xisto Community
disneyreporter

Advise For Soon To Be College Students What to expect

Hi there,I'm in my sophomore year of high school, and college is right around the corner. To tell you the truth, I'm scared. I've never been away from home for an extended period amount of time, and therefore, I don't know what to expect when it comes to college life. Does anyone have any advice for a person like me on how to cope with my new surroundings and if this frightened feeling will go away?

there is nothing to worry about being in college. Its pure fun. a small bit of suggestion from me... Do not make friends in the first few days. Try to be yourself and be good to all an you will make good friends.And try to maximize everything you do in college.. i mean fun, purpose, activities etc etc.Have fun.

college life is not bad after all...on the contrary, it will be the best part of your student life.. i can attest to that because i'm on fourth year college now.. you'll realize that once you step out of high school..choose your friends wisely because they will be with you for 4 or more years to come.. enjoy their company and help one another...during quizzes, exams lol.. good luck

The most important things is to make friends and choose your good friends wisely. These friends will help you feel less lonely and afraid away from home. They will be good company for you but should also ensure that you are there for what you mean to; to complete your studies and get good results, not to have fun and do badly. You should also probably try to join more clubs and activities in school to have a more active social life. It should also keep you from straying and indulging in non-school activities that cause you to stray from your academic life.

Thank you for the advice. I feel a little bit better now. I personally feel they put to much pressure on high school students when it comes to college. They make you feel like the decision you make will decide the remainder of your life. Is this true? I think that is what scares most people. Now, when it comes to choosing a college, is it in your best interest to pick the most exceptional one you can get in to? I'm interested in going to MIT or Princeton, but at a school like that, I'd just fit in. I'm not sure if that is better for me or if choosing a lower school where I would excel more amongst the students looks better. Upon getting a college degree, do businesses look at what college you attended and base their decision for who will get the job on that, or do they only look at whether or not you have a degree?

They do look at what college or university you attended. But going to Princeton or MIT doesn't ensure that you'll get the best education (although it is a pretty good bet that you'll get a good one at least). There are a lot of other universities that are just as good, if less well known, but a lot cheaper and probably not as stressful. There are actually a lot of state universities that are on par with Princeton and other Ivy League schools. If you do a search for "Public Ivies" you can find more information about them. Greene's list is particularly good as it's focus is entirely on comparing the academic rigor of the universities.

Well im staying in 6th form bt don't worry, i love staying on my own or with friends , there is hardly any stress and no stupid rules to pretend to follow : D its pure fun as was said above, of course im going to 6th form then uni but its the same dif between me staying here cos io hate holidays with my family

They make you feel like the decision you make will decide the remainder of your life. Is this true?

in a nutshell yes... it wont neccicarily affect your life but it probably will, but im talking about grades, i plan to do a course in computer science @ uni , after that i plan to get a job in whatever whilst steadily building my portfolio in web design and building pc's/laptops , then I plan on becoming self emplyed as a web desiner and webmaster etc.
Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

The topic starter's concerns are well-founded, as the decision on if, where or when to go to college will, in fact, impact the rest of his life. If the pressure put on high school students scares off some of the fray from the prospect, they were probably not good college candidates to start with. Have you ever noticed how job applications make the work sound much more foreboding than it actually is? They do this on purpose to weed out the underachievers.

I can't stress enough how important it is to pursue a college education before getting bogged down with the demands of everyday mundane life. Obviously there are exceptions, but generally, young people who start having families or pursuing careers right out of high school to forgo the four-year college degree earn significantly less than their degreed counterparts. But it's not just the money. The educated live richer, happier lives. So don't be intimidated by college. Just do it. Your choice of college is an entirely personal and contigent on finances, academic pursuit and location. I chose to live at home and commute to a Jesuit university, thereby saving myself the expense and hassle of renting a dorm. No thanks. I'm sure others of a less introverted nature will disagree, but I see no benefit to doling out large sums of cash for the "experience" of shacking up with a flatulent student in a crowded dorm room, listening to his idea of "music" or sharing his idea of "food" for four hellish years. There's a time and place for that, and it's called the post-college European (preferably drunken) vacation.

