xisto Community
heavensounds

Firefox 3 - Lowest Memory Usage

Mozilla Firefox development team is curently working on the third reincarnation of its browser, which already gor to the fourth beta version. Authors say that apart from gaining quite some speed, they also managed to lower the usage of RAM.

ArsTechnica decided to test what they say and so they tested Firefox 3 beta 4, Firefox 2.0.0.12, Opero 9.5 beta, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8 ter Safari 3.0.4 beta in the Talos framework on Windows Vista. Talos framework emulates normal usage of a browser with opening and closing of sites. IE8 and Safari both crashed during the tests so their results couldn't be determined precisely. Among the rest three, Firefox really used the lowest amount of RAM and there was also more free RAM after a certain page was closed.

So yes..if we trust ArsTechnica, Firefox is the low-memory solution...

Yeah memory has improved somewhat, I once spike firefox2 at almost 500,000 bytes the other day, well odds are all these extensions were the cause of it Still it takes firefox 3b4 a little longer to use memory so a lot of hole have been patched to fix the memory problem. Of course I wouldn't doubt most of those holes are coming from the extensions either but I guess we will findout once everyone starts updating them to firefox 3.

Nice... They finally fixed the memory issue, which I am pretty sure that it wasnt due to the extensions because it happened at work were I dont have any extension installed in the browser. It would spike up to 200m after as little as 30 minutes of use, it also does that in my home computer. I was getting really annoyed with it, because most of the time it would slow down the computer tremendously and I would have to force the task manager to end the application. That was something that never really happened with the first versions of firefox, even with extensions.

Mozilla Firefox development team is curently working on the third reincarnation of its browser, which already gor to the fourth beta version. Authors say that apart from gaining quite some speed, they also managed to lower the usage of RAM.
ArsTechnica decided to test what they say and so they tested Firefox 3 beta 4, Firefox 2.0.0.12, Opero 9.5 beta, Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 8 ter Safari 3.0.4 beta in the Talos framework on Windows Vista. Talos framework emulates normal usage of a browser with opening and closing of sites. IE8 and Safari both crashed during the tests so their results couldn't be determined precisely. Among the rest three, Firefox really used the lowest amount of RAM and there was also more free RAM after a certain page was closed.

I am not trying to bash ArsTechnica but they should be testing full running versions instead of betas and on top of that, Safari is already out with 3.1 and it is funny that they used 3.0.4 beta to actually gauge the memory usage of each individual browser. With regards to memory, with tabs it is bound to have a huge load on the memory usage because of the number of pages being rendered. But I do not think Firefox would be the low-memory solution once all the extension kicks in.

Yes, its true that FIREFOX 3 uses lowest memory compared to most of the browsers on the web. I have to approve Qupis applications and I m used to opening 50+ tabs in my browser.

Firefox 2 LAGGED.
Opera was FAST but somehow I never liked its interface and its rendering of my web pages.

FireFox 3 SIMPLY rocks with the lowest system resource usage and BLAZING fast speed.

While only using 53,000kb the features are good and runs more smoothly now. I havent ran across any sites that doesnt work with this yet (tho i havent tested it out enough). its going to be the top browser once again when the final is released. The other beta's(IE 8, Opera 9.5 and Safari) were rated lower as beta in comparison.

I'd also be interested to see how Firefox 3 handles Macromedia (err Adobe) Flash games whilst browsing other windows at the same time. I'm hoping it would be little to no problems, considering the occasional freezing issues that may happen in Firefox 2.

Get more speed is very nice. As for surfing and watching videos on youtube and metacafe as they will buffer very fast. According to me the saving in RAM would be so nice as i will be able to play online games much easily and that the games wont lag at all.

gr8 man i didnt know btw thank u for the informnation hope safari and opera will also compete with firefoxand i hope it will be soon and for then best of luck and thank u vey much