xisto Community
coolcat50

Remote Shutdown Windows Computers

Ok, this tutorial is designed to teach you how to remotely shutdown a Windows computer on a Local Area Network. I have not been able to test this on wireless and successfully do it, but it will work on computers connected to a LAN. Well here is how to do it.

1.Open Command Prompt on the computer you wish to shutdown from. Press Win + R and type in cmd or command.

2.Type in ipconfig on the computer you wish to shut down. If you know the IP address of the computer you wish to shutdown go to Step 4.

3.Get the IP address from the computer.

4.Go to the computer you wish to shutdown from.

5.Type in the following command.

CONSOLE

shutdown -m \\IP HERE -t TIME IN SECONDS HERE -c MESSAGE HERE -s

If you see a box on the computer you wish to shutdown you did it successfully.

To abort simply type in:

CONSOLE

shutdown -m \\IP HERE -a

Congrats on remotely shutting down your computer.

Yes. I have actually tested this. This is actually can be used to exploit a security hole in my school system's network. They obviously didn't know how easy it would be to get all the computer names and use this command.

thank you for this.. will be useful on my schools computer network..btw have you tried this over the internet? i mean have you managed to shutdown other computers that are not part of the local network?

Sorry, I have only successfully shutdown local computers. I think it won't let you do it through the Internet, because that would be a huge security hole.

If you dont know the ip address of a computer and are on a windows network, you can also use the Computer Management console. To do this you will need to be an administrator on the network / computer. To get there, go to programs, administrative tools and right click on management console. Select run as and enter the credentials of the administrator. If you look on the left side of the management console, it will say local computer. Just right click on that and select "connect to another computer". Enter the computer name or ip address and it will bring it up in the console. This will allow you to start, stop and restart services as well as restart and shutdown computers remotely. They have numerous options about restarting remotely as in only restart if the computer is idle, etc.

how to shutdown lan computersRemote ShutdownShutdown -m IP HERE -t TIME IN SECONDS HERE -c MESSAGE HERE -sWhen I use this command it said "access denied"

Chances are you weren't logged in as an administrator on the computer you were trying to perform the operation from. Command Prompt has various things that are disallowed on certain level accounts, and I don't doubt that remote shutdown is one of them.

This requires tweaking in vista but it works eventually xD Very nice for turning peoples computers off if they annoy you on MSN accumpanied with a netstat. Theres a batch file that does it also but it cant be stopped which may be good for school (if your network admin are stupid and allow .bat (like mine)).

i've ever try it but in from linux to linux machine... i don't know if it would work in windows, especially when the target computer's firewall is turned on.. note: when i've tried at linux, i also should know the superuser's pass...

I'm pretty sure that it would be the same on wireless, but also I think that many people would use something like logmein becuaee it is much more graphical than command line, so more people would be comfortable. But for people who don't want to install any hefty software, this would be a great way.

Hey WOW dude you gave me a new prank to play at my colleges computer LabYou are really good dude.. I tried and tested this at my uncle's office and it succeeded in the process....Thanks 1ce again dude...

Ok, this tutorial is designed to teach you how to remotely shutdown a Windows computer on a Local Area Network. I have not been able to test this on wireless and successfully do it, but it will work on computers connected to a LAN. Well here is how to do it.

1.Open Command Prompt on the computer you wish to shutdown from. Press Win + R and type in cmd or command.

2.Type in ipconfig on the computer you wish to shut down. If you know the IP address of the computer you wish to shutdown go to Step 4.

3.Get the IP address from the computer.

4.Go to the computer you wish to shutdown from.

5.Type in the following command.

CONSOLE

shutdown -m \\IP HERE -t TIME IN SECONDS HERE -c MESSAGE HERE -s

If you see a box on the computer you wish to shutdown you did it successfully.

To abort simply type in:

CONSOLE

shutdown -m \\IP HERE -a

Congrats on remotely shutting down your computer.

I did step 5 but no shutdown message.

It does not do anything I am running Windows XP service pack3 on all computer. and I am using router as mokrotik.