xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
~Upnorf Cr3w~

I Have A Dodgy Back... Need Some Tips Please.

I hurt my back a few weeks ago and it seems to be easing up a little now. Ive just been resting and it seems to work for it. It's my lower back and i was just thinking if anyone had any tips for sleeping or how to keep it loose so it don't go stiff again. Thanks

I have something called ankylosing spondylitis which means part of my back and hip is fused together, automatically you think click it DO NOT CLICK YOUR BACK. It is actually the main cause of ankylosing spondylitis in men.The best and only thing you can do is to hang from something, by your arms or leg it doesn't matte it frees up the vertical column, allowing the body to work in the "damaged" area for some time.For the mean time I recommend co-codomal (it can be bought over the counter but that stuff is for pussies go see your doctor ask him to prescribe it) don't relax, keep active.When i say don't relax i mean don't slumber in a chair. The sleeping thing, I had to buy a special mattress (thanks to the guys at NASS i am eternally great full) but for the mean time your best bet is to lay flat, hard to do if you sleep on your side like i do, but it can be done. All in all, enjoy the laughs that people will have at you cause they are funny! and keep active.Hoping you get better soonKarlos

Well when I had my back problems I was on a hard wood floor with a heating pad a few hours a day, that help somewhat, just because I herniated a disk before that. Of course, I pump in enough advil in my for 8 months I could have OD 10 people. However, you didn't mention if you went to get an xray or MRI done on your back, as that is usually the first thing you want to do. Also, visit a Chiropractor to unkink your back as well.

Thanks for the replys. I didn't go to the hospital or anything as im not good with them sort of things. I juts prefere to get on with it. Does a chiropractor cost alot of money ? That might be a option. Altho it does feel like its getting better each day. Then after a few months it will come back. I got some dihydrocodeine from my missus as she used it at one point in her life when she had some pain problems. My mate said there really strong and they will fix it ??? It's done ok for now. Also i have a special red heat lamp any ideas on this as ive used it a few times and it warms your muscle up.

Chiropractors vary in prices, however, if you have health insurance, and chiropractors are covered, then your fee's will be reduce. Your best bet is to call around local chiropractor's and see what they change, what insurance they accept and stuff like that. Actually you shouldn't even be taking someone elses drugs, that is why you need to go to see a hospital regardless if you think they going to cut out an organ while your sleeping. As for the drug itself no idea, not much for drug names and stuff like that. From what I know direct heat is a lot better then indirect heat, because of the fact the heat would spread out and not concentrate on that specific area. You can also try sitting in a hot tube for about 30-45 minutes that will really loosen your muscles up.

I am glad it seems to be easing up some. To help it out gentle stretching is often a good place to start. As you improve, you can go with better core strengthening with Pilates, yoga or exercises. They may be the best thing to keep it from coming back. Of course without knowing exactly what the problem is, it is hard to say if it will come back. Statistically, about 80 of adults have back pain at some time, so odds are it may return.

well its gone now and there is no pain at this moment,But it did this last time it went away and then cam back after a few months. It will probably do it again. Like you say if i dont know what it is then i cant do alot about it. Maybe next time i go see a doctor. Thanks for all the help

Well... I imagine that this would probably help. I would recommend that you try to sit up as straight as possible when you are sitting in a chair. It puts far less strain on your back.If your not in a chair, it can be hard to sit up straight by try to anyways.

Go see a chiropractor for god's sake! They don't cost that much and you'll not regret it. See one who's been in practice for at least a few years and has established himself. Word of mouth advertising is best. Get recommendations from friends, don't just let your fingers do the walking. Just because someone can afford a full page ad in the phone book doesn't make him qualified to work on your back. Good luck!

Firstly, Yes!! Go see a choripractor! The one my mother trusts uses an x-ray machine for an initial look at the problem before making any blanket prognosies or begining work on an unfamiliar unhealthy back. At least as I recall he does, it has been years.

Secondly, You need to find good instruction or literature about non-harmful stretches and good posture. For non-harmful stretches I recomend a book called Surviving Exercise I think it's by Judy Adler. For good posture the only book I know of is Exercise Without Exercising Its an oldie and hard to plow through but good posture is important for keeping your muscles in condition to keep your spine in line, if that is your particular problem. A neighbor of mine with chronic bad back pain due to a real medical problem in her spine after using the stretches in Surviving Exercise that were specificly for properly stretching the back experienced a significant reduction in her back pain.

So get your problem checked out and fixed and then do what you need to to keep it from becoming a problem again.