xisto Community
EngrJayze

Had You Tried Firefox 3 Beta 5? What can you say?

i recently stumbled on lifehacker's guide to firefox 3 beta 5: Lifehacker's Guide to FF3BETA5

i am courageous enough to ditch my firefox 2 installation and installed the latest beta as my default browser..
here is the guide to remove firefox 2 completely so that you can start a fresh installation of the beta 5 : Uninstalling_Firefox

now that i have completely installed the beta - i am deeply satisfied by the new features.. they said that the official release of firefox 3 is on june 2008 but i just can't wait to experience the new features this browser has to offer..
i really love the new interface, especially the navigation bar, it's more colorful yet powerful because it remembers and learns from your browsing history..
the smart bookmarks is also awesome.. they added a Smart Tag system so that you can organize your bookmarks properly..
you can now also zoom the whole page [not just the text] with this beta release..
memory leaks are also minimized - that's why i used it instead of firefox 2..

there are some minor glitches but i can manage them now..
try it and post your comments..

this is the complete release notes and features list of ff3beta5 : Release Notes

also check out this browser performance review at cybernetnews.com : cybernotes-browser-performance-comparisons

for fun read this article on the beta's hidden easter egg: firefox-3-beta-5-easter-egg

I am using Beta 5 right now, and I love it. It is splended :P However, it takes long for FireFox to start and it crashes a lot.Hope Mozilla can fix these problems :P One thing is for sure though, Firefox beats Internet Explorer( Sorry is I sound rude but fact is fact ^_^).

Been a Firefox fan since the first release, and funny enough, I remember the slow and gradual migration over to FF2 after trying out the beta.I recently snagged FF3B5 and so far, it's all right. I miss the history arrow for both the back and forward buttons, but everything else seems to be an improvement. :P Apparently it's completely rebuilt onto a different development platform (Gecko or something like that), so I hope that it fixes some common issues with FF, especially the memory leak issue. Right now, with 10 tabs open at the moment, FF is sucking 164MB. Hasn't crashed on me though, and I didn't really notice if it actually loads any quicker yet. StumbleUpon is my only extension... since nothing else works yet.Just keep in mind that this is still Beta 5. :P Nothing revolutionary that I've noticed, which kind of makes me want to give other browsers like Safari and Opera a try to give them a fair chance before proclaiming browser superiority. ^_^ (Internet Explorer 7, on the other hand, needs no try-out... hehe. I wonder what IE8 has to bring to the table?)

Yeah I been enjoy beta 5 to, as it seems a lot cleaner, and yeah I agree that firefox likes to freeze, and then close out on m. Funny though all the beta's did this when I was checking my email account on yahoo. As I select a message it would error out and close on me. Of course I sometimes have complete freezes when I open a new bad, but besides those few hiccups I have enjoy the speed. Have to say that it is just as fast if not faster then safari.

I've been using Firefox 3, beta 5, here and there, and haven't noticed any crashing or freezing for the time i've been using it. Firefox 3 seems to be the new default browser in Ubuntu 8.04. It does load slightly faster than Firefox 2, and i'm glad that it supports more CSS. But Opera will always be my number one favorite browser.

I'll be honestI didn't actually even know a Firefox 3 was out in Beta yet XDIt seems like just yesterday Firefox 2 was in Beta D:AnywayI downloaded it as soon as I read this thread here,I haven't really gone through using it much yet though,mostly because I'm too lazy to transfer all my bookmarks over.AnywayI'll look at it a bit more in a little while,So I'll expand on this post after I go through it a bit and make a formal opinion(If I remember)

If you have the updated version of Firefox 3 beta 5, it supports most plug-ins that were made for version 2 ^_^P.S. I've heard that they are alredy in the making of Mozilla Firefox 4 :P

Before I was using IE when I was still in highschool, but when I went to college, one of my classmate told me that I should use firefox bcoz its the best.. and now.. im using and its my favorite and #1 browser...I havent tried beta 5 coz Its in beta mode yet... i'll wait for the stable release

glad to hear your comments..
I've heard that they are releasing firefox 3 as stable on june..if you are like me that can't wait, you can have most of the features now by trying the beta..
you can have compatible addons by searching through the programs addon manager directly.. if you want to use unsupported addons - try Nightly Tester Tools
for those who don't want to mess with the current firefox installation you can download the beta's portable edition.. it like the original but you can install it to a folder - without affecting your current browser..: firefox_portable

so far so good, i never had any glitch with my current installation..and i'm 100% glad i tried it..

Really like Firefox 3 Beta 5.All the icons are very fancy, plus the browser itself seems to be a lot faster than any other browser I use. Haven't found many bugs with it, but I'm sure all the bugs that other people have found will be ironed out before the full release ^_^