xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
YungOdo

Jail Or Service?

I wanted to get some opinions on an idea that's been going around for a long time. The concept is that convicted felons get the choice of serving their full time in jail/prison or they can be resolved of or have their sentence greatly reduced by serving in the Military. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I think it's a good thing in most respects. I've talked to multiple people who say the military has done a lot for them, so maybe it can do a lot to help criminals get back on track. In my opinion, any sort of method that attempts to rehabilitate people instead of sending them to jail is probably a good idea.

Make them serve in the military for at least 1.5 times their jail sentence; that would be fair. As well, they should probably be treated about 1.5 times as bad as the other people, since they are involuntarily there. Maybe allow the officers to actually hit them... then they'd be wishing they had chosen jail.

I'm just kidding, of course. Just treat them as regular militia-men. Who knows, they might even get promoted to "corporal".

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

i cant say it's a bad or good idea beacause i'm not to fond of the military or jail. you can think about it this way prison is for a person that has done something wrong and need to pay for what they did. but the military is for people that want to help protect their country so allowing a criminal to join the military would be like putting those good people that want to help their country and those bad ones that harmed the country in the same catagory.you can also thing about it has going to the military is basicly a death sentence so it only makes sence to send a criminal to the military. :lol:

I think there are plenty of people that commit crimes, even crimes that would land them in jail, that don't fit the classic "criminal" stereotype. I know plenty of people who break the law, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily bad people, and plenty of criminals are patriotic about their country and would be willing to protect it. The military provides a very structured and rigid environment with set rules. Sometimes, thats all a person needs to put their life back on track.On the other side, there are people who are convicted of crimes that should definitely not be a part of the military, but I don't think judges choose to give those people the option of joining the military. I think the option is only given when the conduct of the person warrants it.

I'm not sure drafting militia amongst prison inmates is a good idea. For one, they are human and, more likely, the prouder ones will probably see things as though the state (or nation) owes them. If ever they get into the military, what will prevent them from defecting to the other side, divulging tactical information and bringing down the state that has "wronged" them?Also, think about this. Would you, as a sane person, place a firearm at the hands of a convicted felon? Would you really think you can keep them on a leash with promises of freedom when they can free themselves now that they are armed? Would you, as a law-abiding citizen working for the government, trust them to watch your back in the battlefield?There has to be a way, though, to keep them on a short leash but I'm sure people in the humanitarian organizations will have a lot to say about it. Seriously, though, if we could implant remote-controlled detonators in their abdomen, that'd be great, though, I must point out, any jamming equipment will either lead to the ka-blam of an ally or a defection of a soldier.Overall, no. I don't think it's a good idea. We need to reform these... scum of the society; probably the last thing they'll need is a violent environment :lol: