xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Spinal Bifida Anyone with SP?

Hello.Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes.I am 46yrs old and have spinal Bifida "open Spine" When I was growing up my mother and father thought that it was best that I use a wheel chair. Myself I always wanted to walk.as time went by my dream on walking faded, that is until I got really sick with a UTI, and ended up in a hospital. With a very high fever, I had a strange dream of my late father standing at the end of my bed saying. Get Help or you will do what you have dreamed of. Crazy as it is. the next day my fever broke but I still remembered the "dream" well the doctor in charge thought that it would be a good idea for me to go into a "rehab" to recover fully. While I was there theywanted to know if it was safe for me to stand long enough to tranfer from the chair to the bed or another chair. Ofcorse I told them yes but they had to have a doctors okay.Well that got the ball rolling. The doctor they sent me to just happend to know a lot of SP. He asked me if I had thought of walking.I told him the story of my mom and dad placing me in the chair when I was 5 or 6 and that I have not walked since.Well that was 8yrs ago. Now I am up on a walking, braces to the hip, one knee replaced, but I am walking.I was wondering if there any other people that have SP that started walking again so late in life?TY

Hi again Echo_of_Thunder (John). I have a friend who has Spina Bifida who is, I think, 40 ish. She walked at a younger age, but became wheelchair bound as she grew older. Not what you want to hear, of course. She had trouble with quivering legs and had some nerves severed to stop that. She also has scoliosis. Her left arm and hand are paralized from a birth delivery accident of some kind. She buzzes around in her motorized chair, seems to have resolved her inner demons caused by her condition and is one of the happiest people I know. We live in a town of about 6,000 where there is little help for her, but somehow she manages to keep up her spirits. The local dial-a-ride makes getting around a little easier for her. There is no help group for her specific conditions, but she attends a local church group which is very supportive.

It is wonderful to hear that you are able to walk after so long. Just goes to show that if you never give up, GOOD THINGS CAN HAPPEN. :lol:

amen to that. I still have a long road ahead. maybe a double hip replacement someplace down the line. But I have learned one thing for sure. when people say you can't? you find a way you can.

well as I have told you all, I have spina bifida. It has been a long road so far and a lot more to go.I am in Physical Therapy and walking on a walker. doing about 50 feet. A little trouble with the knee that was replace when it rains. My Physical theapist is amazed that someone my age had the want and the drive to do what I am doing. Just proves the old saying. once you set your mind on something, you can do what you want, if you want it bad enough as I do.

post-59194-1211148196_thumb.jpg