My observation has been that employers are more interested in the degree and the fact a candidate actually has one than where he went to college. Although, students should definitely avoid bogus operations with no physical location. I personally favor the Jesuit universities for their focus on a classical, liberal arts education. The first universities were Jesuit, so historically they do have a head start on their Protestant/secular counterparts. I suggest high school students talk with parents about the possibility of staying at home and commuting to University, or looking into scholarships that will finance their education elsewhere. Either way, it's never too early to start planning. Get together with your high school counselor and ensure you're taking all the college prerequisites for your chosen degree/university, then apply for every scholarship you can get your greedy little hands on.

Thank you for your help. I feel much better now. I've noticed that a lot lately in my honors and AP classes. They seem to make the class out to be much scarier and harder than it actually is. I agree that this is good in some cases to weed out those who are not fit for the class, but other times, it weeds out the ones who should be in the class because they get so nervious ahead of time without getting the chance the even experience the class. I personally wouldn't mind staying at home and commuting to college, but my family and friends have told me that living at college is part of the experience, and it helps you get used to the idea of living away from your family once you get married. I guess I still have two more years to worry about this. As far as traveling around to look at colleges, what are some important aspects to look at to help make your final decision of which college to attend?

You are to be commended for planning ahead for your future. I didn't have that kind of foresight at your age, and only went to college because my mother forced me. That, and I got a scholarship she wasn't going to let me waste (thank God for parents). You make a good point about recruitment scare tactics: they can certainly weed out a few diamonds along with the rough. I remember being put off from pursuing medicine because of the math and science prerequisites of one of the colleges I was considering. But I was no diamond, and in my case the warning was a good thing, as I do in fact have poor math aptitude and simply don't excel at detail oriented pursuits. I would have made a lousy surgeon. Heck - I faint at the sight of blood.Your decision on whether to commute to school or relocate and live on campus is entirely contingent on your unique needs and personality. Are you an introvert who thrives on your own company, preferring to curl up with a good book than hang out with a group of cackling friends? Do you focus better on your studies in your own, private space, or does the presence of other students inspire you to forge ahead intellectually? Now is the time to be completely honest with yourself. If you're an introvert, there's really no good reason to throw yourself into a living situation that may deflect from your studies, cause you much frustration, and bleed your bank account dry. You can still get the complete "college experience" sans dorm room. As someone who went to college without living on campus, I can attest to this fact. I had no problems transitioning from school, to work, and finally moving out of the home into my own place. And I saved myself a ton of money in the process. Nowadays, staying at home well beyond college is becoming a viable alternative for many as cost of living skyrockets. Still, the young are incredibly resilient, so you will no doubt adapt to whatever situation you choose.I'm afraid my advice on scoping out colleges is biased, as I will always recommend Jesuit universities for their long, illustrious history in shaping education as we now know it. If you don't have the opportunity to check one out, it will come down to who offers the best curriculum for your needs. Generally, a private college will offer a superior education with smaller class sizes and better teachers. Keep in mind that public schools receive much of their funding from the state. As a result, their courses (and professors) are often a reflection of the government's agenda at any given time. You're on the right track. Now stay the course.

I agree. APs and honors aren't that bad at all.You will grow more confident as the years go by. Don't worry about it :) Right now you goal should be just to enjoy the rest of high school while keeping good grades and attitude.College isn't that big a deal for me. I always feel like I have a responsibility to take care of my self and siblings for sometime even before high school.If everybody can do it, you can do it!

when you know which friends come to you in the same class, try to friend good friend, smart one might be good to help with your studies, but choose a friend that can have lots of friends, by doing so you open your way through many relationships. That will help you a lot whether in your studies and career. Try to do many activities in college, as helping college it will also helps you.

Hi, you don't need to worry for anything, going to college will be a fun! For people who have not been away from home for extended periods, it may be a little bit time taking but you will get accustomed to the new life. Be sure to carry whatever you need for your stay, secondly be choosy about friends.Good company is as important as good college. Do not believe people in first go, take your time and try to make good friends.All else, the aim is to study, so do not get involved in other useless things on behalf of you or anyone else for that matter.Leave worries, get a take off to your future..All the best.