xisto Community
savge17

Computer Speed Enhancer. how to speed up your computer

I posted this tutorial here a very long time ago, almost been 2 years since then and its helped a lot of people increase their speed, so here it is:

Posted Image

The first step is to go start/run.

Posted Image

Next in the run bar type "msconfig"

Posted Image

Now here is where you need to be, the system configuration utility.

Posted Image

Here are some programs that you don't need necessarily, you can disable witch ever ones you feel are necessary. (dont disable microsoft programs unless you're sure).

Here is an example of what program I unchecked:

Posted Image

------------------------------

Posted Image

The next step go under startup and uncheck the programs that you don't want to run when your computer starts up. Its like for instance AOL when it starts running when your computer loads. You don't want this to load because it slows your computers speed. Make sure you don't uncheck microsoft applications unless you're sure it has nothing to do with the bios or hardware etc.

Here are some of the programs I unchecked:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Thats it you're done. Restart you're computer and you should notice some smooth riding. I hope this helps some people. :lol:

Nice! I tried it and it worked great....though for the startup I wasn't all that sure which were Microsoft .......I liked the 'Hide all Microsoft' ones for the services.

Don't do that. MSCONFIG was meant to be used as a diagnostics ultility...If you use it that way you may get what is called a "memory leak", if you want to stop startup programs, get CCleaner...

Don't do that. MSCONFIG was meant to be used as a diagnostics utility...

If you use it that way you may get what is called a "memory leak", if you want to stop startup programs, get CCleaner...

All that does is stops from programs taking cpu when starting up.It doesn't really help overall :P.If you don't know what you are doing or can't follow instructions, better not do this then blame it on the TC.Also how can you get a memory leak by doing this?

P.S. CCleaner is extremely helpful in freeing HDD space ^_^

EDIT: You can safely disable all start up programs not services

Edited by the need for speed (see edit history)

One thing a lot of people overlook is fonts. On Windows, removing fonts can make a big difference to your startup and login times. Move fonts that you don't use to another folder, so they don't get loaded automatically. Then, just copy them across when you need them, and take them out when you have finished working with them (for example, after you finish a project using that font).

Don't do that. MSCONFIG was meant to be used as a diagnostics ultility...
If you use it that way you may get what is called a "memory leak", if you want to stop startup programs, get CCleaner...

A memory leak is normally caused by small errors when programming an application. I can't see how not launching a program would cause a memory leak? Have you got a more detailed explanation of how this memory leak occurs?

Also, third party software really isn't needed for stopping startup programs. If I remember correctly, you can right click on the My Computer icon, and hit Manage. Go into the Services section and disable the ones you don't want. That does exactly the same as a third party app will do, but saves you a download, and often some money.

One thing a lot of people overlook is fonts. On Windows, removing fonts can make a big difference to your startup and login times. Move fonts that you don't use to another folder, so they don't get loaded automatically. Then, just copy them across when you need them, and take them out when you have finished working with them (for example, after you finish a project using that font).A memory leak is normally caused by small errors when programming an application. I can't see how not launching a program would cause a memory leak? Have you got a more detailed explanation of how this memory leak occurs?

Also, third party software really isn't needed for stopping startup programs. If I remember correctly, you can right click on the My Computer icon, and hit Manage. Go into the Services section and disable the ones you don't want. That does exactly the same as a third party app will do, but saves you a download, and often some money.

I don't think fonts will get you far unless you have like 4000 fonts installed then you can delete the ones you don't use or put it in another folder as rvalkass has said ^_^ MSCONFIG cannot cause a memory leak because it is a system tool.Only when a software is badly developed *cough*firefox*cough* then it happens.

Which third party software were we talking about because CCleaner can also do it and its free but just follow the instructions and you should be set :P They are many methods to disable what to start when the system boots up :P Oh and "Do application really charge money to do a simple task"? :D

Thanks for this great guide, I did as you instructed and my computer seems to be loading faster because I disabled some of the things I don't use on startup.I appreciate you making this guide a lot,Nick

Thanks alot! I have so many useless programs that use so much of my CPU when i startup and it took 10 minutes for my computer to sort itself out before i could do anything!Thanks for the help,tracdoor.

If you have the program spybot S&D there is a tool in i that will help you with this, it can give extra information on the stuff you are stopping like where the service originated from (as in what folder) which can help you make a more informed decision as to wither or not it is useful. (It also will tell you if a startup item is associated with a virus and color codes the entries as to what level of safeness they are, Green for good, yellow for unknown or optional, and red for dangerous or bad)

Edited by KainRacure (see edit history)

All that does is stops from programs taking cpu when starting up.It doesn't really help overall cool.gif.If you don't know what you are doing or can't follow instructions, better not do this then blame it on the TC.Also how can you get a memory leak by doing this?
P.S. CCleaner is extremely helpful in freeing HDD space smile.gif

EDIT: You can safely disable all start up programs not services

For many programs disabling their "startup" command without the program knowing may cause the program to encounter problems, I've had this problem when I tried to use MSCONFIG to disable HP printer programs from loading, but whenever I tried to run the program again, it encounters an error, and the blue screen occurs, I re-checked the program on MSCONFIG and it worked perfectly, when I used CCleaner to disable it, it just started normally...

Not all programs are affected by the MSCONFIG "trick" but some programs are vastly affected, and even if programs aren't tied to startup they are affected.

A very good example of this is Supreme Commander, when I used to play this game it would work perfectly, and would only cause memory leak when I have 300+ units on the field and have 0% RAM left.

But when I used MSCONFIG to disable startup programs so that I don't have to close programs through task manager every time I want to pay Supreme Commander, Supreme Commander would go blue-screen every around 10 minutes, but when I used CCleaner to disable startup programs, it went back to its original state.

I'm not saying don't use MSCONFIG at all, just be careful with its use and even programs not linked to it may be affected...

EDIT: The memory leak issue may have been fixed by an update/patch because the article linking to Microsoft's explanation of MSCONFIG and memory leaks is dead
Edited by csp4.0 (see edit history)

thats a good tut - but the best way to make your pc to go faster is save all your work to a usb pen drive or something and then reinstall your pc - its quick and it lasts a good 6-12 months ^_^. my pc is 6 years old and its unmodified and still runs a dream

to keep your computer running fast and right what you need to do is going into start programs accessories then go into system tools and do disk clean up at least once a day and also do disk defragmenter at least once a month depending on how much you download if you dont download alot or very little then you might not have to do disk defragmenter that often but check it at least once a month.. now for you crazy downloaders lol like i am i cant lie lol you should check it at least once every two weeks to keep your computer from slowing down and trust me you dont want it to get ahead of you cause if you do wow it will take so long for it to finish and trust me it is so worth it