xisto Community
kobra500

Gmx Mail

I recently was looking through free online emails and I came across GMX mail, I know its not unheard of but ive noticed it is very good, better than hotmail and gmail i would say, I especially like the mail sorter. my only concern is the load time and using hotmail im not too fussed, apart from that this is a brilliant email program which runs online and give simular features too email desktop programs but with a web based interface

I read about GMX mail service in March from one of those PC magazines. I was impressed with their web interface. I truly believe that the future of software is in web apps interface.

But I already use Gmail along with Google Apps. It's just one too many email accounts for me. I like the short domain name--GMX.com--but I rather have my personal domain name with the freedom of choosing user names.

I just can't say enough about GMX web interface. It's very impressive. Take that Microsoft! lol

Well I check it out and I have to say that I am not to found of the pop out window interface, and of course it is a combination of Windows Live and yahoo interface clone combination. Yeah I agree a short email address is always good, but the pop out window isn't to pleasing, and yeah I could easy pop it on windows live or outlook and not worry, and yah I got like 3 email accounts already, and maybe about 5-10 that I don't remember or completely forgotten about.

gmx mail rocks.. but it takes a long time to load..what i especially like about their service is that you can have at least 10 email-names under one account - useful for work, personal emails etc

GMX advantages and disadvantagesGmx Mail

GMX offers a superior interface and number of options compared to hotmail, and is better than yahoo because it doesn't (at the moment) have adverts all over the screen. Additionally, there is fantastic feature: the storage facility in which you can not only store your documents and files, but even share them with non-GMX email users by sending them an invite.

However, there are a number of bugs. My recent experiments with GMX have shown that the beta version is very buggy: one new account I created had the inbox folder freeze and refuse to update, and although the GMX staff offered to sort this out, it would involve them having to go into my account - far from ideal, not least because of the time lost on this problem. Additionally, there are several features that are great in principle but don't work at all: for example, if you receive an email with an attachment that you then want to store you can just right-click and send it to storage: Great! But if you then go into storage and right-click and ask GMX to attach the file to an email, it invariably fails. This is something that GMX has been aware of but haven't fixed in months and months. That is very disappointing because it's a really cool feature. (By comparison: Zoho allow you to attach stored files to emails, but don't have the feature that allows you to move attachments to storage, or the ability to share with non-Zoho users.) 

Finally, there are some things that GMX could really do to make their email service absolutely brilliant: add hierarchical labels to the ways in which emails may be organised - gmail have famously not done this despite it being a feature many of their users demand and GMX could really steal the show. You could still keep folders for people that prefer to use those (or folders and labels). 

So to summarise, GMX would be fantastic if they did the following:

1. Make documents in Storage capable of going out as attachments.

2. Include hierarchical labels.

3. Make the thing less buggy overall.

-reply by Stan

GMX wonGmx MailI have followed the instruction from the website to "add new email account" using outlook and it won't communicate with the server. Does it have to have a specific SSL?-question by Gary

Problem & Solution with GMXGmx Mail

Recently I ran into a problem with Outlook and GMX.  I'd been using GMX for several months without incident, then things started going wrong.  Outlook would receive emails but couldn't send.  I ripped my hair out for several days, looking on forums, asking questions... Finally it dawned on me that my ISP has a firewall built in.  I went to my ISP and checked the firewall settings.  Sure enough they had changed it to full protection - nothing gets in or out without permission.

I reduced the firewall setting  to allow more traffic and (voila`) Outlook magically came back to life.

I decided to leave the firewall at full protection and only reduce it for sending emails.  It's less convenient but I only send emails a few times/week and prefer the protection.

-reply by Greg Benoit

I just signed up (10-24-09) for gmx email and now, just a few minutes later, I can't get on. I can't even get a sign up page to come up. Does this service really exist?

Why isn't there a help page?

Why would they go to the trouble and expense to attract new users, only to not facilitate access? 

Are you having any problems just getting on gmx?

Any suggestions/ help?

Thanks!

GMX Email UnreliableGmx MailThis free service sucks big time. After sign-up, I could not log in for several weeks. I was close to giving-up on them, suddendly it worked.Since then, more then often, about twice a week, I cant log-in, receive mail or do anything, like their servers are down. Today again. With Outlook I get the following error message:Cket Error:10060 Error Number: 0x800CCC0EI don't get it. How can they survive for that long?I am switching to Gmail-reply by chris

I recently was looking through free online emails and I came across GMX mail, I know its not unheard of but ive noticed it is very good, better than hotmail and gmail i would say, I especially like the mail sorter. my only concern is the load time and using hotmail im not too fussed, apart from that this is a brilliant email program which runs online and give simular features too email desktop programs but with a web based interface

GMX is similar to mail.com. I only use GMX for disposable emails. I would personally go with gmail, because they have small text ads, and very large storage space.(Around 7200 MB) Anyway, if you are going to make GMX your primary email, make sure to back up your messages sometimes, because those smaller mail providers occasionally have problems. Another downside of small mail providers is that the spam filter is not exactly what you'd call "great". They're either too strict(block every single email except accepted contacts) or too loose(small spam database, or let in every single email unless marked as spam). You can go with GMX. Overall, their not that bad. Loading is quick, so you should never have problems with that.

Just try out all mail providers. You'll get one that suits you eventually.

Lol it's Hotmail for me.I tried making spam accounts with GMX and when I click on a message it doesn't do anything lolHotmail is from Microsoft is I'm know it's secure.. I think I'll stick with Hotmail

GMX.com stay away!Gmx Mail

I went to GMX.Com (Gestapo Mail Xchange) on the horrible and yet consistently misleading advice of an ?About.Com? staff writer and I registered, got the confirmation link, went to sign in and I was blocked from ever entering. I was told my account had been blocked - no reason given. After going to the forums and trying to find out why my new account has been blocked I found out that it?s common practice for GMX.Com to do what they call ?Security sweeps? and block random users suspected of being spammers. Also, after writing to the the company my secondary e-mail address I used as a password verification/recovery was spammed beyond belief. After begging them to delete the ?never? used account I received an email asking for copies of my personal information, drivers license, student I.D. And so on. The Email had a copy of my original complaint & concerns about not being able to log in as well as my login name. Stay away from this product and the site, nothing good can come from this bed of spammers and less than reputable sort.

-reply by Lucifer Actual