xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jopak134

Hard Drive Or Video Card? i am on a tight budget on my laptop and need advice

i am on a tight budget on my laptop because its a little bit of short notice. ( my motherboard is on its last days and no other self repair can be done.and also this not to advice me perse but to my parents who chooses the hard drive readily without thinking about it and this stops the buying process :P if i choose the hard drive, it will be a 250gb and an additional 2 usb sticks 1 gb each, fingerprint protection, and i think the last one is a gps locator( i'm not sure about this one) its a package and if you think of the price it's too cheap to be true.the other one is just the latest gefore card with only 120 gb and no others but a less than 100-200$.the only thing this will do is doing homework,photoshop programs like photoshop ^_^ . maybe a few online games, some console emulators with their roms and a little something for my backup console games. and maybe just maybe new 3rd shooter games like cs:s and maybe cod4.so what do you think?oh and also the one with the 250 gb has all parts built in so no use for upgrading( this one of my idea first but they told me i can't) and the other one you can.

Sorry, but your hardware choices makes no sense. :P

This is what I figured from what you posted:

- Choice 1: 250GB prefabricated HD + 2 1GB USB sticks (one has fingerprint protection and the other is a GPS locator)

- Choice 2: the latest NVIDIA GEForce card with a 120GB HD internal hard drive with enclosure

If all you will be doing is homework, image manipulation, and occasional gaming, I would go with the first choice, just because you can always use the space, especially if you will be doing a lot of image manipulation. (Photoshop requires quite a bit of scratch disk space.) However, if you want to be playing games like COD4, you might need to upgrade that video card, and 120GB is not much compared to what you can get nowadays, but it's still an ample amount.

You need to actually figure out what games you can play well on your computer before even upgrading. Also, links to the hardware would be nice so we know what exactly you are talking about. ^_^

I can play COD4 at a decent frame rate on my laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 w/ 256MB VRAM with all options turned off, so even if you do have an older video card, you may still be able to play the game. For newer games with poorly-designed graphic engines or heavy use of light/blooming effects, etc., you may want to look at that video card. From my standpoint, the video card + 120GB HD is hands-down the best choice. Then again, I can afford to buy another HD if I need one. :D

Addendum:

As a reference, this is the latest GEForce video card. If that's the case, GET THE VIDEO CARD. :P

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

Well I think rayzoredge post cleared up your post, and so I would go with the NVIDIA GEForce card, and then find out through the manufacturer what other hard drives are available to replace the 120GB. The reason I would go with this was is that you cannot replace the gfx card in a laptop, unless it burns out and you have to get the laptop completely refurbished in some way. Of course you don't mention the geforce model, and so that might determine what games you can and cannot play, and also depending if this laptop is brand new or slightly used as well. Besides do you really need fingerprint protection on a computer that you will be using at home? GPS maybe, but the finger print is a bit of an overkill for home use.