can't really think of what to do. Can you get pictures of the inside of your computer so I can see what's going on in there? And as for boot up, your screen just goes from black and straight to the hp image? nothing else? no text?

yeah there isn;t anything it immediately goes to the hp screen... i dont have a digital camera so i dont think i could get pictures thanks for the help though. when i get time ill take it apart and re assemble everything so i can be sure its not power or cable connections

Obviously, your video card works.Can you get into the BIOS?Does your computer beep in a sequence when you try to start it, or does it simply freeze?Does it even go through POST?Have you checked your processor to see if you bent any pins?

Your PC doesn't have any critical problem.Try pressing the Escape key at the hp screen, maybe there is some kind of description.Your Issue can be,1) Keyboard error,2) Bad or improperly connected Hard drive.